Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Finding a campground

I've been wanting to get out of the house for a while and camp for a couple of days.  The places I usually look to are at an elevation where snow is still on the ground or conditions still exist to get fresh snow.  Campgrounds are mostly closed but if you camp there you won't have water available.  

A day or so ago I heard a news clip about the police looking for the person who broke into a house and fatally stabbed an 8 yr old girl, and this is in the county I considered most favorably for camping.  After the week's events in Cleveland I'm a little skittish about spending the night in a canvas tent in a remote location where a murderer might still be at large.  I must be getting a bit cautious in my old age.  The Cleveland victims were young teens when abducted, and the little girl who was stabbed was only 8, but the next time some creep might decide there are too many old ladies in the world!  

So I called a Corps of Engineers campground that is open year around and spoke with a ranger who told me the camp host job is contracted out, and the host lives on the premises all year.  There are also other folks who monitor the area plus regular checks by the ranger.  I explained my age and situation, including the fact that I haven't camped without a dog in nearly 20 years, and that I wanted to come for a couple of weeknights.  She assured me that I would be safe and would feel secure there.  She herself will be patrolling next week, so I will introduce myself if I actually go camping there.  Being a retired COE employee won't hurt either.

I will get a carotid artery scan next  Tuesday and could leave the following morning.  I don't have much energy and hope I can scrape up enough of it to get my gear and food ready, buy several gallons of bottled water, etc. Wish I could find a rent-a-dog, but I'll be ok by myself.  I spent a week camping last year after I lost Lady, and I can do it now.

 

11 comments:

  1. I think with the security you should get away a couple days. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're thinking about getting away for a few days. It will do wonders for clearing the cobwebs. And it sounds like security is great. So go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've done an excellent job of finding a safe place to go camping and I just know it will be good for your soul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, you know I've been alone wherever. I always carried a whistle. kept it by my cot.

    COE campgrounds are so nice. I know it's easy to say but don't be afraid... sounds like the kind of campgrounds I've always enjoyed. The camp hosts are always there ... several in a lot of places.

    Camp near the bathhouse. I've truly never been afraid in this kind of Park .. it's the remote stuff I get wimpy about.

    go smell that air and meet some nice campers... ;)

    "We fear the thing we want the most."
    Robert Anthony

    I don't know who Robert Anthony is but I like his quote ~ me? it's doctors... and I want a dentist and an ear and eye doctor... scared shitless to go because they'll tell me to go straight! do not pass goal! to the hospital and I will die before I can check in...

    GO BREATHE Gypsy ol girl! you love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "can do" attitude is a good thing. Hope you go and have a great time. That trip would HAVE to lift your spirits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel your need & excitement for a change of pace. For many of us Mother Nature is a natural healer & does wonders for what ails us. Just to get out there for a few days & let that fresh mountain air waft through one's mind is a powerful medicine all on it's own. You can do it.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go camping, it will do you good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you have no energy and are going to be sitting around not doing much, what better place than in a beautiful campground? You can read and rest and look around and enjoy the scenery. I think you have a good plan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have you thought of joining a dog fostering group? I've never done it, but it might suit you until you feel comfortable with getting another permanent pal.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you can enjoy yourself and get some good feelings back. If the weather is beautiful that will help too. Good luck and be safe. Can't wait to hear the report of how it went.

    ReplyDelete