Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Gardening suggestion

Don't grow peas, unless you have done it before and know how to control the plants - staking, trellis, etc.  I used stakes and even tomato cages, but those darn plants overwhelmed everything I tried to do to control them.  I pulled out most of the vines and removed pods from them, and am going to clean out the entire plot and dump the plants.   They were fun to watch in the earlier stages of growth, but I began to recall the old story of Jack and the Beanstalk just recently.  I wish I had bought or made trellises as I think that would have been a better solution.

The sun has been alternating with the clouds today, but it has been a decent day overall.  I took Rocky for a walk, and was out in the yard with him for a while, alternately throwing a ball for him to catch, and tending to the pea vines in the garden.  I need the garden space because some of my tomato plants are about mature enough to be planted in the soil.   I have two trays of about 29 plants that I move outside in the morning, and then bring back indoors at night.  I'm not sure what nighttime temps in the 40's and 50's would do to the tender plants.

I have enough dog food on hand to hopefully last through August.  Just to be on the safe side, I placed an order for another 30# bag.  They usually ship the day the order is placed and I get it the following day, but it seems like everyone is ordering at once, and I was told it might take a few days.  I'm glad I went ahead and placed the order when I did.  It's not like I could run up to the store and buy more in case I need to - so I want to be prepared for a few months.  I am prepared with my own food and supplies, and have to take care of my best friend!

Speaking of my best friend, he is showing signs of lack of long walks and interaction with other people.  Poor thing.   And poor me - I'm suffering from social distancing, for sure!

Take care and stay well.

6 comments:

  1. Went to pick up my much needed meds today so I am good for 3 months and the missing pneumonia shot. The store was the same mad house mess but with lots of coughing and screaming kids. I couldn't wait to get of there. Now I am settled in and have no reason to go anywhere for as long as it takes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you washed your hands when you got home :-)

      Delete
    2. By the way, I am so sick of washing my hands endlessly. I don't see how my skin can handle much more of it, even though I do use lotion.

      Delete
    3. As soon as I left the store I coated my hands with sanitizer and then the minute I got home I washed them twice and my face. My hands are so sensitive and burn so lots of lotion also being used

      Delete
  2. I do not think I would ever start a garden. I tried once and spent a lot of money renting a tiller? (have no idea if that is what it is called), new soil and about 50 plants only to have about three of them give a little product. I admire people like yourself who put forth the time and effort into their gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried numerous times to have a garden, and the only things that have worked for me are tomatoes and zucchini! So that is what I will grow this year, and maybe add another thing or two just to see what happens.

      Delete