Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, December 3, 2015

Will I ever learn?

I remember posting on this very blog a number of times that I hate the sound of rain pounding on the metal roof.  I always have.  I find it soothing to hear the rain hitting a shingled roof, but metal just drives me nuts, especially if I'm trying to sleep.

Well, we have rain this afternoon and the rain hiting the metal roof now has a musical quality.  Nothing like several years of drought and wondering if everything beautiful about California is a thing of the past to change one's perspective!  Of course the little bit of rain we've had since the beginning of November isn't enough to relieve the drought, but every little bit sounds good to me!

As I've mentioned previously, I lived in rural Ireland for three years, and in that time I became accustomed to not having some of the conveniences we take for granted, but which are totally unnecessary to a good life.  Today I'm thinking about the electric can opener.  I didn't have one there, and when I returned to the U.S. I resolved to live a simple life without a lot of electricity being involved, so since 2003 I have been using the old fashioned can opener that you turn by hand.  It has always worked well for me, and since I buy mostly fresh foods anyway, I've never had a problem.  This past week I bought several cans of chicken chunks, organic free-range chickens that were non-GMO, gluten free, and raised on a family farm.  I decided to make chicken salad for lunch and got out my can opener.  I had a terrible time with it, and it probably took me 15 minutes to get the lid off.  During this time I decided I would buy a cheap electric opener.  Now I'm not too sure, but I just cut my finger on the metal lid while disposing of the can.  Maybe I should eliminate all canned goods and skip buying the opener.  I should probably buy a decent hand can opener instead of the cheap thing I have.

By the way, the chicken salad was delicious and a good variation to the tuna salad I often have for lunch.  I'm getting used to not eating sandwiches since going lo carb.

9 comments:

  1. We, too, try to do without electric appliances.... but the carpal tunnel problems with my hands now make using a manual can opener quite difficult. I use a pair of pliers to open (screw off) bottle caps... I don't know the answer, but aging sure makes things difficult. By the way... I'd like to ask you some questions... we are planning to "live" in the British Isles for at least 3 months this coming year... a month in England, one in Scotland and one in Ireland. How did you find your place in Ireland? So far, most of our contacts are through Air BnB.... just wondering....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lids can be a hazard no matter what kind of opener you have. I gave up on the battery powered opener and went back to a good hand one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have always loved the sound of rain on a tin roof. I loved it when I was a child and visited my uncle's farm house and made sure that the farm we bought had one as well. So glad to hear you are enjoying it. I have used a hand opener forever. Used to have one that mounted on the wall at the farm and liked that better than the ones that you put away in a drawer but if you buy a good one they are nice too. I suppose people with severe arthritis or carpal tunnel might find it difficult but more expensive ones are generally easier to use than cheap ones. Really envying Odd Essay her 3 months especially if her England month is going to be in the South West.

    ReplyDelete
  4. there is a hand opener that works like a ratchet. Someone left it at my daughters house and I loved it. Could get her to give it up. I searched every kitchen store I could find. so I went on Amazon and they had it but boy it isn't cheap, it was somewhere in the ranch of $34.
    I love the sound of rain a tin roof until it rains hard enough to make you deaf. I have a shingle roof but carport and porch are metal

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had a couple electric can openers over the years but I never could get onto the fangled things. I think we have a manual can opener now but not sure. Can't remember the last time I ever opened a tin can. Oh Dear, maybe I should brush up on a few of my lost kitchen skills.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We use the side cut hand operated can openers and that way, you can put the lids back on a half empty can to store in the frig for the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. like Dick says, use one of these..... http://www.target.com/p/oxo-softworks-smooth-edge-can-opener/-/A-13567823?ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13567823&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Kitchen%2BShopping&adgroup=SC_Kitchen&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=9030039&gclid=Cj0KEQiAkIWzBRDK1ayo-Yjt38wBEiQAi7NnP-Kiutr55TTse6CSwuOHJpPn1tlGvzQnU30NuUphXRgaApCY8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the can opener I bought at BB&B. Just set it on the can, push the button and presto chango! The can is open.
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/zyliss-easican-single-touch-electric-can-opener/1041977453?Keyword=electric+can+openers

    ReplyDelete