Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, November 15, 2012

I thought I would write a quick entry while I'm waiting for my baked potato to come out of the oven.  This morning I was down to 111#, and I will soon start to get pretty nervous about that.  I'm about 5'5" (having lost about an inch over the past few years); in 2000 I weighed about 137/8 pounds and looked and felt better than I have since.  I went back to smoking for one, then had to have a stent to unblock an artery (2004), and I've never been able to gain back the weight nor have I felt really great since that time.

TV is soooo boring I can't believe I'm watching it for a few hours every day.  Usually in the mornings I watch Animal Cops Houston, but this morning it was Animal Cops Philadelphia.  Mostly abused dogs are the cases, but every now and then a different animal comes to their attention.  This morning I saw a gorgeous German Shepherd and it makes me want either a male lab or shepherd - but not an alpha male.  I know there is no way I would be able to even entertain the thought right now, but if I ever get back to "normal" I'll get another dog.

The worst thing about TV is the commercials.  Never before have I seen so many that feature smart-mouth kids having to explain things to their stupid parents, and the parents are always featured as being in awe of this smart kid.  That really teaches respect for their elders, doesn't it.

Another thing that drives me crazy and sends me thrashing the mute button is all the talking toys.  I know they've been around for a while, but what is wrong with a kid using his or her imagination rather than have a stupid looking toy animal talking to you.  There is even a book that you supposedly can read to your kids that responds with a bark when you read the animal's name.  I always had to do the sound effects myself when reading to my kids - Bark, bark!  Moo, moo!

Can you tell I've had just about enough of sitting around like this?  At least I will see my doctor tomorrow morning and can hopefully get a prognosis on how long it's going to take.

A commenter suggested a product called Ensure for weight gain.  When my ex was dying from cancer the hospice nurse recommended he drink the stuff.  He said "Hell no, that's for old people."   I sort of feel the same way although I know it's not exactly accurate.  I think Ensure used to be advertised for very old people with no teeth, and I guess I can't get around that although I've probably reached that age myself!

Son Joe stopped by this morning and brought me a new eyeglass holder.  He knew my old one had broken and I'm thrilled to have another one as I still seem to be misplacing my glasses whenever I take them off.  He told me that he has been one of 4 respiratory therapy students to be given a chance to do clinical at UC Davis Med Center.  He's currently doing clinical at Mercy General (the main hospital for the satellite hospital I was recently in).  UCD is be an golden opportunity to work and learn with the best in the field, and will certainly look good on his resume.

I can smell the baking potato from where my computer is at the other end of the house, so I will go get ready for my lunch - going to top it with lots of butter & shredded cheese, although I may leave off the bacon & sour cream until I'm sure I can deal with it.

I'm trying my best to catch up on blog reading, but have to get back to my recliner or the couch periodically.  I am also not proofreading my posts before I hit Publish, and apologize for errors.  I normally re-check it at least a couple of times, but just don't have the energy right now.

10 comments:

  1. Hopefully as you start feeling better and better, your appetite will pick up and you can gain some of that lost weight. Do you suppose you need to have that stent checked to make sure it hasn't gotten partially clogged? They told Jim that could happen to the one he has. And we could care less if you have typos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling a lot better. Once you get your appetite up and runnlng at top speed, you will put the weight back on and your energy will return. Don't worry about spelling, I never could spell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 111 for someone 5'5" does seem too thin and no wonder you don't feel as well as when you weighed more. The body has a way of knowing our optimal weight and that's where we feel best. David had a very hard time putting on weight when his blood counts were low. Are your whites and reds in the normal range yet? It seems he was the opposite of what most people complain about. He lost the weight with no effort and is having a hard time putting it back on. In about 4 months he's put on 12 pounds I think. Still about 12 or so to go to be back to his former thin self. But he is feeling better. You will too, just keep eating....pasta, bread, butter..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although Slim-fast is for dieting, lots of athletes use it as a supplement to their regular food so they get enough calories. Comes in different flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate commercials and no longer watch them at home. I have a Tivo system and record in everything I want to watch and therefore can skip the ads. Any DVR system would do the same. Saves a lot of boring time:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you are on the mend and that you are able to eat foods that are nutritious and healthy. Try to eat small meals several times a day. Milkshakes are also good for weight gain. Sure wish that I could some of my extra weight with you as I have some to spare .LOL! Seriously, love your blog and praying for you to have a quick recovery . Take care , rest and try to eat often as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can have the50 I lost this year. I have to be so careful about everything I eat so I dont regain any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you're doing better. Keep it up. Ensure is great stuff, I like the chocolate the best but vanilla and strawberry are good too.

    It's not an OLD thing, it's a gain weight thing. I drank it a lot when I was younger, trying to gain weight to enter the military. Never made it though.

    Get well quick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see you can eat again. When I was pregnant with Hannah I was so sick that I lost wt instead of gaining it. My dr. told me to drink milkshakes to help maintain my wt. Now milk products don't always set well with me especially if my stomach is upset. Not sure how your taste buds were handling things since your bad taste on the wine. Once you get to feeling better you will put the wt back on and probably won't be able to fill you up. Congratulations to your son!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on your son's success! good for him---

    And hope you start feeling back up to snuff again soon. That weight loss is not good, and Ensure might help you out. I was given some during a nuclear stress test, and they offered me a variety of flavors. I chose vanilla... yummm!


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Old Blog Name) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    (New Blog Name) RVing: This Country Is Our Big Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete