Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, May 24, 2013

Whole lotta shakin' goin' on!

Earthquake, is what I'm talking about.  I have never felt the slightest tremor, even when I lived in CA back in the 1980's.  

Late yesterday afternoon I was sitting in my recliner reading a book, and all of the sudden I felt the chair shaking.  It was only felt in the seat of the chair, not on the arms, footrest, etc.  It felt like one of those vibrating chairs - Niagara chairs I believe they are called.  The vibrating sensation was felt twice in succession for a short duration, and I honestly had no clue what it was until I talked to my daughter a half hour later and she told me there had been an earthquake near Susanville, CA.

Susanville is about 50 miles from Butte Lake (Lassen) and I often drove there for supplies when I camphosted there in 2009.  Actually the epicenter of the quake was the eastern part of Lake Almanor which is southeast of Lassen NP, and those of you who read the journal of Howard and Linda Payne (of RV Dreams) might remember that they were also workcamping at Lake Almanor that year.

So now I've felt an earthquake, even though it wasn't close to the epicenter, and I'm done - don't want to feel another one.  Of all the natural disasters I have always feared earthquakes the most and wondered why anyone would live in an area that is prone to having them.  

On another subject, for those of you who enjoy the blog of Sherry & David, In the Direction of Our Dreams, I received an email from Sherry this morning saying that Blogger was giving her problems, and that her updates were not showing on the blogroll.  It looks like her last post was 2 days ago, but in fact she has a new oneI hope her problem can be solved and that this isn't happening with others as well.

I didn't have any problem with the monitor last night as I thought I might.  At least I'm two thirds of the way through the 24 hour period and then I can take the thing off.  There are several errands I had planned to run this morning but realized I won't go out with this monitor bulging out and wires everywhere.  I can remove it at about 4 pm, but that is when the rush traffic starts, so it looks like I'm staying home today. 

I'm posting early this morning, but wanted to get the word out about Sherry's blog, and to say I hope those of you who live in Northern CA/Southern OR weren't affected by the 5.7 earthquake.  By the time I went to bed last night the newscasters were reporting there had been 20 or so aftershocks.  

I had been feeling uneasy about going to Lassen but thought it was mainly the fire danger that worried me.  When I think, the ranger cabin sits right next to a huge tank of propane and that seemed to be the biggest worry with yesterday's quake - most people have propane tanks in their yards.  

Well, it's time for my breakfast.  I have fresh blueberries on hand and think I will throw some in pancake batter and see how it turns out.  I've never eaten blueberry pancakes before.  See ya later.     

5 comments:

  1. If you don't want purple pancakes, sprinkle the blueberries on top of the batter just after you ladle your pancake on the griddle. I do the same thing with nuts and chocolate chips. That way everybody gets their favorite style of pancake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earth quakes are more common than some people think. I was in Michigan one time when they had an earth quake. I never knew they could have one there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to feel the earthquakes all the time when I lived in San Diego. Our building was built to sway and sway it did. Really strange to get used to. We often have blueberry pancakes and we don't care if they're purple or not. We tried them with dried blueberries once but won't do that again. Frozen are really good also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've never had blueberry pancakes? Say it isn't so. Boy you are in for a treat.

    I was in the big San Fernando Valley Earthquake in the 70's when the dam almost broke. That was enough for me.

    Thanks so much for the shout out. I "think" Rick has fixed it. Heaven knows how long he must have spent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed yesterday's post ~ hope you got a good night's sleep and at least you got 3 tests out of the way!

    You never had blueberry pancakes? well... I never. Since pancakes cook so quickly, I put some in the batter as well as when I flip them? put some on top and they get warm and tasty ... gooood stuff

    I don't like earthquakes and I don't like tornadoes ... I've been in both ~ have yet to be in a hurricane but have been in the aftermath. I don't like those either.

    At least with tornadoes, you do get a warning... but I remember the tremors and was it 1969? that California was going to dissappear? seems it was ... course I spent a good deal of time drinking then ... went to Tiburon to go peacefully in the water in lieu of a building falling on top of me.

    Didn't happen as predicted but a few days later ... 6.7? it was reeeally something. I did not like it.

    HOpe you're sleeping~ I'm about to visit Sherry ...

    ReplyDelete