Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

The good and the bad

I just finished my breakfast and enjoyed a cup of coffee that can only be appreciated when brewed and drunk (drank?) outdoors.  Now I can appreciate the birds in a way I didn't exactly at 5 am!  The mourning doves are the loudest, and you just can't get back to sleep when they start their mournful calls.

Two guys came in just before dark last night, and the smell of bacon frying wafted over to my site very early this morning.  The birds must have had them up early as well.  I finally gave up the idea of getting back to sleep and got up at 6:30.  

Now for the not-so-good part.  I couldn't get the fourth leg inserted into the cot.  There are four bent pieces of metal shaped sort of like a "W" that fit into little holes in the side bar of the cot.  It takes a lot of strength to bend them to fit.  I spent an entire hour working on the last one and my muscles were screaming and my hand was cut and bleeding.  Believe me I cussed quite a bit, and with no one nearby I really let go with some profanities that might make a sailor blush.

I gave up and slept on it with my legs slanted downward.  Not exactly comfortable.  I am surprised my shoulders and arms are ok this morning.

Also last night I heard about 30 minutes of a very loud domestic argument between a couple who had 3 or 4 small kids in tow.  I didn't try to make out what they were saying, but with all the violence going on everywhere I didn't like to hear this.  I hope they've calmed down by today, for the kids' sake at least.

I may post again later today depending on how the day goes.  For now, I can't say this has been a profoundly lovely experience, although it has been profound.  I'm coming to several conclusions that I've been wrestling with for some time, which is an accomplishment.  Now I don't know whether or not to wrestle with that cot today, leave it as it is, or go home and sleep in my own bed tonight.    

12 comments:

  1. ahhhh conclusion wrestling... know it well. well? getting away and looking at stuff always helps me.

    blasted cot! jeeeez I hate that kind of stuff... so frustrating but then you just go on and go to bed... Hahaa... oh, lord. what we do to relax...

    looking forward to reading more of your trip and that couple with the kids.... so sad

    I love the sound of mourning doves .. we have them here. BUt not reeeal early. I can't hear the regular kind of birds any longer ...

    ooooo bacon wafting ... maybe they will help you with the cot legs. can't be all bad if they cook bacon at night... night bacon eaters should be jolly... ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Walk over to a male and ask him for help.

    In a pinch (after trying many times) that is what I do.

    It always works....send back a small treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe the young fellows frying bacon could help you with the cot?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - ask for some help from anybody with that stupid cot. I sure would. The park here is full of mourning doves and they are definitely loud early in the morning. Conclusion wrestling is always an interesting experience. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got my eyes closed watch'n you set'n up that cot an' listen'n to your choice of words. I would love to go camp'n with you an' that silly cot.

    Kids scream'n an' hav'n fun is one thing. Nobody likes listen'n to two adults act'n like kids. Hope they didn't punch each other.

    NO....don't go home. Stay right there till you get that cot fixed. Cuss if'n ya have to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree ask some young strong man to help you. I used to be so independent I wouldn't ask for help but now I don't care I ask. I would rather be comfortable than miserable. I love to smell bacon frying, and arguing no way. They probably do it all the time and the poor children are used to it. (In their own way)
    Hope the rest of your trip goes better for you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I third the ask a guy. You don't have to prove a point, you just have to get a good night's sleep and enjoy your camping experience. Up at 6:30 to the sounds of bird song sounds great to me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The smell of bacon frying...mmmm! Get some help. Don't give up. I'm getting better at asking for help too. Disappointing, but necessary these days...

    ReplyDelete
  9. If getting away to the campground has helped you to make a decision, then that is a good thing and a successful trip. Ask for help. It took me many years to do that and still surprises me at how much easier it makes things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tell one of those guys that they probably can't do it, but you'll ask anyway... I'm sure they will be up for the challange!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Do you like to help others accomplish something? It is thoughtful of you to provide the opportunity for others to experience this good feeling!

    ReplyDelete