Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 8, 2018

Music!

I have been feeling a little "down" lately, and when I came across a 2-1/2 hr Youtube video from back in the 50's, featuring Lester Flatt & Earl Scruggs, plus a lot of other fine musicians, I decided to listen.  So I've been watching and listening part of yesterday and today.  Surprisingly, I can remember a lot of the words of most of the songs, so I was singing right along.  It is SO nice to hear music played on acoustical instruments, no wires draped everywhere, and the simplicity of TV back in the day.  The forward that accompanied this video apologized for the lack of hi tech sound and video taping, but to me, it was beautiful and just like old times.  And it's the music I love - Appalachian, bluegrass, hillbilly, or whatever you want to call it.  I also love the way they look - suits and ties, combed hair, clean shaven, sometimes a cowboy hat and sometimes not.  I never outgrew the  preference for that look!  And continuing in my favorite music, I'm now listening to Ralph Stanley and the Clinch Mtn. Boys!  

I have been cold all day until I took Rocky out around 2:00.  I was warm with a fleece shirt and fleece jacket over it! 

I walked into the living room this afternoon to see Rocky by the side door which was wide open.  It isn't closing properly lately, but I doubt he tried to open it.  I was so proud of him for not bolting out into the wild blue yonder! 

I went with Jeannie to Target this evening and bought two inexpensive floor lamps which I desperately needed.  Rocky had chewed the plug off both of my floor lamps and I haven't been able to use my living room after about 5:30, so I'm really happy to have light.   It will also be nice to have it early in the morning when Rocky decides it's time to greet the day!  Gone are the days when I conduct my life to suit me.






5 comments:

  1. I was cold today to, I had to take out my long pants as I had the service guy come by this morning and fire up the heater, we are going to drop down into the low - mid 40's for overnight lows and if I need to take a quick shower to get somewhere that would be to cold. I don't mind the cold one bit after the long summer.
    Enjoy your new lights as yes it is getting darker earlier and lighter later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was shocked to see that last night (and the entire coming week) nighttime lows are in the low-mid 30's! That is too cold to even get dressed, but I need to walk Rocky! He is as happy as a clam in this weather - labs have an inner and an outer coat, and the two of them allow them to be outdoors retrieving and in water! Not that I'm a hunter or would be anywhere near water, but he's ready for anything!

      Delete
  2. I love that music too but then I'm from Virginia so I've listened to it for a long time. Did you ever get to the Galax Fiddler's Convention?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I was never at that Convention. Please describe it for me - wish I still lived near events like that.

      Delete
    2. Being raised with one foot in Kentucky and one in Cincinnati, I've heard this music most of my life too. As a young child I listened to the Hillbilly Hit Parade on radio every night; I grew to love true Bluegrass, as well.

      Delete