Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, November 12, 2012

Still hangin' in there

I'm not coughing as much as I was, except at night.  I find it so difficult to get decent sleep because of the coughing, plus the heater cycling on and off.  I need to set the thermostat back - the only time I really need it is in the morning.  Other times I wrap up in a fleecy throw.

My appetite is a little better, although I still can't eat much, and the shortness of breath really bothers me.  I hope I can get up the energy to vacuum today.  The dust and even clumps of dog hair are driving me crazy.  It seems like the dog hair will be around forever.

I have started trying to read the blogs again but it's difficult to focus after a couple at a time.  I doubt I will ever be able to catch up with past blogs I've missed.  I certainly appreciate all the lovely comments I've received.  I am so fortunate for my family - Steve brought me home from the hospital, after several delays.  His car broke down about 5 minutes from the hospital, and he had to call Joe to come over and pick him up to take him back to my house so he could get my car.  I told him to just keep my car because I can do without it for a while.  Good thing, because I might get so bored I would just get in the car to catch a bit of excitement being out in the traffic again.  I should explain that Joe had his two little girls with him and since they have been sick off and on, didn't want to expose them to anything I might still have.

I asked the doctor about being contagious and he said "No".   I still want to avoid the grandkids for a while though, for their sakes as well as mine.  My immunity is sure to be at a low level.

I also asked the doc about alcohol use while taking the antibiotic.  He gave me a long dissertation about how alcohol affects the liver, etc., and then said, "Go home and have a glass of wine."  I did and nearly gagged.  What is usually delicious to me tasted awful. I haven't had a beer in several weeks but think I'll wait until the antibiotics are gone - hopefully it will taste ok by then.  I don't even enjoy my coffee.

This is about as long as I can sit at the computer, so I'll say bye for now.

13 comments:

  1. You take it easy and don't rush things. Healing takes time. Try to eat right and get plenty of rest if you can. That way you will get well and strong and be off on a camping trip before know it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you cannot enjoy coffee, then clearly you are not fully recovered:) Relax and take it slow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you were able to be up a little bit. I was in the hospital with pneumonia last January. It takes a while to be 100% again. Taking your meds, lots of fluids, and lots of rest. Before you know it that coffee will taste wonderful again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for you! I also have a bad cold since a week ago. I am even resorting to folks remedies. I am sitting here in my recliner with a little bag of cut- up onions pinned to my sweater. How crazy is that ?? Have not coughed for awhile....is it maybe working? I am not a dingeling but I am disparate.
    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gypsy, give yourself a chance to recover. You've been through a lot and your body needs time. Jim just had that angiogram done and nothing tasted good to him for almost four days. And he's not on any anti-biotics. When you like your beer and coffee again, we'll know you're back to healthy again. Rest. Don't worry about catching up on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think BJ is right on with her advice. Read a few blogs, drink lots of fluids, make a few comments, more fluids, sleep, eat, more fluids, rest repeat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're all pulling for you, Gypsy. We ALL want you to take care of you. We sure benefit from having you! Hope you get some good sleep; that will go a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have my sympathies! It will take a while for anything to taste good. Push fluids to keep the junk in your lungs soft so it will come up easy.

    Here is a home remedy for soothing a cough and relieving tightness in the chest. Have someone go get you some dried Coltsfoot and mullein leaf. Bring a pint of water to a boil; add a tablespoon of each to the water after you have taken the water off the heat. Let it steep, covered for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain; then add honey or stevia to taste. I really like how it makes my chest feel better.

    You take it easy and let your body heal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ease into recovery, Gypsy. You'll be glad you did. Your strength will return--just takes a while to get your "sea legs" back. Do what your told!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you're on the mend! To ease the night time coughing, slather Vick's Vapo Rub on the bottom of your feet (about the middle of them up to under your toes) and put on a pair of socks, then go to bed. It'll help you sleep without coughing all night.

    Stay warm and keep getting better. It takes awhile I know. Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had a chuckle at you losing your taste & waiting to have a beer again. I drank a lot of beer for a lot of years & never ever did like the taste of that bitter stuff...but liked how it made me think. You will just have to wait for your body to re-adjust itself back to normal. After all, you did come under severe attack from some pretty bad stuff. But, I do know how people like us are & when things are not happening fast enough, we do get a little imaptient & perturbed......:))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good grief!

    I installed Windows 8, decided I didn't like it, and have spent the last four days getting rid of it - long story, but I didn't restore my old files the right way and ended up with 64,000 files I had to delete - 3 and 4 copies of every file, photo and graphic. What a pain.

    So now I'm catching up with my blog reading, and find you've been in the hospital - that sounds really serious! I don't understand - you've been at the doctors, had the tests and x-rays and seemed to be recovering. This must have hit you like a ton of bricks. I'm so glad you went to the hospital and they took care of all the issues. You must have felt just awful!

    My good healing thoughts go out to you for a speedy recovery. Take care, drink lots of fluids and get lots of sleep. That always seems to help, whatever the problem is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no not coffee! Thinking about you ;)

    ReplyDelete