Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A beautiful day!

Today has been absolutely perfect, weather wise. It's about 10 degrees cooler than yesterday, for one thing. I've just taken my time doing everything today, and enjoyed every minute.

I drove to the Bel Air grocery and also visited the Western Feed Store while I was at it, to see if they had bird seed. The clerk was knowledgeable and told me the finches were no longer in this area as it is too hot. They've probably flown north to Vancouver, BC! He also said that the birds might not be visiting my feeder just because there aren't many in the area. He said he's known one house to have lots of them at the feeders, while another house just a block or so away won't have any. It fits with my experience, so I took down the thistle for the finches when I came home, and will have to figure out where to store the bird feeder until another time or place. I keep getting the hummingbirds though. Even Gladys noticed them yesterday when she was here.

It was nice going down to the Village with Gladys. She used to work there, right on the main street, and knew what had been in the buildings and what had changed. She showed me where the feed store had been, and I guess that's the one that is now all fixed up (expensive too) in the shopping center. Everywhere we went people stopped her to say hi.

One good thing about visiting the feed store is that I found out there is a visiting veterinarian who is there on Sunday mornings, and who administers vaccinations. I'm going to take Lady on Sunday to get her rabies shot that is about 3 months past due. The charge will be $10, probably a fraction of what it would cost if I went to a vet's office, and the office would no doubt try to insist on a complete exam of the dog, and figure out some medicine to prescribe.

I made a meat loaf for supper tonight, and I know I am probably the only person in the country who can mess up a meat loaf. It tastes great but it falls apart. I never could make a decent one. I also had lots of fresh vegetables that I bought at the Farmer's Market on Sunday. Good eating! I could do without the meat but I get tired if I don't eat it once in a while. I love vegetables, providing they are fresh and not overcooked.

Thanks to those who responded to my question about World War II paratroopers in yesterday's blog. Here is the article I was referring to:

NOTE: Harold had service during World War II. He enlisted April 30, 1943, at New Cumberland, Pennsylvania, and was posted to England prior to "D" Day. He jumped onto Omaha Beach at the Normandy invasion with the 101st Airborne Division, later in the 82nd Airborne Division at Bastogne, Belguim, serving in the European Theater of Operations until June 21, 1945. He had a further 2 months in British Guyana.

Thanks to Rick for the information about Bastogne. I should have remembered it, because I'm aware there is a "Nuts Museum" in that city. And the paratroopers who were dropped off target and got hung up on spires and buildings were in St. Mere Eglise. I can remember a movie with John Wayne, and I cringed every time he said "St. Mere-Eglise", in his cowboy accent. (I always thought he was a bad actor, but not quite as bad as Ronald Reagan.)

Tomorrow I need to find a hairdresser, as I haven't been able to get in touch with the one I last went to. She is too busy and it's always a wait to see her, so I'll have to take my chances with someone else.

In case anyone is wondering, I vacuumed the carpets yesterday and sprayed Febreeze to try to neutralize the doggie odor, and cleared some clutter off the coffee table. The kitchen counter tops were shining, although I didn't try to hide the things I normally have out. I always try to keep the bathroom clean, so that wasn't a problem. I know it wouldn't pass muster for a neatnik, but it no doubt resembles what most folks' homes look like in their normal state. That suits me fine!

6 comments:

  1. I think a good meat loaf will be fragile (fall apart). To me one that holds together like glue is usually dry and will need a lot of ketchup!

    Good luck with the vet and hairdresser business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meatloaf has always been one of my favourite meals and I rather have them falling apart than rock solid! By the way, the movie with John Wayne that you were referring to is "The Longest Day". I think I've seen it about a dozen times! And John Wayne butchered St. Mere Elise every time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The secret to holding a good meat loaf together is add some sawdust.

    Our front yard bird feeder activity has dropped to about zero as well. It seems the bird's are most in need of food during the cooler spring months. We still have a few Red Wing Blackbirds, a few sparrows, & some Mourning Doves. The Goldfinches are all but gone....maybe over at the neighbor's huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want a meat loaf that sticks together, take your hamburg (I use part ground turkey or chicken but plain hamburg works too), add 1 or 2 packages of dry onion soup mix depending on how much hamburg you're using. Mix together. Guaranteed to stick together every time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm, meatloaf! I think I'll make one as soon as I figure out how to use the convection oven in this rig. I'll have more time now for that and catching up on my blog reading. I've been in "vacation mode" for the last 18 days while traveling with my sister and b-i-l. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every pet deserves a yearly exam. Blood test & stool test may reveal a problem that can be easily solved if detected early enough. Pets give us so much that we can surely do this for them.

    ReplyDelete