Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Good news-Bad news

I noticed a noise in my car before I left for NY and was told it was the A/C; the part alone would be about $350, so I decided I could live with no A/C.  Today the temp is up near 90, and I decided I couldn't live very well driving in the hot Sacramento summer without A/C.  I stopped at Jesse's Neighborhood Garage to ask them to order the part I need.  Jesse himself overheard the conversation and wanted to look at the car - the end result is he told me my A/C is working fine.  I hope whatever noise it was that I originally heard doesn't come back!

For the not so good news, I drove to the library for my volunteer work this morning and within 10 minutes realized I can no longer do this work.  I regretfully quit the job.  I just have so many problems reading the book designations - it's worse in the non-fiction section, but even in fiction I have troubles.  I can best read no more than two shelves comfortably, with the ones above and below nearly impossible to make out.  It was fun while it lasted.

I did a quick clean-up in the bathroom this morning, getting up the little bits of hardened grout that gathered in the corners, and wiping out the sink and tub.  It didn't matter what kind of product I used on the old fixtures, there was always a gritty feel to them (just as I have in the kitchen sink bowls), but the new ones are as smooth as glass and shine beautifully with no water spotting.

I can't remember if I mentioned in my last blog that I found a dermatologist and made an appointment in June to have the growth on my arm removed.  I studied the list of dermatologists within about 6 miles of my house, but most of them with high ratings are with the medical group Kaiser Permanente, and I am not a member.  The Dr. I will be seeing is not quite as close to my house, but it's easy to get to the office and I liked my first contact with staff on the telephone.

The swamp cooler does a beautiful job cooling every room in the house except the kitchen, and I want to bake some stuffed peppers in the oven this evening.  I might set up a fan to pull some cooler air from the living room while I'm preparing them.  I should go back to eating my main meal at Noon and then having something cool, such as a salad, for supper.  I almost never use my microwave for cooking although I'll melt cheese sprinkled on taco chips once in a while; otherwise I use it to store breads and such.  I don't look forward to the heat of summer.

11 comments:

  1. That was really good news on the a/c. I use a toaster oven for all my baked or grilled food in the summer and pretty much in the winter too. To bad about your Library job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind having a toaster oven but I just don't have counter space or storage space for another appliance.

      Delete
  2. It is always good to get a second opinion on big auto repairs. This is a great example of that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case I'm lucky the shop owner was nearby and heard me say I needed the new part, and he checked it for himself. I'm also very lucky he is so honest.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear that your eyes are forcing you to quit that fun library volunteer job. Such a shame since you like to do it and I know it helps them. Great to hear that you don't have an AC problem. I don't see how you could be in Sacramento without AC in the summer but I guess people did it for years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to see pictures and paintings of Sacramento before it was settled. It was a desert! It's also the confluence of two major rivers, but with damming and reservoirs upstream I'm sure the picture is changed. I do without A/C in my house but am fortunate the swamp cooler works so well except for in the kitchen. We are fortunate to have very cool nights and mornings, thanks to San Francisco sending it up the Sacramento Delta.

      Delete
  4. Did your Jesse live in Sunnyvale about 20 years ago? We had a very good mechanic named Jesse there in the 90's who moved away to another part of California. Neat if it is the same one! He had a big, black dog named Mopar!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Jesse (and his wife you works the office) are from Vietnam, and something makes me think they moved to the U.S. in the 80's or so. They aren't old enough to have been in the actual war, but would probably have been children. I have met few people who have such honesty, strong work ethic, sense of fairness, and just plain good natured. They are wonderful people and everyone I know of who takes their car to him for any kind of service can't say enough good things about his work.

      Delete
    2. That's great! We adored "our" Jesse, too! ;->

      Delete
  5. I am sorry to hear you had to quit your volunteer job.

    You are so lucky to have found a gem of a mechanic. A/C repairs are expensive, thankfully your car did not require it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was happy to work at the library while it lasted, but I have to move on in whatever life holds for me now. Yes, the mechanic is a perfect gem.

      Delete