Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Shopping trip

My daughter called me a little after 9:00 am to ask if I wanted to go shopping with her. The clincher was that she was going alone, no kids along. I love the kids dearly, but remembering having to shop with four little ones of my own I must say one of the joys of aging is that you no longer have to deal with taking kids into stores. It was a good day for me because she drove, and is willing to drive to places I wouldn't go near especially on a weekend. I didn't buy much, but I did get one of the most important gifts on my list. The best part though is spending time with my daughter. We don't have the opportunity very often, so I couldn't pass up the chance.

I am totally worn out this evening and will just sit in my recliner after a supper of sandwich and a beer.

Thanks to those who left me positive comments on my Ireland and Appalachian Trail blogs. I need to go over them myself and do some editing and fixing, as well as to add pictures. I have tons of photographs taken on my extensive travels, and as soon as I get a scanner working I will start posting them plus writing descriptions to go along with them. I have quite a few wonderful memories of Korea, Tokyo, El Salvador, Germany, Ireland, Iceland, etc., plus many photos taken on various trips in the US.

Someone asked why I would want to quit blogging, and the answer is that while I really love comments on what I write, I don't like criticism and ridicule. When the Mr. Angry Anonymous decides to leave a nasty or jerky comment, I just feel like throwing it all away, which is probably the exact reaction he wants. But I don't like to play games, and I would rather get out of the arena than to deal with the aggravation it causes me. He always waits until he figures I have become complacent and then BAM! I don't know how others feel about it, but I don't think I'm alone - maybe my skin is just a bit thinner. Once in a while I read a blog that I don't agree with, but I hope I never leave a comment that is hurtful or insulting.

I bought the ingredients to make chocolate chip cookies, and will have a cookie baking session when Ara is home for Christmas holiday. I'm thinking of including the 5 yr old and nearly-4 yr old, although I can't imagine working in my kitchen in a group of 2 adults and 2 little girls. I wish I had a dishwasher, and I sure wish my new electric range hooked up. It's too bad (or maybe it's a blessing in disguise) that I am not set up for sleep-overs or we could really make it a fun celebration. I do hope to have Ara spend a night sometime, as I finally found Piper Heidseck champagne, which I think is the perfect tasting champagne, and I want to share it with someone. I really wanted to have some champagne to celebrate my moving into my home but I don't drink that stuff alone. Some things are just too social and need company for complete enjoyment (good coffee almost fits that description as well). But I can't let her drive home, so she will have to spend the night.

I mentioned previously that I was looking for an alternative to gmail, and I have tried two programs so far. Neither of them is any easier to use than gmail, and in fact, are a bit more complicated, or possibly less intuitive. I will keep searching. I will only try a program that lets me keep my gypsy97 name, which leaves out Yahoo. I tried to create a Yahoo account years ago and must have messed up the first try, so I will never be able to use it again there. I use Yahoo groups, but email isn't an option, and Hotmail is a windows program (I believe).

This morning when Jeannie got here she wanted to look at the ads in my Sunday paper while I was drying my hair. All of the sudden all of the electric went out, all through the house. I didn't know what to do or whether this was an outage throughout the park, or what. I went outside to see if I could see any lights anywhere, and stopped a gentleman out for a walk. I asked him if he had seen any lights or Christmas lights on and explained that I had no electricity. He said he was a retired electrician (am I lucky, or what!) and came over to check it out. I had no clue where the electric panel is, and it turned out to definitely not be outside. He said it is usually indoors and asked if he could come in and look for it. We found it in my bedroom closet, and he reset it so I had electric. When I take a shower I set my little electric heater on the bathroom sink and aim it toward the shower, but I turn it off before I turn on the hairdryer. This morning I set the little heater back in the living room and aimed it at Jeannie while I was drying my hair. I found out the heater and hairdryer can't be on at the same time, just as it was in my RV. So I learned to stop and think twice before I turn the hairdryer on, as well as to appreciate Frank, the retired electrician. It seems there are a lot of folks in this park who offer help to those who need it. Not everyone, but a lot of them.

15 comments:

  1. You can use hotmail with a Mac with no problem. I've used it for years as an extra account. I also have a gmail account but I think Yahoo is the best.

    You can set up your blog to not accept anonymous comments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo has ymail.com and rocketmail.com as well as yahoo.com so your gypsy97 may be available with those extensions. It's all still yahoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A day of shopping would wear me out - that I can guarantee. And I love children, but after listening to the screaming ones at the store the other day, it's like okay - I'm fine without them around. Haven't had a chance to check out your other blogs yet - lucky I get these read and some days I don't. But I'll get over to see them as soon as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like Sandra said you can block anonymous commenters or just read and delete.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful picture of Shasta as your new header!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deleting anonymous comments would not be fair to the nice ones that only know how to comment that way. That's what Mr. ANGRY wants you to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I got married and wanted to set up a new email with my new name, I wanted a yahoo address because that is what I have always used. They now offer an @ymail option as well as @yahoo like their older ones. I used the ymail one so I could get the user name I wanted. You might try that and see if the username you want is available there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those cookies sure sound good. I remember making Christmas Cut-out cookies with all the little girls in our family. Then we would let them decorate them however they wanted. That is such a great memory for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice header picture. I understand your feelings about rude and sarcastic anonymous commenters. I still think we are dealing with the same egotistical person over and over. How sad to have one bad apple in the blogging basket.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you don't have to add another breaker box to the outside to accomdate your electric stove, or increase your power to a 200 amp service. That could get expensive.

    That is why smaller 100 amp trailers usually have gas stoves. The only gas I have in my house is a propane cooktop which is attached to a small refillable propane tank outside. The tank lasts me for months. If the power goes out I am not 'dead in the water'. I can still cook, heat water and make coffee.

    Happy Tails and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is my thots too, Penny, on the electric stove.
    As far as commenters, you can block anybody. It's somewhere in the settings.
    Also, on yahoo.com,, use Gypsy,,,then for last name use the numbers. That's what i did on mine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you can use hotmail with a Mac...I have a hotmail (but its only for spam and junk mail)..I have my gmail set up under my mac mail..and don't ever have to go to the gmail site to get it...thank heavens for good neighbours :) have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is unfortunate about the anonymous commenter who doesn't leave a name. Please don't let it influence your decision to keep blogging. I don't have a blog but thoroughly enjoy reading the RV blogs as they are informative, funny, and very enjoyable. I can't remember the passwords to the systems I use now at home and work so I keep logging in as anonymous and will continue to do so til I retire in a few years.
    I have followed your blog for a while now and am looking forward to seeing your pics of previous travels.

    Bev in NS Canada- not anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A day of shopping, just the two of you, this should be an annual tradition. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hate that people would be able to make you stop blogging from their comments :( you can't let the jerks get you down when there are so many people who are reading and enjoying your blog (self included!). I agree about the kids, it can be such a nightmare. I have two boys but that's enough, I couldn't imagine managing anymore. If they have friends over I refuse to go out and take an extra little monster to wrangle. That's actually a big part of why I started ordering stuff online, it was just easier then dealing with bringing my kids to the store. I did almost all of my Christmas shopping online this year. I found myself spending a lot more on items from The Sportsman's Guide's gift guide 2011. I was browsing their selection for my husband, and wound up finding toys for my boys and a few for my niece and nephews too.

    ReplyDelete