Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Weather woes!

Poor Ara, went to the airport last night and was told the flight had been delayed until this morning.  Today's flight left, but there was a delay of several hours in Houston; I haven't heard if it finally departed, but I hope she is home by now.   Oh how I hate the thought of air travel!

I really enjoy working at the library.  My boss wasn't there today but she had given me something to do, and the time passed quickly.  The job is something I love doing and am extremely good at, if I do say so.

On my way home I stopped at the grocery for a few items, which turned out to be more than a few.  Before leaving home this morning I checked my bank account online and saw that reimbursement checks for about $200 from Medicare (chiropractic care) had made it to the bank and were in my checking account, so  I transferred $200 to savings (my travel fund), leaving me a little over $60 in checking.  Wouldn't you know the groceries came to $71?  After several tries I asked the cashier to debit $60 and let me pay the balance in cash.  I was frustrated as I saw the line behind me getting longer, but we finally got it squared away.  I didn't expect to spend as much as I did.  I need some things from Costco as well as to fill up the gas tank, but will have to wait for the Jan. retirement check to hit my account!    I did pretty well on the Christmas shopping this year - I can only think of one gift that I charged on the credit card.  But my wallet and checking account are certainly depleted!

I drove to a nearby Fed-Ex place on Christmas morning to pick up a box from Mike that should have been delivered days earlier.  There were a few people ahead of me, and since things were moving slowly we eventually began to chat with each other.  Several people made comments about grandchildren, and that 5 minutes with them was enough, glad when they went home, etc.  Everyone was agreeing and chuckling, and I decided it was time to speak up.  I said "Grandchildren are the best part of my life".  I swear everyone glared at me!  What was that all about.  I can't figure it out.

I'm going to work out at the gym with Jeannie this evening.  Looking forward to pumping iron!!

7 comments:

  1. I only do grocery shopping every week or two, and it's hard to get out of there under $100. If I buy some wine, it's sure to go over. I've never been to a Costco. Maybe I should visit the one in Temecula...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We teasingly joke that "they won't let you out the door at Costco unless you've spent $100"

      Delete
  2. I just can't make my ice cream last a whole week, so we go shopping when every we run out of enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll bet the other grandparents do not have the well disciplined, totally enjoyable grandchildren that you have. Mine are all grown up now. Teenage years have been tough at times. Nevertheless, I surely am glad they live within a few minutes from us and are a big part of our lives! Good for you that you spoke up. You have a wonderful family. Hope Ara is home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second hoping Ara made it home by now. Crazy weather hitting everywhere right now and canceled flights all over.

    I sure enjoyed my house full of grand kids and great grands over the holidays. Maybe their grandkids aren't being brought up properly. I hate running into those kids in stores.

    I sure understand the broke part right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have space for the big amounts they sell in Costco. Reminds me of Sam's club. Good for you for speaking up too. But maybe they had the grandkids in their house for 4 or 5 days rather than just visiting with them during the day. Energetic youngsters can tire you out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had Grandkids around so have no idea how I would feel if I did. I agree with you about hating to have to fly. For me it's not the flying part because I have always enjoyed that but it's the crowding on the plane & all the chaos & confusing in the terminals I've never liked. Last time I flew to Florida was before 9-11 so I can only imagine how bad all that turmoil is now. I really hope I do not have to take a plane somewhere again...........

    ReplyDelete