Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 1, 2018

Odds and Ends

I haven't accomplished much but I did get a few things done.  I returned my iPad for one, and hope I never get excited over anything new in the computer world again.  It's all updated so fast and they have to do something that is noticeable - even if the reasoning is incomprehensible.  I will never understand why simple and easy is so frightening to techies and developers.  Change for the sake of change is pretty dumb, in my view.

Rocky managed to tear up a lot of things while I was gone for the short while it took to return the iPad.  I thought I had pretty much dog proofed the house, but the bathroom door just wasn't closed tightly enough and he had access to one of his favorite things to do - chew a roll of toilet paper!

I mailed my ballot today and feel relief that it is done.  I hope a lot of young voters cast their ballots - they are the ones who will be living with the results for the long run and they should turn out to express their choices.  

Rocky seems to be doing well on the special food I'm feeding him for about 10 days, although he accuses me of starving him!  He's not allowed to have any treats, but the vet did say I could use some of his food pellets as treats.  He's trying to make up for the lack of food and treats by eating paper!

 I have a problem that someone might have a solution for, although I can't imagine there being a solution except to get rid of my dog!  I have a very small and narrow electric stove in my kitchen - with 4 burners on top.  Because it is so small, two of the burners are close to the front edge, and I have a puppy that loves to put his 2 front paws on the stove while he's standing to see what he can possibly snatch, or maybe he just likes to see what is going on.

I am extremely careful when I have turned one of the burners on, although anyone who cooks with electric knows that they don't provide instant heat, nor do they instantly cool down when the burner is turned off.  Every time he jumps up and puts his paws anywhere near the 2 front burners I am terrified that the instance will come when I can't stop him in time. 

You can buy metal covers for the burners, although I wouldn't put a cover on until the burner had cooled down.  Any ideas?

I can remember the days when I longed for the weekend to arrive, and it always seemed that time flowed at a snail's pace.  Tomorrow is Friday, but yesterday was just Monday!

These were taken with my jitterbug phone which isn't really a very good camera!  I had a 6 pack  carrier with a couple of empty bottles that I had rinsed.  Evidently he can taste what was left after the rinse because he was fascinated with the bottles!  Click to enlarge the pictures.  Like a very young child, he likes the empty box more than what had been in it.

 







 

12 comments:

  1. Tried to post this yesterday but it didn’t work. Just wanted to say: be sure your peanut butter doesn’t contain xylitol. It’s a sweetener and is quite toxic to dogs. (I’m a vet ��)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a jar of peanut butter made exclusivel for dogs. It is Green Coast Peanut Butter and the label says it contains only 2 ingredients: USA grown peanuts and flaxseed - free of hydrogenated oil. I really appreciate your comment and thank you very much.

      Delete
  2. I only see two solution to the problem; learning the hard way if he refuses to stay down and the other is his crate until your done cooking and the stove is cool. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's going to have to be the crate, although he has free run in and out of it and I hate to make him think it's jail time. Better than a terrible burn though. Thanks very much.

      Delete
  3. I think as soon as Rocky’s feet get close to the heat normal reaction would be to get back instantly. Even a small burn would be sad but you know the saying, “once burned, twice shy” i wish both of you good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even want to think of it. He's just like an active child, and I have to try to protect him like he's my child.

      Delete
  4. I have a friend who has a golden and is the same age as Rocky, she is so calm and was surprised how well behaved she is. He has shoes all in his entry way and she has never even bothered with them. He got her when she was a little older than you picked up Rocky so maybe she had some pre training

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard, Rocky's behavior is typical of a labrador retriever. Also, he might have been one of the dominant pups in the litter and now that he is on his own, he think he's king!

      Delete
  5. Just cook on the rear burners. How often do you cook more than two things at a time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is an excellent idea, but the front right is the only large burner, Because it is an apartment size stove everything is sort of squeezed. I can try it though, and thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  6. Although it is ideal to match one's pans to the size of the burner, no harm will come if you use a larger-than-the-burner pan. It may just take a little longer to heat up, but if it is a heavy pan, the heat will be retained, and you will be golden! ;->

    A small consideration to alleviate the spectre of the harm that might come to Rocky.

    You could put a ruler or some other object over the front two burners to remind yourself not to use them. This would also serve as an alert if Rocky gets up onto the burner part of the stove, as the object will either fall to the floor, or just make noise to alert you to the potential problem.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas! I did cook something on one of the back burners today and it worked out fine. It's a minor thing to have to change to, in order to keep my baby safe!

      Delete