Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 15, 2018

Falling Apart!

I had hoped all the aches, pains, and ailments would hold off at least  until I reached 80, but I'm getting a glimpse of my future!  It's my left knee, that sometimes gives me a pain and then it wants to buckle up under me.  Scary when I'm a few blocks from home with a dog that is pulling on the leash!  I wish I knew what I might do about it, but I'm certainly not going to mention anything I don't have to mention to a doctor.  They are delighted to order tests, xrays, scans, multiple visits, etc.  I'm just not having any more of it if I can stand the pain and aggravation!  It might just be the cold, and it might be having a strong puppy nearly pulling me over while I'm trying to brace myself and hold on to the leash!  I sure don't see an easy life ahead of me these days.

Steve took me to my cardiologist appointment yesterday, and then we made a trip to Home Depot.  We went to a store that neither of us is familiar with and it was difficult trying to find things.  Next time I want to visit the store in Rancho Cordova, where if I can't find what I need, a store employee notices the perplexed look on my face and rushes up to help me!  They have the best employees of anyplace I've ever shopped!  So far Steve has repaired or replaced several door handle sets that were not operating properly, and we are working down a long list of fixes.  I have the tiles to replace the kitchen floor, and am going to order a butcher block countertop for the kitchen.  Little by little the place will start to look better, and I can enjoy it for a few months before I move.   It's not going to be easy to get things done with my nosy little pal hanging around.

Speaking of the "pal", I made the appointment for him for Nov. 27th to "lose his jewels"!  I don't recall 20 years ago that Smoky had to wear that cone for an entire week.  I just don't see how I'll be able to control Rocky for that time.  I forgot to ask if he will have to keep it on when he sleeps, but I would imagine it will be necessary.   I should look into the cost of a puppy motel for a week and drop him off, or maybe find a doggie caretaker and drop myself off at a nice motel for a week! 

The poor thing isn't getting enough exercise but the hazy air makes me worry about our lungs.  I didn't realize that there was as much still burning as there is.  I know the story and explanation for how it started, but something about it just doesn't ring true to me.  

I'm getting ready to eat dinner.  If I wait until a normal dinner hour I will lose my appetite completely!

Take care everyone, as we move up towards another weekend!

13 comments:

  1. If Rocky needs a cone collar you might look at the inflatable ones. It might be more comfortable for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I have never heard of them, but it does seem like it would be way more comfortable. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  2. I have an inflatable one if you want it. I live in the Tahoe Park area but could bring it to you if that's easier. My dog and I haven't been on walks or to the dog park since the fires. The little time I've been out - going to get lunch near my office, running errands - have given me a sore throat and headache. We need rain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can come and get it, but two of my kids are on vacation and I'm down to just one kid to drive me around. I would greatly appreciate it, and I can make arrangements to get it before his operation on Nov. 27. My email is at the top of this page, just below the picture, so we can keep in touch. Thank you for your very kind offer!

      Delete
  3. When our male had that operation he wore the cone that the vet gave us and he could lay down and sleep with it on. It didn't take him very long to get used to it but he sure was glad when it got removed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky is so stubborn that I can't imagine him going along with wearing it for a whole week, but maybe I'm wrong. I imagine he will be drowsy from the anesthetic and pain meds for a couple of days at first.

      Delete
  4. Get yourself a knee bandage for walking Rocky to be safe.

    When my guy got fixed he didn't wear a cone and he really didn't bother the area at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I'd thought about the bandage earlier as I got a grocery delivery this afternoon and they have a great assortment of things like that. I'll have to get one of my kids to drive me someplace I can get one. I could probably walk as far as the grocery store I use, but would worry about my knee giving out!

      Delete
  5. A week wearing the cone? In my opinion that is just cya from the vet. My labradoodle didn't wear a cone at all and he never licked the area. My son's lab wore the cone for a day and night and then was fine. Rocky is with you all the time anyway so you can keep an eye on him. If he starts to lick or chew the incision you can put the cone on for awhile and then take it off again. He is smart and will get the message.

    I second the knee bandage suggestion. They have simple ace bandage types that I have used in the past and are probably all you need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your confirmation of what I was thinking already. I don't remember my dog Smoky wearing a cone for very long, but it was a long time ago and I might have forgotten.

      Delete
    2. I respect my vet and I listen to their opinions but in the end I know my dogs and myself better than they do. As a result my actions are based on what works for us. The same with doctors and other professionals. Just remember you are in charge!

      Delete
  6. Staying in is a good idea. I just saw this for your area "The air quality index in Sacramento is currently at 316. Breathing in that air for a day is roughly equivalent to smoking 14 cigarettes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness. As a former heavy smoker I sure don't need smoke in my lungs at this age! I walk the dog when he needs to be walked, but this morning is was fairly good air. People were out sweeping up debris and working in their yards - most said that the morning was forecast to be clear and then the bad air moved in after Noon. The news says the end may be in sight for all the smoke pollution, but as far as I've heard, there are still fires burning.

      Delete