Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, December 2, 2011

If I had a dollar . . .

. . . for every time I've said "Oh shit!" while painting, I would be able to pay a painter to do the kitchen for me. It's all coming along very nicely though, and I love the bright yellow on the living room walls. I didn't know if using the same bright color in the other part of the living room would be too much, but I am going to go for it.

With every house I've had I was always told to "paint white for resale" and although I used some muted colors in my Virginia condo, I didn't do anything bold (and of course had to paint white before selling). Even here I changed my mind at the last minute about the bedroom walls, and I regret it. So the living room will be my joy.

I have said that I used to be so good at painting, but have to admit I now cut a few corners and get sloppy once in a while. I'm the one living with it, and if I don't care then it's okay in my book. Specifically, I know I should have taken down the hardware at the double sliding door entry. There are vertical blinds there, and they work all right for me - the late afternoon sun makes a brief appearance through this doorway, and if it is extremely bright I can just tilt the verticals slightly and still see what's going on outside. I should say that Lady can see what's going on outside. That is her post, right in front of the doors and if only she could talk she could tell you exactly what is going on in the neighborhood. The hardware being so close to the ceiling makes it difficult to paint the very top of that wall, and I think I got some yellow paint on one or two of the blinds. It's not where anyone can see it though, so it will just be my secret!

In every room of this house there are blank outlet covers - not used for anything that I can see although they probably provide access to some electric wires. In all the other rooms I carefully painted around them, but now I'm painting over them. I like it much better as they blend in with the wall so well. I know better than to paint over outlet covers and switch plates because of the likelihood you will some day have to remove one of them. I discovered, however, that many professional house painters just spray over them. In my last apartment there were a couple of places where I couldn't get the plug into the wall through all that paint.

I awoke very early to the wonderful aroma of freshly baked bread, so of course I got up and had two slices while it was still warm enough to melt the butter. I may have two more for lunch! Donald's mom gave me her breadmaker since she never uses it. Her late husband made the bread. I had my doubts because I gave away a machine that didn't make the kind of bread I wanted, and I also used Donald & Jeannie's machine to try out. I was really considering trying it by hand like in the old days, but this one made the perfect loaf on the first try! The funny thing is that I set the timer delay before I pressed the proper buttons for "French bread" and "Medium crust", and while I was very accurate with most measurements I just eyeballed a couple. If I have any of the loaf long enough for it to get stale I plan to make my own croutons. Just taking a look at the ingredients listed on the commercially made croutons made me decide I'd rather make my own and not put all that crap into them. So for now I've been eating my salads without croutons but not for long.

As I re-read what I've written I realize it sounds like I'm a bit defensive. That's probably because I am just a little defensive. It isn't easy transforming from someone who was a perfectionist (and dissatisfied with anyone who wasn't)*** into an easy-going laid-back woman! It also isn't easy to realize I'm not perfect and don't do anything perfect. Maybe the past was just a mirage!

One last observation: I don't think I ever had any spam comments on my blog until Blogger started "catching" spam. Now I get lots of it. Coincidence?

*** I should have phrased this differently. I thought if I wanted something done right I would have to do it myself. I wasn't necessarily dissatisfied with other people, but I wanted to do it my way. My late ex husband played this like a violin. That wily old fox became terrible at painting, glazing windows, caulking, and you name it. Of course I could do it better than he did, and he got the last laugh. He's probably laughing his butt off wherever he is now.

9 comments:

  1. You've come a long way baby!! Laid back is not a bad thing and having a little paint on the very top of a blind is definitely nothing to worry about. I'm sure Lady doesn't care as long as she can keep an eye on the neighborhood and keep you safe from any cats. And I'm sure the job you've done painting is probably 90% better than anything I would do. I'm about as far from a perfectionist as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got homr from picking Adam up. and saw your Thursday & Todays blog,
    It's Miller Time here too, and I have been drinking the Light on my Doctors recomendation, lower in alcohol, and salt. But it is good and cold and taste good that's all that counts
    Be safe out there.Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was married to a perfectionist,,for 26 years. Drove me NUTS. Much better, to be laid back, easy to please.
    Did i ever tell u, yellow and green, my fav colors. lolol. Can't go wrong..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty sure you are getting the last laugh. :-))

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching the progress, and you are coming along very well.

    Looking forward to seeing it all finished, so that you rest for a while.

    'Green and yella', reminds me of the old nursery rhyme about snakes.

    Lady looks so content in her new home.

    Happy Tails, and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be a good painter too. Now I make such a mess its awful. And I also used to love to paint now hate it. And if I ever wanted to sell anything its going to be as is. And I have color believe me.
    LOL We all need color in our lives.
    And who ever buys a white walled house is going to paint them in color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been a perfectionist, but could never find the right words to describe myself. One day it came to me, I am "results oriented." No problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. getting it done and seeing the progress is the ultimate goal right? Doesn't matter if theres a bit of paint on the top of the blind..only you (and now us) know its there :) lol I used to be type A personality felt if I wanted something done right I may as well do it myself..now I'm much more laid back..and I like me better this way...great blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Painting ain't my thing. Have done a lot of it, but had to make a lot of those comments you use. We do have to do some wall fixing in our trailer bedroom, and will eventually paint the one wall. We're thinking about a deep blue.

    ReplyDelete