Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, December 10, 2011

A couple of additions

In response to Carolyn's inquiry about my Ireland blog, I have added links to both my journals written while I was in Ireland (2000-2003) and my backpack journey of the Appalachian Trail (1997). The Ireland blog consists of only a few entries, but one of these contains daily journal entries. The blog was taken from letters written to my mother while I was in Ireland, and there are noticeable gaps plus the entries she didn't save from the last year I was there. I think it may have been because a man was living with me (horrors and shame!!!) and she just didn't approve.

I used a different program for the Appalachian Trail blog so it isn't quite like what you may be accustomed to in Blogger.

I removed these links a while back when I was seriously considering tossing the whole blog thing into the can. I still have days like that once in a while, when I wonder why I even keep this up.

I decided it was time for a new header photo, and this one depicts one of my favorite sites - Mt. Shasta. It is seen from a great distance in every direction, and when it first comes in sight you can't help but feel your heart jump in amazement at the beautiful sight of it. I make no claims to be a good photographer, and I normally don't enhance or do anything to my photos. This is mainly because I'm too lazy to sit down and really learn how to do it. I also realized many years ago that you can't capture the beauty of nature on film or on a canvas. You can come close, but some sights just have to be held in memory. I guess the photos or drawings help to trigger the memory, and I hope my poor attempts at picture taking trigger the memories of those who have been fortunate enough to see Crater Lake and Mt. Shasta.


This was taken during my visit with Judy and Emma back in August of this year:


These pictures were from my stop at Crater Lake in Oregon as well as the views of Shasta:









Since these photos are from the CD of film developed at Costco, they don't act the same as photos imported from my digital camera. For this reason, you may not be able to enlarge them to the same degree.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos - I don't know if I've seen Mt. Shasta, I don't remember, or Crater Lake. Future trips, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish the temps today were as warm as they were in August. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Gypsy... also for the Mt. Shasta picture. I remember the first time I saw it. I wasn't prepared for how beautiful it was/is.

    And, you are so right about not being able to capture nature... the colors!

    living in sin were ya... HAhaaaa

    My Mother threw away pictures she thought was distasteful... such as miniskirts... SIGH

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful pictures..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pictures. You are so right about them never being able to quite capture what I am seeing. So I always assume when looking at anyone's pictures that the real thing must be even more lovely than what I'm seeing. Although maybe I'm just a poor photographer. Be that as it may, I love seeing all the beauty picture taking or no.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've kind of given up on getting good pictures. I don't have the time nor patience I guess to come up with the really good ones. But I still love looking at them and by the way - they blew up just fine for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos with some great memories attached to them, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do not understand why you would consider to stop blogging when you do such a fine job and have so many following your blogs. Is it a lot of work.?As you can tell I don't do it, but enjoy yours & others. MELANIE

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Melanie. I don't think you realize how many read your blog. Can't fulltime due to husband's poor health, but I enjoy reading about others traveling and, even though you're not traveling anymore, your blog is still interesting. I even told DH about the lady giving you the home. There are still good people in this world! Love the pics. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your new header picture. The colors are so fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures are great! Clear and color is fine. Thank you for sharing. Beautiful Mountain I have seen it from afar and it still stood proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now I want to get to Mt Shasta and Crater Lake. Great Pictures!!! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your Ireland posts very much... thanks for posting the links. and
    wow....

    I wanna go! I'm anxious to learn why you went and why you left -- Ara is adorable!

    Wish you had pictures... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read your AT journal last night. Funny, I've followed AT journals for the past 5 or so years, and hiked the approach trail and have plans to hike the entire thing. That plan has motivated me to do whatever necessary to pay off debt so I can take the time off. Which is why I'm in Honduras working as a contractor. It also is motivating me to get back(?) into physical shape since I will be at least 60 before I can hike it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The pictures are beautiful, and I love your new header.

    ReplyDelete