Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Getting out for a while

I'm waiting on Jeannie to go to Costco, and my list grows by the minute.  The cost of grocery items is going up so fast and I plan to stock up on what I can.  Another thing I'm planning to get is some shrimp.  I can't afford the great big kind, so the small, Pacific wild caught ones will do.  I have this craving for shrimp and grits, and already bought the grits from my local grocery store.  I couldn't afford the shrimp at their prices, so I'll see what Costco has to offer.

I took Rocky for a decent walk today and it must have tired him out a little bit, but he is sticking close to me like glue!  He knows I'm going to go out without him.  I usually bring something good back to him, although the last few times I've been to Costco they don't seem to have as much in the way of dog treats or toys.

I was out in the back yard with Rocky today cleaning up after him, and played a bit of soccer with him.  A while back I bought him a small kids' size basketball, which he "plays" soccer with.  I'll have to say he is good - I can't seem to get the ball past him!  All in all, I hope he is a bit tired out and won't be so heartbroken to be left alone.  I realize I don't exercise him enough, but that is probably because I've been feeling so blah lately.  I think it may have had  something to do with the tooth I had pulled, because I'm starting to feel a little bit better now.  Something has been dragging me down, and I hope I can now pull myself up to a reasonably capable old lady :-)  I want to cut the grass in the back yard (mostly weeds), but the lawn mower is in the shed and I doubt I have the strength to start it.  I hate to ask one of the guys to start it because they will feel obligated to cut the grass for me, and I'd like to do it myself even if I can't do it all at once.

Another week in January flew by, and it will be February before we know it.  I want to have my tomato seeds planted by the end of January in hopes they will germinate and grow indoors until I can set them outside in the garden.  I will buy a pkg of styrofoam cups at Costco to plant the seeds in.  I hope I have as good luck as I had last year with the tomatoes.  Getting the garden soil turned over and tilled will be my biggest problem, and I hope I can start that next week.

In spite of all the not-so-good news lately, I'm looking forward to a successful 2020.  Take care, and I'll be back soon.

11 comments:

  1. Hope you have a very prolific garden this year. Don't over do it, gardening is hard work. It is easier to go to the farmer's market or Wal-Mart. Maybe I am just getting old and lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the wonderful tomatoes and squash I grew last summer, I'm definitely going to try them again this year. I will probably get the other produce at a farmer's market.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I would have to have several extension cords to reach the back of my yard, but definitely would prefer an electric if I could have it. Much quieter for one thing.

      Delete
  3. I think you are going to do just fine with your gardening. I bet having that bad tooth is what made you not want to do anything. Hope now that it is healing you will start to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already feeling so much better, and have a greatly improved outlook.

      Delete
  4. Shrimp and grits sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it though! I can't wait to cook them.

      Delete
  5. Glad you got rid of that bad tooth.
    If you really want to tire Rocky out find a Ball Chucker. It uses Tennis sized balls that he has to bring back to you. That will have him running more and you less.
    You might consider putting up a small fence to keep Rocky out of the Garden.
    They now have fairly reliable Battery Powered Lawn Mowers. And since you have to do the cutting in two stages that sounds like the perfect time for both you and the Battery to recharge.
    Be Safe and Enjoy your garden.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a ball chucker, but don't have the strength in my arms to chuck it very far. Rocky got hold of the chucker and chewed it to pieces! I do have a fence around the garden, but Mr.Smarty has seen me go through a small space I left to go in and out (and believe me it is small), so I've caught him using that space and getting into the garden a few times.

      I've been reviewing lawn mowers on the internet and like the idea of a battery powered one. Do any of my readers have first hand experience with one?

      Thanks for the suggestions.

      Delete
  6. I remember you mentioning before your high grocery prices...do you think it is because you live in an expensive state? Fortunately, the prices in Texas are still affordable.

    HEB has good prices on shrimp. I buy the small ones so I can put them in my shrimp ramen soup when on sale they cost $5.00 a package.

    When I lived in Houston I used an electric lawn mower and it worked for me since I had a small yard. Can not offer advice on a battery powered one but look at videos on YouTube.

    I am happy that exactly one year from now a new President will be sworn in.

    ReplyDelete