Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, October 22, 2015

Technology

You can probably tell this will be somewhat of a rant, so it's your choice to read it or not.

Without going into a lot of detail, I'd like to say I am sick and tired of many technological advances.  I don't have a smart phone which prevents me from doing many things others take for granted.  I want to redeem some points I have at my gym for a product they offer, but I need a smart phone to download and send the bar code for the product.

I send emails now and then to family, friends, and acquaintances, but how many of those do you think either go unread, but certainly go unanswered.  People are always looking at their phones so I'm sure they know they have a new email.  If it was a text msg it would probably be read quickly and answered with a quick text.  The same goes for phone calls - no one seems to have much time to punch in some numbers or go to a contact list in order to have voice contact.  I'll be damned if I'm going to join the smart people who own smart phones.  

The same thing goes for Facebook - it's amazing how many comments and likes one can read from 750 of their closest "friends" on FB, but they can't read a simple email.

My complaints just go on from there, but I don't see any sense in boring anyone further - that's assuming you have read this far.

You might not believe it, but I actually feel terrific!  I've done all my exercises  today, and eaten what to me is a fairly good diet.  I'm getting ready to go through my kitchen cabinets and fridge, and purge the stuff I will no longer use.  I hate to throw things out, especially unopened packages, but if I don't think it's healthy for me then I don't think it is healthy for anyone.  What a dilemma.  

If anyone is interested in the rationale behind my change in diet, you might want to read "Grain Brain" by  David Perlmutter, M.D., a noted neurosurgeon.  It's available at libraries, and my daughter checked out one in large print for me.

 

6 comments:

  1. I can't imagine life without my smart phone anymore but my sister feels just like you about them. We have been camped at so many places on this trip that had no cell service and I found myself constantly reaching for my phone. Not sure that's a good thing. And with the limited data we have I really watch what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a smart phone but only because we are on the road and I use it as a hot spot for my laptop. I couldn't answer an email on it if I tried. I need to be able to type. I have texting turned off. I refuse to have my communications cut down to tweets and texts. Email is short enough and curt enough and distant enough for me thanks. I prefer letters with real paper, real ink and real handwriting. So there's my rant response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I only use and possess the electronics that are convenient to me. I view a 'smart phone' as an ankle bracelet monitor. I dump the tracking device when I retired and turned in my radio-n-badge. My ten-key cell-phone is in my purse and OFF until I have an emergency on the road. Yes, I'm a eccentric Luddite. So?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Smart phone here either. And theres no sense in calling anyone because they don't answer their phones only respond to a text if your lucky.

    I can't understand throwing good food away when there are some kids who have not had any food good or bad. There are donation centers for food and toiletries , I know what it's like to be that poor so I am now a big donator. But that's your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I understand what your saying, Not only do I not have or want a smart phone I don't carry or use a phone period. I never feel any kind of need to phone anyone let alone all the texting stuff or whatever, It's kind of sad to see so many kids walking around with their heads tilted down & their faces stuck in their cell phones, I'm not against modern technology but just because something is new I do not always believe it is better

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you loud and clear Gypsy...I feel the same way. I do not have nor do I want a smart phone.

    I found a Google App to be able to send text messages because I got tired of having my e-mails going unread. Unfortunately, they dumped my account for not sending enough texts, lol :D

    ReplyDelete