Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, June 3, 2010

On the road to Co$tco

I got to Co$tco about the time they opened this morning, so I had a nice leisurely walk around the store with my list. I didn't get much from my list, but I picked up a few things I wasn't looking for.

After reading Margie and Bruce's blog this morning describing their hike in Arches National Monument, I got the old urge to get out and go somewhere - do something! I'm not a stay-at-home person and this current inactivity is getting to me something fierce! It was therefore a "given" that while browsing through the book department I would come upon (and buy) "60 Hikes Within 60 Miles of Sacramento".

After putting my purchases away when I got home, I settled down to plot my list of hikes from the book. There is a quite comprehensive introductory section that contains good advice for hiking, and even an old hiker such as myself is smart to refresh her knowledge once in a while. I came to the section with the heading "Animal and Plant Hazards", and the first thing mentioned is "Mountain Lions". I had a sense of deja vu because I'm almost sure I read something of this nature last year in a book on hikes of Lassen. This is what the book has to say about mountain lions:

"Mountain Lions are important members of the natural community and may be found in this area. Although these animals are seldom seen, they can be unpredictable and have been known to attack humans without warning. It is best to hike with another person, and to keep children close when hiking. If you should encounter a mountain lion, wave your arms overhead and make plenty of noise to frighten it away.

This is a good thing for anyone to know who plans to hike in California, although I think mountain lions are found in just about all the states. Black bears don't frighten me, although I would hate to get to close to a mother with cubs, but mountain lions scare me to death, or at least the thought of an encounter with one scares me. But in reality, how many folks hike in the state of California each year, and how many encounter a mountain lion. Joggers have been attacked however. I'll have to be careful when planning my hikes, and maybe I'll start with the urban hike section.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention in your blog post today, Gypsy. Your new hiking book sounds great. I'm sure by the summers end you will have done several of them. Bears and mt. lions scare me, too. However, we have had a couple of scary close calls with domestic dogs when we've been walking in different neighborhoods in our travels. I was sure 2 mean boxers were going to eat us up one time in Hendersonville, NC. I'm thinking of getting some bear spray or something to keep with us when we go walking. The next time it could be a pit bull (or 5).

    Glad you got out for some adventure today, even if it was going to Costco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a lot of Cougars here on Vancouver Island and every year there seems to be a couple of fatal attacks by these big cats. I do think the best advice is to try and go with someone else if the hike is going to be in a fairly isolated place. Or, you could just hike up and down the aisles in Costco!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Texas you might hear the term "Panther" or Painter. Ft.Worth, where I was raised is refereed to as Panther City, in the old days, they would lay in the street and sleep. My family and I were hiking in Big Bend Natl. Park, in Texas along the river, through tall cane. When we got back home we heard of a "Panther" attack right where we were hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see those good old positive hiking thoughts emerging again. Mountain lions & bears....Phooey, tourists & crowded RV Parks scare me a whole lot more than they do!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just knew that Hitch Itch would start bugging you! Glad to hear you might get out and about with your vision improving every day. Good for you, you go, girl!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just knew that Hitch Itch would start bugging you! Glad to hear you might get out and about with your vision improving every day. Good for you, you go, girl!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete