Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Nothing seems to change

I don't know why but Rocky still seems to be limping, and it's making me mad!  I paid for a visit to the vet, plus 3 different prescriptions, (and he has no medical insurance) but he's still not getting any better.  I have to take him back soon and will request an xray to see what might be wrong.  Because we used to take several walks throughout the day, we both miss the exercise, so I've been walking him just a short couple of blocks every evening.  He doesn't mind turning around and going back home so the walk is bothering him at least a little.  Everything changes when Jeannie's girls walk in, however, and he's ready to play!

I picked two small zucchini yesterday and that may be it for the season.  Today I shredded them along with carrots and onion, added an egg, and made the mixture  into patties that I fried for my lunch.  Sooo good!  I hate to see the season end, but in a couple of months I hope to be eating lots of greens at every meal.  At least I could freeze some of the greens for use in soup, but I never did freeze the zukes.  The tomatoes will be finished soon also, so I want to get other plants into the ground and hope to be able to harvest up through November/December unless we get an early cold spell, which would be unusual.

You might think I stick to a healthy diet, but I'm addicted to sweets, especially ice cream!  I eat one or more Klondike bars  a day.

I've been thinking a lot lately  about hiring someone to do cleaning for me once or twice a month.  With my eyesight deteriorating I don't often see dirt (and am shocked when I sweep the floors at least twice a day at how much dog hair has been lying there), but I  wonder how it looks to visitors.   Much of my hesitation to pay someone do it for me arises because of when and where I was born, in what is called "The Silent Generation".  I don't know if I could bring myself to pay someone for doing what I should be doing.  I had a wonderful childhood although it was exceptionally frugal, and hiring a maid or cleaning staff was something only rich people could do.  It isn't the money, but the idea is so unlike my upbringing and lifestyle I'm not sure if I could do it!  Isn't that a silly way to think!

I need to go now and call Rocky back inside.  I can tell the daylight hours are getting shorter and shorter, but the best is that the temperatures have moderated.  I'll be back in a day or two.
 
 

19 comments:

  1. They didn't xray Rocky but gave him 3 meds to take? That sound bad to me. Sounds like some people Dr. just hand out pills.

    The weather has cooled off a bit but the humidity is still high and of course the temps will start to go up again soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like one is for joints, one is for pain & inflammation, and the other is a dietary supplement. They make a lot of money on meds, and a whole lot of money on x-rays.

      Delete
  2. Please please take Rocky to a REAL vet - not to Banfield at Petsmart! Banfield has a terrible reputation in the "dog world" and they are very expensive! He may well have hip dysplasia (common in Labs). His excitment when the kids arrive increases his adrenaline which masks his pain! If he's still limping, then the meds aren't really helping. Plus, the supplements are much cheaper at Walmart of online vet pharmacy. Lynn in Kingston NY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should add to emphasize just how bad Banfield is overall (and I know that each 1 has different vets working there, but they all have to follow the company line): a friend's daughter took her healthy cat to a Banfield clinic last week for a yearly "health plan" check up. The vet gave this 3 yr old indoor cat multiple vaccines, including Rabies, plus administered worming med and a topical flea treatment (cat had no fleas!): Within 2 hours the cat was stone-cold dead! Overloaded with drugs. Similar thing happened last year to a puppy that my neighbor purchased and took to vet when the puppy was 6 months old.

      Delete
    2. Good heavens, Lynn, and thank you for telling me this. I started taking Rocky to the Banfield inside a nearby PetsMart. Now that I've moved, we tried the Banfield nearby which is just a stand-alone vet service. I liked this one better but what I see Rocky going through makes me wonder what they are doing. By the way, the breeder gave me info and assurance that his parents and well as he himself were free of dysplasia. My yearly plan that I signed up for expires Sept. 15th, and I need to find a good vet nearby. I hated the thought of taking him back to Banfield since what they gave me hasn't changed a thing with the way he often limps. Your response has made me decide to find anoth4er vet, and I thank you.

      Delete
    3. So glad I didn't antagonize you, Gypsy with my strong advice. Having had a beautiful sweet dog killed by an incompetent emergency clinic vet, I am no longer tolerant of vets who are just out for the $$$. Hip dysplasia is, I think, impossible to tell if it exists in a young puppy -- even if his parents were cleared by the OFA Registry (orthopedic foundation of animals), he could still develop it. Finding a good vet is so hard -- but neighborhood online reviews are always a great starting point! Give Rocky a hug -- so wonderful you have him in your life.... even if he is naughty sometimes. :)

      Delete
    4. I know I'm fortunate to have Rocky. He often makes me laugh and is just plain good company. I was given his OFA certification when I got him, so I can only hope. In all the years I've written a blog I can count on two fingers how many times I've been antagonized. I've learned so much from viewer's comments and really appreciate their intent even when I haven't agreed with the content. I appreciate your comments and advice, and have decided to find another vet soon. After talking with my son-in-law I think I agree that Rocky is slowly improving, especially when he told me his own wrist is still giving him problems after he hurt it several weeks ago. Those kinds of injuries don't heal overnight or in a week.

      Delete
  3. We go to a Vet's that run by all women. It is called "Tender Paws" and they are wonderful and caring about our dogs. They are a little out of the way but worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diz! I'd go a little out of the way for a good vet, but from CA to TX is quite a bit out of the way. I know what you mean though - you need to find the best vet for your pet.l

      Delete
    2. I belong to a neighborhood "list" and someone on it told me abut a very good vet near me. The reviews were outstanding, and I will make an appointment for as soon as my son-in-law can take me and the dog to her office.

      Delete
  4. My lab Sam was running one day, chasing a Frisbee, and he suddenly yelped and started limping..I thought he sprained it so waited a week before going to vet. Turns out he broke the ligament in his back 'knee' and he needed to get surgery to repair it. The vet surgeon put in a pin and screws to repair the injury. Later on, he developed arthritis in that and other joints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've come to realize you can't keep a lab down, and they will eventually hurt themselves. Hopefully it won't be too bad, but it won't change their behavior one bit. It's one of the beauties of having a lab - their utter joy for living.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I loved him with all my heart. He passed away June 30th of this year..just shy of 10 years old. I miss his so much.

      Delete
    2. Cindy, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I understand how short a dog's life is, and you have to enjoy each stage of it even the constant chewing, jumping up, drooling everywhere (which labs do), and all the other things about them. Since this will no doubt be my last dog, I try to not get to upset about the things he does. He gives me laughs, tears, love, and so many other emotions.

      Delete
  6. Persistent limping could be an ankle or knee joint sprain. Lab's are full of energy until age 2 when something must click in their brain and they slow down and make ideal fur family. You might want to wrap the ankle or knee with vet wrap (not two tightly) to give Rocky support and see if the limping doesn't decrease. They are so active they injure themselves just being normal. An Xray will tell if there is any internal joint damage. Surprised your vet hasn't done this already as generally they take an Xray early to diagnosis the injury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply and suggestion about the wrap. I will see if my son-in-law will help me do it≥ My s-i-l and Rocky are so much alike. Very athletic but keep on injuring themselves. I love them both! I'm surprised the vet people didn't suggest an xray, but they loaded me up with about $100 worth of prescriptions and I'm sure if I go back they will want to xray him and charge me for that. I'm looking for a new vet. Rocky will be 18 months at the end of this month, and I look for the day when he can calm down a bit! The spirit and energy are so beautiful though.

      Delete
    2. I made a mistake above - Rocky will be 16 months old on Sep. 28.

      Delete
  7. Instead of or in addition to a maid, have you considered using one of those robot vacuums like the Roomba? We just bought the Roomba 690 for $275 at Lowes. Seems expensive but maid services add up, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be afraid of clogging up the Roomba with dog hair pretty quick. I can deal with the floors, surprisingly, but it's the countertops and appliances as well as the bathrooms that I don't seem to be able to keep up with. I blame it on my age, but in reality I think I've become lazy!

      Delete