Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, June 13, 2010

It's hot!

It is about 96F this afternoon, but the inside thermometer tells me it is about 75 so I suppose I'm cool. I just returned from walking Lady and even she was lagging.

This being the Sunday farmer's market day, I had planned to get up around 6 am. I awoke at 5 am to the sound of Lady, and she continued for an hour, licking, scratching, yawning, and all those annoying sounds dogs make. But at 5 in the morning right next to my bed? I would have given her away if someone had come along who wanted an obnoxious dog!

I couldn't resist the various kinds of squash - the smaller ones seem to be the most flavorful and I bought a few of at least 4 different varieties. Potatos, onions, parsley, spinach, and of course bing cherries, filled the bags I had brought with me. I mostly wandered around while Ara and Jeannie took their breakfast to the park. I knew I had enough coffee this morning and one more small cup would have caused me trouble - I don't know where the closest rest room is.

At one end are the meat and fish vendors - all organic, of course. Chickens and capons; pork, beef, & lamb. What I liked best this morning were the open tanks of live fish: white sturgeon, bass, carp, and catfish. The sturgeon are huge! Those were just the fish still swimming - another section had all sorts of fish iced down.

I was tempted to buy some raw almonds, but I'll get them another day. There were also a few garbanzo beans left, but they must have been in their very natural raw state because they didn't look like any garbanzos I've ever seen. Not being crazy about them, I've seen them in salads but that's about all. (And don't mention that yukky "H" word - really don't like the stuff!)

I have never been one to spend money buying fresh flowers, but if I did it would be difficult to choose from all the flowers there. There are also hundreds of plants of all sizes and varieties, and everything looked so fresh and healthy. I love shopping there.

I want to switch topics here and share a comment I received on yesterday's blog. I have been trying so hard to be patient about getting good eyesight back, and I believe the doctor that things will be ok, but this comment just gave me a real lift. Since I think there are a few readers who are facing cataract surgery, I know you will be interested as well. I'd like to reiterate that in almost all cases the eye heals very quickly and with little or no problem. I just had to be one of those with the problem! So here is the comment:

"I just wanted to commiserate with you on your eyes. It's been 10 months since my cataracts were removed, and I'm seeing well now. For awhile, I had the same off/on again blurriness. It will all go away. Soon.
emjay"

Thank you so much "emjay" - you've made my day - and my week - and the month ahead.

I'm going full speed ahead on trip planning (actually, I'm planning for the next three years), but I will be so happy when my 5th wheel sells and I can shop for something else. I am in a real quandary about what to get. I like the idea of a truck camper (slide in), as I already have the truck, I wouldn't need to license a TC, I could drive it to the grocery, back into campsites, and so on. The main objection is that I have sworn I never again want to deal with waste water tanks and hoses as long as I live. It wasn't a big deal to me to begin with, but as time went on I grew to really dislike the task.

When I was parked somewhere for a while, as at Lassen and Fort Pulaski, I could leave the hose hooked into the sewer, and I usually kept the grey and galley tanks open. But the day before having to empty the black I would go out and close the two valves to the other tanks so I would have something to rinse the black water from the hose, and that gets old -- running in and out, opening and shutting valves. Also, when emptying the black tank I followed up with several gallons of water through the tank, and just the running back and forth was tiring and boring. It would be easier for one person to sit inside and pour the fresh water into the tank while the person outside is doing all the other stuff, but I've fretted about that long enough.

I just don't like that job, and I don't want to do it on any type of camper. This leads me to favoring a teardrop, which can be ordered any way you want - they can accommodate a kitchen sink with hot water heater and fresh & grey water storage, although the tanks wouldn't hold much. I decided if I go the teardrop route I would definitely forgo the sink. I can fill a dishpan and set it on a picnic table, and do the few dishes I have that way, and then dump the dishpan in a proper place. As a matter of fact, I have decided that for whatever type of camper I buy next (or a tent which is still in the running), I will use only disposable plates and cups. I hate disposables being tossed into the landfills, but I think as long as I stay with biodegradable products rather than plastic, I would do it for short periods of time. I might take a couple of sets of cutlery rather than use plastic, or else wash the plastic along with the cookpots.

So I'm still studying the issue and the verdict is far from being reached. Whatever I decide on will be something that meets MY needs, which are not necessarily those of the average RVer. If it was just me I would go for the teardrop, which I've wanted to own for years before I even knew what a 5th wheel was. An image recently came to my mind of stopping for the night in a heavy rain. A teardrop doesn't really require much setting up under most circumstances, but then I thought of running to get inside - WITH THE DOG! I'm not sure I could sleep next to a wet dog in such a small space. Normally I dry her paws and fur when I get inside the door, but I will have to get something that is large enough to accommodate that task. A large canopy seems to do the trick for most people, but setting it up would be much easier in good weather.

As I said, I'm looking at the possibilities and these plus a tent are my favorites. Sure, I would love a nice class B or a class C, but they cost a lot more money and I'm not keen to lose money on another RV through normal depreciation. If I could afford a late model that would be relatively problem free for a few years it would be one thing, although from what I read there are problems with most RV's, new and old. I won't return to full time RVing, but would like to take 3 month trips now and then. And finally, at my age I absolutely refuse to finance anything.

12 comments:

  1. I like the camper shell on my truck a lot more than my tent. I gave the tent away about a month ago actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you aware that newer black water tanks come with a flush feature where you are able to hook up the water hose and let it run for a while. Evidentially there is a sprayer in the top of the tank that washes it down. This does require hooking up a hose from the water, but does not cause you to run in and out messing with water buckets and such in the bathroom. You just stand there and let the flush water run. I'm sure this feature could be added to even a camper shell slide on type rig.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you seen the Sportz? it is a tent,opens in the bed of your truck. www.sportzbynapier.com
    Also you might be able to order a camper shell, and then customize it to your needs. Looks like you are short enough to stand up in one. Just some thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking a truck mounted camper is a good idea. After reading your entire post carefully this is what I think: At least with a camper you are up off the ground during inclement weather. Tents can be tricky during really hard rain. In a camper you can have a nice bed to sleep in with real sheets. You can have a bathroom sink for brushing your teeth, etc. Now...you wouldn't have to connect anything but the gray water to the sewer. (or not at all) You can still use the campground facilities for showering and bathroom use, thus saving the hassle of holding tanks and so on. You could still do your dishes on the picnic table in a dishpan. In a camper, you'd have room for books, maps and stuff. Especially that great lighthouse map you have!!! :)

    Plus, with a truck camper you could still utilitze those great Nat'l. Forest CG's easily.

    Anyway, that's just my 2 cents worth. It wouldn't have to be a giant sized camper, just big enough for a nice lady and a great dog.

    Enjoy your week, Gypsy,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post & blog. Now that you are planning your next adventure I'd like to share with you a new (Free) iPhone app that should help with planning future rv/camping trips. We're quite proud of our app. Which lists 18,000 parks & lets you search for new parks by current location, state or city. Feel free to email me back with any questions or feedback on how we can improve our app and/or website. All of our reviews are created by real RV enthusiasts like yourself.

    iPhone app - http://rvparking.com/iphone

    Useful website - RVParking.com is a community site where anyone can review campgrounds,state parks and RV parks that they have visited for free.

    http://www.rvparking.com/

    Here's our results for RV Parks near Fort Pulaski. You mentioned above that was a site that you've used before. We'd really appreciate it if you took a few moments to add your thoughts to the RV Park that you stayed in.

    http://www.rvparking.com/parks?name=fort%20pulaski&distance[city]=fort%20pulaski&distance[search_distance]=30

    Happy RVin!
    Amanda
    amanda@rvparking.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Back in 91 I was in my Class B van at the Cypress Lake campground on the Bruce Penninsula in Ontario. A bunch of tenters were down at the lake partying. Two bears came in & tore up their tents looking for food. In the morning I took pictures of the shredded tents. No injuries but they cleared the park & closed it until the bears were caught & transported away. I think it was at the point while taking those shredded tent pics that I knew tenting would not be in my future anymore. I prefer the security of solid walls around me now while out in the wilds of Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never like tenting myself, just too miserable when it rains. I like the idea of a nice truck camper though my first choice would be one of the new PleasureCraft vans that are pretty much like mini-MH's.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you ever break down a tent in the rain an pack it for travel the hoses and dumping will seem like a heaven sent task in retrospect. Does not take long at all for any cloth (tent material to develop mildew. Unfolding and set-up of a wet tent is just one miserable step better than taking a wet one down.

    Be careful what you wish for - been there and done that!!! The tent thing that is. Smooshed up in teardrop in inclement weather might be worse than a tent.

    Martin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tents and rain just don't go well together. Plus I think you will sleep better with less aches and pains if you are up off the ground and somewhat insulated....well, that is my 2 cents worth. Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HI:
    Sounds like a VW Camper is the answer for you. I had one, and it was great. Had a camp stove for cooking, and a plastic dishpan. It was all self contained, good milage. Just under powered, so i couldn't do 400 miles a day without effort. Maybe you could find a nice used one.

    by the way, on the eye problem. I had problems with my first cataract surgery. Pressure was high, and blurry for maybe 3 weeks. Finally healed fine. Second I was a breeze. Just have faith, and keep doing the drops.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't do tents, but not saying you can't. I LOVE those teardrops. I saw one pulled behind a truck and a tiny one behind that with two dogs. It was quite an awesome setup. The main teardrop had a canvas drop for rainy days. Yes, they make sprayers for dump tanks. We have it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gypsy, I hate sewer hoses so much that I got a Pett toilet.
    It uses little plastic bags and Bio-Gel, which is safe enough to be thrown in the trash with everything in them.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete