Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

I ran!

No, not for public office.  I ran with Rocky!  I sort of surprised myself - didn't over do it, but I ran for a short stint, then walked, then ran agan, and so on.  Rocky really got into the spirit of it all, and took his cue from me when I needed to slow down.  He is a delightful little boy, but I can't possibly recount the things he chews and destroys in just one day!  I have been losing a ballpoint pen a day, as well as bank statements,  and papers I can't even recognize when I catch him.  What he really wants is to get away with a sock from my laundry basket, and it has become a game for us - well, it's a game for him and an exercise in quickness and being alert for me!

I am expecting a grocery order today, and  it includes a couple of containers of plain yogurt, which I'll spoon out in small amounts for Rocky.  I hope he likes it because I sure can't stand the stuff, plain or flavored.  I'll only give him a small amount each day as I don't want to upset his digestive tract, although yogurt probably wouldn't be any worse than some of the stuff he picks up everywhere.  It speaks to my nimbleness that I can constantly pry open his jaws and stick my fingers in among those sharp teeth to remove things he shouldn't be chewing on.

I ran out of half & half this morning so I had to use whipped cream in my coffee to lighten it up.  That meant holding the cup out of sight of a certain member of my household who would be on me in a second if he knew I was holding whipped cream in my cup!

I think one difficult thing about the time change is meal times.  I usually eat when I'm hungry, mostly before 2 pm, but try to keep the dog on more of a schedule.  He can't tell time, but his stomach will be on daylight savings for a while.  I feel like I'm punishing him with the looks I'm getting.

Have a good day - it's a beautiful day here although the skies are being messed up by the chemtrails.  I noticed one joker this morning made a tick tack toe image - all the skeptics tell me how jet contrails can make that pattern, and jet contrails evaporate within minutes anyway.

 

12 comments:

  1. It looks like you are really working hard to get Rocky the exercise he needs. You may end up a marathoner yet! LOL!

    As for the chewing I found the classic King chew toy that you fill with peanut butter, available Kong treats, kibble or really anything to be awesome. The Kong Extreme Goodie Bone is also good.Rocky sounds pretty food motivated so that should keep him busy, not only for the food inside, but because it rolls and rounds and bounces when he plays with it. Just be sure for Rocky you get the large or xlarge size and not the puppy size. You can find them at Petco or any pet store or online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I do work hard with him and the worst he does is jump on other people. It's driving me mad as he knows better than to jump on me. I had a kong when I first got him - I ended up with peanut butter everywhere and on everything. I threw the darned thing away. It was a small one and I should probably try again with the large one, but no, or very little peanut butter!

      Delete
  2. He's still a puppy. So I give him lots of leeway as he's trying to learn the roles. Is there some way when you see a person coming towards you, you could grab his leash up close to him and hold him down from jumping. Does he know sit. Make him sit when someone is coming and then hold him tight. Its been so long since we had a puppy and never had a big one. I tried to out wait Skitz this morning but she whined from 4:30 to 5:30 and I finally gave up and gave her some food to shut her up. She's deaf, has leg problems and some dementia. Hard getting old. Love her so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time change is awful for our pets who go by their own internal clock, especially when they think it's meal time! I have tried just about everything to keep Rocky from jumping on people, except for spraying him with water. I only had to do that once or twice for his incessant barking. Now all I have to do is get the bottle in my hand and he stops barking. I'm almost embarassed to take it out on the walks, but I guess it wouldn't be any worse than everyone looking out their windows at a mad dog who is jumping on someone! Fortunately, a lot of people in this area recognize that a lab puppy doesn't mature as quickly as some dogs do. Rocky still has a long way to go.

      Delete
    2. A hint for next time change. I started two weeks ago moving my dogs feeding schedule up a few minutes each day. They didn't really notice that and by the time I had to move the clocks ahead they were already on the new time and never had a problem :)

      As for the water bottle it's a great idea, Don't hesitate to take it on a walk. I am sure most people will be glad to see you working on training your dog.

      Delete
    3. I'm slapping my head wondering why I didn't think of moving his meal time up a little at a time. And I will start taking the water bottle with me. I only sprayed him a couple of times for the barking, but when he sees the bottle in my hand he cringes like it's something horrible. Who knows what a dog is thinking half the time, but it's worth carrying along on our walks and maybe he'll get the idea without my having to actually squirt him!

      Delete
  3. Our dogs can tell time. They know exactly when it is meal time for them and, of course, they let us know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my dog got home-cooked meals like yours do he would never leave me alone! Your pups live the life of Riley!

      Delete
  4. Rocky's response to your water bottle reminds me of a similar experience.My daughter has three small dogs and when I was there last year on a visit their hysterical barking when anyone came in or out of the door drove me crazy. I got an empty disposable plastic water bottle from my car -the kind you buy in six packs from the grocery store- and when they started barking I tapped them lightly on the head with it. I tried it on myself first and it doesn't hurt but it feels strange and makes a weird sound. A couple of times of that and they stopped barking. My daughter still keeps a bottle on the counter and if they start barking she picks up the bottle and they immediately quiet down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not looking forward to going out in the cold this morning, but can't wait to try the water bottle when he starts pulling.

      Delete
  5. The water bottle sounds like a winner. With Kong toy treats will work the peanut butter is way to messy I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so disgusted with the kong toy I threw it away, I am going to buy another one, much larger, and put other treats besides peanut butter in it.

      Delete