Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Sacramento Summer

Summer has arrived, and 90F in Sacramento is HOT and I don't care if it IS a dry heat!

We left Jeannie's this morning at 8:00 a.m. with Ara driving for the downtown Farmers' Market. It is held under the freeway overpass and parking is plentiful in the surrounding area. We got our coffee, and split our baked treats 3 ways each: cinnamon roll, pecan sticky bun, and fruit turnover. We took it across the street to the park and found a bench in the shade. You can barely make out the market across the street.




The market had every kind of produce imaginable, and all in beautiful condition. I can't stop eating the bing cherries I bought, plus I got straight from the farm brown organic eggs, collards and several kinds of squash. We decided to go every Sunday morning, so I didn't want to load up with too many items and then have them go to waste. So many choices, and all family farmers.

From there we went to nearby William Land Park (one of the urban hikes in my book) but since I didn't have the book with me we really didn't know where to begin or what route to follow. Jeannie likes to walk an hour at a fast pace for exercise so we found a small lake with a walkway around it - we told her to go on as fast as she wanted and we would stroll. After a couple of rounds, Ara and I found a nice shady bench and discussed the problems of the world.



From there we came back to Fair Oaks and had lunch at an outdoor-seating restaurant with a vegetarian menu. I had a veggie taco and the girls each had a nut burger. The food is really excellent and all the ingredients are super fresh, although I know there are folks who wouldn't touch it. It was cool where we sat in the shade, and of course the ubiquitous chickens were roaming around.

They dropped me off at home, and I put everything away quickly so I could take a nap.

Ara knows how much I want to go camping, and she's always been into camping and does quite a bit of it while in school in PA, so she's agreed that we should go camping for a few days at Mt. Shasta. The entire Shasta area is huge and I'm not sure how to begin looking for campsites - we both want the back country, walk-in tent sites though. I should come away with great pictures from there!

11 comments:

  1. Never had a nut burger but I've been called one a few times. That Shasta camping plan sounds like a go:))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the cinnamon roll, pecan sticky bun and even the fruit turnover might have been o.k., but a Nut Burger?? Tell me, do you put cheese, onions, mustard and mayo on one of those?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What great pics of you 3. Looks like you all had a great day together. That camping trip with Ara sounds just the ticket for you Gypsy. I hope you guys make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a great day and you look so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy,

    It looks like you had a wonderful day. All the photos are nice, but I especially like the one of the three you. Camping in Mt. Shasta sounds like fun, look forward to reading about it and seeing the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sure would like to find a farmer's market, especially when it's time for tomatoes! There has been so much rain around Yellowstone this spring that I'd probably have to swim to the market. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh I love farmers markets! What a fun day you must have had, and what a lovely family!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. ohhh I love farmers markets! What a fun day you must have had, and what a lovely family!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh I love farmers markets! What a fun day you must have had, and what a lovely family!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. ohhh I love farmers markets! What a fun day you must have had, and what a lovely family!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is indeed a great day specially because you appreciated it so much.

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete