Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Rocky lost a bit of weight!

Joe drove us to Banfield Pet Hospital (Petsmart) this morning at 8am, and got Rocky admitted.  His surgery has been performed and he is resting and doing quite well, as of when the vet called me a while ago.  I will pick him up around 2pm, and I'm grateful to have been able to get some things done while he isn't here to distract me.  I dread the cone, and when I asked the vet how long she thought he would need it she said a week to a week and a half!  I think they are giving me the worse-case scenario, and he will no doubt have some say as to how long he puts up with it.  They asked me if I wanted them to give me a course of sedatives and I jumped at the chance.  I told them if he didn't take them, I would!  Fingers are crossed  that this makes him settle down a bit, but I've not been encouraged by anyone that it will change his behavior.

After a couple of dry but cloudy days, we're having off and on rain today.  Temps in the 50's all week is fine by me.

Jeannie picked up a big tube of Icy Hot for my aching muscles and I'm surprised at how well it works.  I used it sparingly when I got it, and haven't had to use it since.   I'm glad to have it on hand, but I have to get down to business when it comes to training.   I can't have a dog that acts like he does when we meet anyone out on our walks or when the family comes over to visit.  I'll have to study up on works with labs, as Rocky thinks whatever they taught at the pet obedience class doesn't apply to him.

I think I'm going to try an every-other-day schedule of posting.  I said I would quit when I reached 1 Million views, and I have about 20k to go.

I need to go across the street to pick up my last load of laundry before leaving to pick up my baby!  Have a great day, and I'll be back soon.

13 comments:

  1. The surgery should slow Rocky down for a few days.
    We followed you for years before starting our Blog. Passed the Million last winter.
    You still have lots to write about now that you are part of the Blogger Family.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's slowed him down for the rest of today, at least. He's slept so much I wonder what he will be like during the night!

      Delete
  2. Long ago our Labrador breeder told me that when they jump up on you or others to step on their feet. This should be done with enough pressure that they realize what is happening. It does not hurt them. Over time, this works, as the dog begins to associate the pressure that is uncomfortable with jumping up on people, etc.. Ask me how I know - 3 Labradors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like something I should test with Rocky. I learned years ago about the "knee raised so they bump into it when they jump" method. It's always worked for me, and Rocky was quick to learn. I can't get anyone else to do it - if done without pushing them back, they just jump into an obstruction, your knee, and think it's their fault! The training class I took Rocky to insisted you turn your back on a dog that persists in jumping on you. I find he just jumps against people's backs when they turn away. Probably the folks who won't raise their knee to keep a puppy from jumping, will put a prong collar on them to keep them from pulling on the leash.

      Delete
  3. Gypsy, I just saw this on Facebook and thought you might be interested in it. It is made out of a pool noodle and won’t allow him to reach his wound but gives more movement than the traditional cone. I will email you the picture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have it on the list for the Dollar Store. They should have the materials year around.

      Delete
  4. I think Rocky should sleep well tonight and if he starts getting rowdy tomorrow just give him a pill. Now I said him not you LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He whined and cried most of last night and I sure didn't get good sleep! This can't go on for a week and a half.

      Delete
  5. "They asked me if I wanted them to give me a course of sedatives and I jumped at the chance. I told them if he didn't take them, I would!"

    Lordy, lordy I almost choked when I read this! jajajajajajajaja :D

    Seriously, I sincerely hope this helps him because that would sure help YOU.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After a sleepless night, he is doing pretty well today. We have been out on a couple of walks, and he's taken a few naps in my lap. I'm not getting a thing done, but at least I have an excuse! I think I deserve a beer right now!

      Delete
    2. You sure do Gypsy!

      I am hiding out from the cats and have not been outside though Paquito is crying by the kitchen door wanting to be let in. I will enjoy a nice cold beer or two this evening watching my Spurs play whether they win or lose.

      Delete
    3. I'd like to watch something on my new big TV screen, and it works for Donald but I can't get a thing on it. Next time he's here I will write down all the steps. Hope your Spurs give you a winner, but I think you enjoy the game, win or lose. I can't remember when I lost my desire to watch any kind of sports.

      Delete