Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, March 14, 2011

The iPad

I have a few comments about this special piece of technology, and I thought I would share them today,

First of all, it is a beautiful little item, and it's a pure delight to carry it around the house. It fits so perfectly sitting on the palm of my hand, and is extremely lightweight. When you turn it on, it powers up much more quickly than any computer I've ever used. The device measures 9-1/2 by 7-1/2, although the actual usable part of the screen is about 7-1/2 x 5-1/2. It is easy to zoom in or out.

My main problem is the type pad. I learned to type way back in high school, and my skill at it became very highly developed. I have never lost those skills and to this day I don't look at the keyboard when I type. With the iPad you have to look. Letters, and some punctuation marks are on one screen labeled the "ABC" screen. You must go to the "123" screen for the.numbers and the rest of the punctuation. it becomes more intuitive as you type and automatically switches to the proper screen in some cases, It will also correct some spelling/typing errors, although not all.

It is not possible to "rest your fingers" on the keyboard, so you cannot tell where you are except by looking continuously. That is a big aggravation for me. If you use the texting feature on your cell phone and actually like it, then you should feel very comfortable using the iPad and quickly become acclimated. I don't text at all, because my thumbs operate the space bar and no other keys. To text a
one-line message takes me forever.

It is an expensive piece of equipment unless you learn to love it and use it, which I never will, so I plan to return it sometime this week. But if you have even considered it, then I would say go for it. You will probably love it. I would love it except that I know myself well enough to realize I would never get used to the keypad.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks so very much for talking about the IPAD. I too am very fast and don't look at the keyboard. On the phone (Droid) I'm using swipe, which is a bit easier. I don't think that's a function on the IPDAD. No reason to keep it if you can't use it. I'll have to think hard about getting one. So got a new camera instead. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I told you before, we returned our similar unit. Neither my wife nor I text. Also it was not compatible with my camera. I will leave things like that to the young people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you will not get your monies worth, so it makes sense to return it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a "netbook" for a few years now. It is a windows mini-laptop - no CD drive. It has a keyboard and I like it, even though it is bigger than an IPad. I downloaded the free Kindle App and can read ebooks on it. It's convenient enough to read on the couch or in bed, but the bottom can get warm, so I usually put something under it to vent it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I'd love to have one, but can't justify it. I know if I bought one I'd be returning it, too. I did buy a small Netbook like Teri was talking about, but returned it. I have my laptop with a 17" screen. It's perfect and I love it. Kind of large, like a laptop/desktop, but it got me used to using a laptop keyboard. You might like it. It's an HP Pavilion Entertainment PC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - sorry! You'd never like my laptop - you're a Mac person. You're right about the Windows 7, though, I DO love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the input. If I won an IPAD I wouldn't turn it down but I don't think I'll go out and spend any money on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great comments about the ipad and pretty much why I don't have one and don't text.

    We must be twins. I learned to type in HS and got very proficient at it and actually love to do it. I never look at my hands and wouldn't want to have to.

    So thanks for the heads up that let me know my decision for myself was the right one. I do just LOVE my laptop.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do have a special keypad for the ipad at the Apple stores, but then it's another cost to add to the high ipad anyway. Eldy uses his a lot for solitaire and for reading. Three thousand, five hundred solitaire games on it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. iPads have Bluetooth capability. Buy an apple Bluetooth keyboard and use that rather than touch pad on screen. I have and it's the best decision, as like you I am a typist from way back and using the traditional keyboard is much more comfortable

    ReplyDelete
  11. I learned to type the same as you so know I wouldn't like it either. Thanks for the info. I am wondering about the e-readers though. A lot of people talk about them and the text can be enlarged so, thinking about getting one of those, but must admit I really like holding a book.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm one of those old high school trained typing people as well & find keyboards totally perfect for me to use. I've never really understood why a person would want something so small that you can only use the peek & peck method to type. Same idea as watching a big epic movie on a little screen no bigger than half a dozen postage stamps put together. Now how Moronic is that. I think desk tops & laptops are great no matter whether they are Microsoft or Mac. I'm OK with Microsoft & would probably be perfectly happy with a Mac as well if I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer a regular keyboard as well, but have learned that I can two finger type on the iPad pretty well.

    Don't forget, you can get a regular keypad for it if you like.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a longtime lurker. I read somewhere that if you have a cell phone and a laptop, you don't need an Ipad. I have an Ipod touch with the same on-screen keyboard, but do very little typing on it, as I am also a touch typist from HS days. I use the Touch for reading books, keeping a calendar and contacts with me. I can link to a wifi networks to do a quick email check.I can play Scrabble, too :)
    The Ipad is very cool to play with, but it wouldn't fulfill any necessary functions for me. You're probably smart to return it.

    ReplyDelete