Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Trip with the granddaughters

Today I picked up my two older granddaughters and we were off to Barnes & Noble.  I took care of my business, which included ordering the new Harry Potter for my oldest grandson (NY).  It is now scheduled to come out the end of July.  The girls loved browsing the books and each picked out one that they wanted.  I finally got a membership for myself which will be offset by the discounts I'll get during the next year.  Since I don't buy toys, I plan to continue giving books.

After doing our book business we went to the Starbuck's cafe on one side of the store, and ordered desserts and hot chocolate.  Just sitting there talking with the girls was entertaining as well as enlightening.  In light of my recent blog entry on texting, it was interesting to hear the girls complain about texting, trying to get their parents' attention when they are looking at their cell phones, etc.  They both said they preferred talking to one another than to think of just sending messages via a phone.  I hope they keep that attitude, but social pressure will eventually take over I'm afraid.  

The afternoon was so much fun.  Both girls love to talk, and it is so funny that when the one who was talking stopped to take a breath, the other one would step in and take over the talking.  It went back and forth like that and I was laughing inside.

Tomorrow morning I am planning on meeting my sister Amy for coffee, and I think Jeannie will join us.  I will have to take note how our conversation goes, and if it's anything like the younger girls.  My day was wonderful, and I look forward to taking the younger ones in a couple of weeks.

Steve and his helper (Liam) came by with a truck this morning and got all the debris from the remodel, including the tub, sink, etc., and my driveway looks so much better now.  The bathroom fixtures were even spread out to the back yard - when I was back there I noticed weeds that I have to resume pulling.  We've had two days of intermittent rain, which just makes more weeds grow.

 

11 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day for all. I picked up some books when my cousins were here and we went touristing. I like buying books for the kids too. they have enough toys and my granddaughters read to the kids all the time.


    PS did you know your computer date is ahead by one day? not a big thing my usualy changes time by and hour even though it is set for AZ time zone

    ReplyDelete
  2. The time that shows in the upper right hand corner of my computer is the correct Pacific time. It looks like my blog is published under either Central or Eastern. I'm not sure why though.

    My granddaughters were talking about reading the book vs seeing the movie, and they both agreed you should read the book first. I think they are very perceptive - I've always thought you picture the characters and scenery, etc., when you read a book. With a movie you are watching some director's idea of characters & scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on the reading vs the movie. I've been disappointed by the movies

      Delete
  3. I kill the weeds coming through a crack in a concrete slab with pure vinegar. So far they have not come back. Keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what kind of weeds & grasses I'm dealing with. I've gone through literally gallons of vinegar and a lot of salt. The mixture kills what is growing, but more grow back. I spray again and it's just like being on a merry-go-round. I'd like to find something that would kill the growth and prevent more from sprouting.

      Delete
  4. I love going to Barnes & Noble, looking through some books and sipping their hot coffee. I order two espressos dumped into one larger cup. You see, I only like real strong coffee. At home I use four big scoops per 12 oz. cup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cafe in our Barnes & Noble is Starbucks, and I don't like their coffee at all. I like regular strength coffee, and theirs is strong to the point of being bitter to me. But I sure love their bookstores.

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful day with your granddaughters. I hope I live long enough to spend a day like that with my one and only granddaughter. I agree with you all totally about texting and about reading the book so you can have your own idea of how things like to compare with the vision of the film maker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was really impressed with the maturity and critical thinking of an 8 and a 9 yr old. I wish you the same fun with your granddaughter in years to come. I feel the necessity to leave memories and impressions with my little ones,and hope they think of me in years to come when I'm no longer around. It must be some sort of wish for immortality :-)

      Delete
  6. That day sounds like fun but rewarding and making long lasting memories. How much fun for you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really important to me that I leave my grandchildren with good memories. My grandparents always held a special place in my heart.

      Delete