Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, May 14, 2016

Finally, a shower!

Steve hooked up the shower head and fixtures today, and as soon as he left I enjoyed the water and my hair is squeaky clean now.

This is a work in progress, and the bathroom is now usable but still not finished.





 I wasn't sure about this water saving model which features two different flushes, both needing to use very little water.  I love it!




The vanity has a double door compartment on the left, with a single door on the right and a drawer across the bottom with two sections.  I'm experimenting with how to make the most of the space and only keep what I need inside.



These are the two medicine cabinets with a mirror in between.  I need to get something different, but as of now I'm keeping my toothbrush and a few other items on the right side.  The picture below shows the light fixture that I will probably replace with something more modern that will provide a bit more light for me.
 




The only reason I'm posting this photo is so that you can see the shower ceiling, which is a cheap wooden paneling.  It had been covered with a formica panel which was a little more waterproof.  The entire house had this exact paneling everywhere:  The walls, ceilings, sliding closet doors, drawers, etc.  That is why you see the bright colors on the walls - I went a little crazy when selecting paint to cover the awful and awfully dated paneling.  I intend to go back and at least paint the doors in an ivory or cream color.  Actually I love the bright yellow as well as all the colors in the other rooms - I painted each a different color, but I'll only tone down the color of the doors.

The finishing work will be done sometime in the next few weeks, including baseboards and the paint, of course.  I don't know when the paint will be done as I've already decided I'm not touching a paintbrush around the beautiful tile, tub, vanity, toilet, floor, etc.  My eyesight is off and I'm not as precise as I was in my younger years, so I will just wait until one or a couple of the kids can help me out.

I am very happy with all my selections and sometimes just stand inside the door and admire everything.  I nearly forgot to mention that I have a grab bar to install, but the walls are so thin and unsupported it is difficult to find a place to put it.  I can either have it horizontally across the front of the shower, or vertically at the back edge (close to the toilet).  I always get in and out of the tub from the middle/back, so I think the back wall would be the ideal place from a practical standpoint.  You realize, of course, that I'm not saying I need a grab bar, but as Steve remarked, the next occupant might need it!  (I never thought I would live so long as to even consider having a grab bar in my shower.) 

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you very much. If you could have actually seen what it was like before, you'd know why I'm so happy with this remodel.

      Delete
  2. It is lovely. As for a grab bar, I put one in mine. Between visitors and especially my Mom, and the fact that my tub is really too high a step and I don't usually use the step stool I have in there, the grab bar does get used. No stigma from this direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree about the grab bar, and I'm the one who asked for it to be installed. Having a shower curtain rather than glass doors, I worry about slipping and having nothing to hold on to that would keep me upright.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful job your guys did. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. I'm really pleased with it, and still can't believe it's really my bathroom.

      Delete
  4. We have a handicap shower with grab bars. I put up a grab bar beside the shower to use as a towel rack. My husband is unsteady and I didn't want him trying to hold onto a towel rack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost lost my balance in the tub just once, and have been nervous about it ever since. Even if I never need the bar, I will feel better knowing it's there.

      Delete
  5. Wow it looks great Gypsy. Did we ever see what it looked like before? I can't remember. I actually really like those two mirrored medicine cabinets with the mirror in between. But then I love retro. You just keep making me sorry I didn't have a couple of wonderful sons or a very handy SIL. Mine's a lawyer-HA! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe somewhere back I posted a few "before" pictures. I would be out of luck if I need legal advice, but it's a shame we can't have it all!

      Delete
  6. I think re-do's and re-models not only give our homes new life, they give us new life, too. I remember a couple I've done in the past, and even when really simple changes are made, it perks me up. I love a pretty, useful bathroom, and yours looks perfect. Lots of storage, too - just perfect. I agree about the grab bar - my son put one in for me in my San Diego condo, and I was much younger then. I also prefer a shower curtain - I love baths and the glass shower doors have a track on the edge of the tub - that's where I put my coffee cup or cold drink which doesn't work with the metal track. Also, much easier getting in and out, and I think a pretty one adds to the decor. I'd love to have your bathroom! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The remodel has sure brought me a lot of happiness so far. To see what my kids can do is one reason, and just to have beautiful new fixtures is a joy. While I don't care for baths and prefer a shower, I don't have much luck with anything on a track, so the shower curtain works well for me.

      Delete
  7. that is nice and great information yous shared with us keep update this website
    desert safari Dubai

    ReplyDelete