Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Getting Unhooked

From TV, that is.  I called DirecTV 3 days ago because of a billing problem, and was so irritated I told them I wanted my service cancelled.  The woman who took my call was really smooth and convinced me to stay with DirecTV at a reduced price per month.  I told her I would do it providing I retained access to the few channels I watch, and I gave her the short list.

I discovered a day later that I don't get the Science Channel, and that bums me out as they run some programs I find interesting now and then.  So I called back today and found that I would have to pay an extra $10 a month to get the package which includes the Science Channel, and this time I did cancel.  After the end of this billing period, June 5, I will no longer have TV access.  When I first got DirecTV I was unhappy that I would have to pay more to get the Nat Geo channel, and several months later I suddenly found that I had access.  With this new package they gave me I get Nat Geo but not Science?  It doesn't make sense and I think they are just jerking customers around.

It's probably a good thing since I've been watching an increasing number of hours a day since I haven't been feeling well.  Between the Boston bombings and the Cleveland kidnappings, I've logged in a lot of hours.  I may find another cable or satellite company, or I may just go back to being a non-tv watcher as I was when I lived in my RV.  I'll have to look harder to find large print books at the library and read more.  I can't watch tv via internet since my usage is limited each month by the MiFi, and it isn't worth it to run over the limit for anything on television.

I have been getting my camping gear together today, and think I can finish tomorrow.  I still need to get my cooler, propane stove, and a few other items from the shed, plus make a last minute run to the grocery.  I'm trying to keep things simple, which is nearly impossible.  That's one thing that is better when you live in your RV - everything you need is always with you.

Speaking of camping, I mentioned the stabbing murder of an 8 yr old girl in the vicinity of several campgrounds I like.  Authorities found that the girl was stabbed by her 12 yr old brother, so I would probably be safe in my tent although I'm happy to be going to the COE lake & campground this time.

My nearly 3 yr old grandson, Liam, got a new haircut yesterday.  He has put up a terrific fight against getting it cut, and appears to be afraid of the scissors and clippers.  I will let my son tell you the story:

"We were at dinner and he ended up getting black beans all over his hair.  I lost it, right after dinner I drove to supercuts and told him we were getting his hair cut.  He started flipping out and Meg didn't want to deal with it in public, so I went to Target, bought a pair of clippers, and a movie for him.

I took him home, sat him down, covered him with a towel, wrapped my legs around him so he couldn't squirm and buzzed it."


I asked if Meg got it on camera, but Steve said she was busy helping to hold him down.  It sounds like Lady getting her nails clipped!

12 comments:

  1. I enjoy my DISH TV at night, so it's unlikely I'd ever terminate service.

    I've always liked little boys to have short hair cuts. Old fashioned I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That first haircut is special and sometimes horrible, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you are feeling well you'll be too busy to watch TV. Never having had a son I don't know about first haircuts. I don't even remember my daughter's so it must not have been a big deal. This one sounds like an ordeal. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stand by for lots of mail! We canceled Direct TV a year ago and still get a least one mailing from them a week wanting us to come back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really important for the first haircut to tell the kid that if his hair screams out in pain , the hair is just faking it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had Direct TV for about 12 years. You are so right about their requiring that certain packages be bought if we wanted certain channels. As the years went by, the bill kept going up. We finally realized that the only shows we watched regularly were on network television. So, about 5 months ago, I canceled. Bought a rooftop antenna through Amazon. Husband was able to mount it in the same place where the dish for satellite had been. Voila! We get about 60 channels. Several of the channels—I’m thinking ME– TV and Cozi---have all kinds of older reruns. I’m talking even Hopalong Cassidy, Roy Rogers, etc. Fun for reminiscing! Living in the DFW area and only a few miles from all the towers is a big plus for us. Also, we got TIVO; love it for recording. We are really happy campers. No more $90+ a month for satellite. Just the one time fee for the antenna, and $15 a month for TIVO.
    Direct TV is driving us crazy with the mail and the phone calls, though. They are wasting their time and trees-----we’ll never go back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We never have had direct TV or cable TV. Have always used an antenna and it works for us. We don't get National Geo or Science but lots of good PBS as well as local and national news. Works for me. My son couldn't (and still can't) stand to have his hair touch his ears or his forehead so getting him to a barber was one of the easiest things I had to do with him. But I sure wish they would have had a picture of the buzz cut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn I wish that would have been caught on camera. :)) Glad to hear you are still getting to go camping.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daughter recently purchased a flat antenna (looks like a cable box) and she gets several channels. As least she can watch the news and some of the basic channels. I do not have a TV in my RV and really don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had Dish TV for a while, and it got to be a real hassle. Got rid of it. Now we watch so little TV. We've been on our summer trip two weeks now, are in our sixth location (and we'll stay here at least three Weeks) and have not hooked up to the park's cable anywhere. Even at home in Benson we watch only the news, and seldom that. Sure don't miss that tube!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I go without TV frequently, depending on where I am. At first, you miss it, but soon I'm listening to a book on tape, or reading a book, or taking a walk. If I get TV I definitely watch it, but if not, it's not a big deal. Do you have a cable company you can use to get internet and TV? I know it can be expensive, though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Also, I forgot to say, I love the story of the haircut. They should write it down, draw some accompanying pictures, and save it in his baby book if they have one. If not, it would be it's own little book/remembrance. That's the kind of story kids love hearing, and we so quickly forget. Great story! :)

    ReplyDelete