Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 29, 2018

I knew he could do it!

I'm just surprised it took him two days!  Rocky got the snaps open on the cone and was in his crate chewing on one edge of the cone!

The rains have been pretty hard today.  There was a brief period of sun and I'm sorry I didn't take Rocky for a walk at that time.  I really don't want to go out at all - for one thing the streets are littered with leaves from the trees, and they are slippery.

After dinner I took the cone off and gave Rocky a break from it.  We were both sitting on the couch so I could keep a close eye on him.  I'm still not getting a good amount of sleep at night, so I think I will go to bed early tonight.  We should get a break tomorrow and get some sun, which will make it much easier to walk Rocky and maybe reduce some of his energy.   

Here's to a good weekend.  I'm hoping to get to Costco where I will probably spend way more money than I want to, but haven't been there for a while so I don't mind. 

A little update:  This morning Rocky never heard of the words "heel" or "easy".  Yesterday must have been a fluke!  He was awful and never once loosened the tension.   As often, one step forward, two steps back.







5 comments:

  1. Ever since you posted about the cone Rocky has had to wear after his operation I wondered why they never put one on the only dog I have ever owned. Granted it was 27 years ago and performed at the Houston SPCA (low cost spay/neuter clinic)

    Also when I took Oscar (a stray) to have his porcupine quills surgically removed and opted to have him fixed since he was already there, they did not put a cone on him either. This surgery was performed in Mexico at a high end veterinary clinic. Wonder what gives?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had my male puppy Smoky neutered back in the mid 1990's in northern Virginia, and I don't recall him having to wear a cone - at least no longer than the first day possibly. I need to ask my sons who have better memories than I do. My feeling is that all medical systems for people as well as animals have expanded and try to enlarge and expand their practices In my teens our family had a dog we took once a year to the vet for some type of vaccination and an overall checkup. Now they emphasize frequent visits and dental care for pets. The vet recommended dental care for my dog, and hell, I can't even afford dental care for myself! Personally, I think it's the same with health care - medical providers want to expand their practices and obtain expensive and elaborate electronic devices, scans, etc. Are we healthier than the previous generation? Sorry, I'll get down off my soapbox now!

      By the way, whatever happened to Oscar and the female stray you tried to help?

      Delete
    2. "By the way, whatever happened to Oscar and the female stray you tried to help?"

      I wish I knew Gypsy. It was all very strange as one by one they disappeared in the month of May 2017. First Pedrito on May 5 which is Cinco de Mayo he ate and took off. I remember remarking to Mom that the dog had a better social life than I did!

      The next to go was Oscar he stopped showing up with Tammie (the other stray who also suffered the attack from the porcupine. I thought that was so strange since they were practically inseparable. Tammie came around the last week of May 2017 limping, ate and left never to be seen again.

      Both mother and I think the neighbor's drunkard and jobless step-son had something to do with their disappearance but we can not prove it. He hated them because they would always bark at him when he would come outside late at night to drink and listen to music inside his truck and then cross the street to relieve himself on the street side of our fence.

      Delete
  2. Our male dog wore a cone after he had that procedure done. He definitely did like it nor did he appreciate the operation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky never seemed to have any problem with pain after the operation. I put the cone on him if I can't be with him and watch him like a hawk, but now when we go out for walks I take it off him. If he jumps up on the couch and wants to sleep on my lap I will take it off as well. I will be more glad than he will be when we can finally toss that darn thing away. When he comes near me, that hard plastic hits my lower legs and really hurts, and I almost laugh watching him try to go down the hallway or to go in or out of doors!

      Delete