Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Deja Vu

Watching the Weather Channel last night brought to mind my maiden voyage in Dec. 2008 from NY to CA. I drove from NY to Asheville and spent some time getting my stored items in order, and then headed west on I-40. By the time I got to Little Rock it was obvious I couldn't continue on I-40, so I dropped down to I-20, requiring me to drive around a metropolitan area I was terrified to drive in, much less pulling a 34' 5th wheel. I was held captive in an RV park in Arlington, TX for two days and then finally ventured out to continue my journey. I drove through parts of TX and NM that I hadn't driven through previously, but the weather and forced detour left a negative impression on my mind so that I never want to go back. That was the second time I've had to deal with Dallas in icy weather. By the time I got to NM the ice was gone but the cold remained. I want to emphasize that the Dallas Ft. Worth area is a great place. I spent two weeks there on business in the mid 1980's, and the traffic was pretty bad then but I liked the area. We stayed at a hotel in Arlington, worked in Ft. Worth, and visited Dallas on a weekend. But that was in better weather and because I always liked to travel in the non travel/vacation season, I usually drove cross country in the winter time.

I hope the weather warms up for all those who converge on the southwest in the winter hoping to find respite from the cold and snow of the more northerly states. Blustery, icy, cold weather certainly isn't what you signed up for!

I realized as soon as I started painting the hallway yellow that one coat was going to suit me just fine. No way will I spend a minute longer doing that crazy patchwork of panels and wood strips. I painted for about an hour and a half and then stopped for a while to go buy more paint. When I got back the electric range was sitting in a box on my front porch on a pallet. I couldn't even tip it because it's so heavy (or maybe I've just become a lightweight). I'm going to leave it there for now, and maybe wrap a tarp around it. Even if I could get it into the house I'm not sure where I could put it. I think it will require taking both glass doors down in order for the stove to fit. Steve had said he would wire it up when he gets into town at Christmas, although I doubt if I can just leave it there all that time.

I wanted to post a picture of the finished hallway, but for some reason the picture is sideways and I can't get it to upload to Blogger in the proper rotation. When I look on iPhoto the picture is fine, but the uploaded photo is sideways.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Big D in the 70's, but the traffic wasn't so bad then, and I could zip across town on those freeways easily. It was very hot in the summer and often had sn*w and ice in the winter.

    The news of the surgeon's report is great news, I hope that your sight continues to improve.

    Your little nest is looking good.

    Hugs to Lady, and Happy Trails to you, Penny, TX

    December 6, 2011 8:51 PM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering the direction I've been going, all my travels through Dallas/Ft. Worth have been some of the easiest I've done of big cities. Now Houston and Chicago are another story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having problems with pictures from my iPhone showing up upside down when I download them to my PC - and I can't turn them, either. Something with Windows and the iPhone not compatible, I'm assuming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Dallas on and off for 20 years. The City grew so fast that the freeways and such couldn't keep up!

    I feel that way about Los Angeles. I hate hate hate to drive through there.

    Everyone going a bazillion miles an hour bumper to bumper!

    But... once you learn Dallas... as any large place... it is fairly easy... from the loop to the Parkways, etc... they still need better mass transit there... just makes no sense for a place that large to not have better public movers...

    Great news about your eyes! and I love reading about your DIY stuff... I have a house I really need to do exactly what your doing. Paint over paneling and pull up carpet...

    yuck

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful news from you eye Dr.
    I know what you mean about those strips of wood on the walls. I pulled them all off when I moved here and what a job that was to fill in all those seems. The hall ways were the worst. Nice color and it sure makes a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is very cold in the Southwest here in El Paso low tonight is forcast to be 16 degrees and 33 tomorrow and will then start warming and be 50 by end of week.

    When we go through big cities we try to leave at 5 am Sunday morning or 4 am during the week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wouldn't you just know they would deliver it the minute you run out for just a quick errand. Hope you don't have to wait more than 2 weeks to get it inside.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I generally try to avoid all big cities but if I have to do one I try to line it up early on a Sunday morning or even Saturday. I worked in heavy traffic in all kinds of weather for a bunch of years and no longer have the patience for that stuff. Don't think I would be trying to move that range in if I were you. With recent eye surgery that would be way to much strain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish you luck with getting the stove inside and hooked up. Maybe someone in the park could give a hand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Old paneling is hard, needing more coats of paint. Well, wood paneling is what i did, and it kinda just soaked that first coat in. I painted my bedroom a light gold color. You're doing a great job.
    Austin Tx is the 3rd worst place to drive in,,,read that about a month ago,,in the whole USA. It's the largest city near me. about 72 miles. I have to see my lap band doc there, hate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. enjoying following your renos...will be watching for more pictures :)..be sure to fit in some 'rest' time..

    ReplyDelete