Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, December 1, 2018

Rocky is Doing Fine!

He has all his old devilment back.  I was sort of hoping he would ease up a bit, especially when out walking on the leash.  I've read that it takes several weeks for the hormones to leave his system, so I guess he's not ready for "civilized" just yet.

It is so cold to me today - currently around 49 degrees, but I feel like I'm in an Arctic climate today.  The rain stopped for a while but will no doubt return.  I came back indoors a few minutes ago and changed to warmer and heavier sweat pants, plus warmer socks.  I need to dig out a hat although I've never liked to wear one.  I still have the hat I wore on the Appalachian Trail in 1997, and I think it belonged to one of my kids before that.

Day 4, and he hasn't slowed down yet! 

8 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why you thought neutering him would change his normal puppy behaviors because, well, he is a puppy. Problems with walking on the leash is not caused by hormones and it takes training to cure. I always found that giving my dogs an opportunity for a good off leash run around before walking on the leash made the training much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But Gypsy doesn't really have much way to let Rocky run around right now. Maybe when she gets the bigger yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really needs an outlet for his energy. Right now, it's difficult to find an outlet. The dog park has been closed since the rains have made it all muddy. You are absolutely right that he needs to run around and let off steam.

      Delete
  3. This climate change is really something. It has been pretty darn chilly here and our over night low for tonight will be in the low 30's and the high for tomorrow will be in the low 50's with high winds and possible rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also think it is very worrying. Our weather is so much cooler now than I can remember in the last decade.

      Delete
  4. Give Rocky a chance. It takes time to train a dog, a lot of time and a lot of patients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't offer any suggestions since it has been 27 years since I had a dog. I think once he is over his puppy stage he will make you proud.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know what kind of collar or harness you use for walks but in the early days with my large dogs I found the PetSafe Easy Walk Harness to be the best for discouraging pulling. It is around $20 at Petco and online at amazon. Look it up because I think it would work for you.

    From their website:The Easy Walk Harness gently discourages your dog from pulling on the leash. When your dog pulls, the harness steers your dog to the side and redirects his attention toward you. The harness rests across your dog's chest instead of his throat, so there's no choking or gagging.

    ReplyDelete