Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

The patient is doing well!

He keeps trying to brush off that silly cone from around his neck, but so far he's fairly good about it.  It's difficult when he tries to go out the door and down about 5 steps, and then the return trip back up.  The cone definitely gets in his way.  Last night neither one of us got much sleep - we stayed in the living room and I tried to sleep on the couch.  I think the sedatives affected him as well, but we both survived until this morning.  I hope to sleep better tonight.  He whined and cried nearly the whole night long.

The vet's office always calls after a visit, and today they wanted to know if the patient was doing okay.  I told them that he would never get to the 10 day mark with that cone.  I looked at the surgery site and to tell the truth it didn't look bad at all - I couldn't see any stitches, but they may all be internal.  I'm just glad we have the first day behind us.

It has been drizzling or looking like rain all day long, but we have been able to get in a few short walks between the raindrops.  The cone sure gets in his way when he wants to taste something on the ground!

I haven't been able to duplicate Donald's skills with the TV so far, and I'll have to ask him to give me another lesson, which I will write down.  As remotes go it looks fairly easy, but I haven't had any luck. 

The days go by pretty quick lately with the shortest day of the year coming up in a few weeks.  I wish we could slow time down a bit.  I hope you all enjoy the rest of this week and the end of November.  I just can't believe December is almost upon us!

8 comments:

  1. The only purpose of the cone is to prevent Rocky from licking his incision. If you and he are in the same room and you can see if he tries to lick himself and stop him I see no reason why you have to make him wear the cone. My labradoodle never did wear one after his surgery. You will probably say "but the vet says he has too." So what. Rocky is your dog, you live with him and you are together all the time so you know best what works for him. Just keep the goal in mind which is not licking the incision and then make sure he doesn't in a way that works for you both.
    Stephany

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much for saying that. Of course this is only a day after the surgery, and I'm looking at him right now furiously trying to reach where he wants to lick. I feel so bad for him.

      Delete
  2. Still have the inflatable if you want to try it, though sg smith is right - you could limit cone use to when he's alone and take it off and keep an eye on him when you're home. Poor sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely am keeping it in mind. My son Steve used to live one block away from you. To tell the truth I'm hoping to be able to just take the thing off him in a couple more days. I'll have to see how it goes. Thank you so much.

      Delete
  3. I think I may have mentioned that my dog didn't wear a cone either I kept and eye on him to make sure he didn't try to lick the area and he did fine. So use your own judgement. He may have been whining more from not being able to get comfortable because of the cone not his surgery poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's getting better about the cone but it does get in the way. I feel so bad for him. I think if he's still trying to lick and reach the surgical area he would probably do so if I remove the cone, so I'll try to stick with it for a few more days. I live in a mobile home and I'm sure the hallway to the bath & bedrooms is way narrower than in a regular home. Poor Rocky has a difficult time walking down the hall because his head moves when he walks and the darn cone hits the walls!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. One thing about it, his appetite never wavers! Hungry all the time.

      Delete