Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, February 23, 2017

No more P.T.

I drove to Folsom for my 2nd of 4 sessions with the physical therapist, and was looking forward to it.  My kids howl with laughter because I leave so early for appointments, but there is a good reason for it and I hate to be late for anything!  I was raised to believe it is rude to keep someone waiting, but I didn't convey that to my children very well, or else the outside influences were stronger than mine.

I drove along the main street in Folsom for about 20-25 min. , pulling into this parking lot and that, and couldn't find the place.  If the buildings put their street numbers in plain sight I would have had no problem, but I couldn't find a number on either side of the road.  The traffic is always heavy in that area as there are many shopping centers with stores that usually have big crowds.  I made it to my appointment with 5 minutes to spare and thought, "This is it!"  I stayed for today's session but cancelled the next two.  The therapist printed out several pages of instructions with drawings of exercises I can do at home.

My vision wasn't as sharp today as it normally is, and it can hardly be called "sharp" at the best of times.   I hope to never have to drive to Folsom again and would like to keep my driving within a 10-mile radius of home, and only in areas I'm very familiar with.

I think I will take a nap and hope to find a msg from my doctor about the results of my thyroid tests when I wake up.  If I do, I will add an update to the blog.  I know I said I wasn't going to write any more about health issues, but the thyroid question is a big one.  If there is a positive result on the tests it sure would explain a lot, but I'm really hoping it is negative.  I don't want to be on medication the rest of my life, if I can even tolerate it at all. 

14 comments:

  1. The medicine for thyroid is cheap and fairly easily tolderated, at least by me. I just take it when I first get up. I can have coffee immediately, but nothing with calories for 30 min or so. I don't let myself have that first cup of coffee until I take that pill, and that is the only medicine I am close to 100% compliant. I usually don't want much to eat until I have my first cup of coffee anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still hoping I don't have a problem with my thyroid and I won't have to take any meds. Even OTC's cause bad things to happen with my heart.

      Delete
  2. I take thyroid medicine every day. Like my dear Mother used to say, "getting old ain't for sissies".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize you took thyroid meds, Diz. I'm hoping I will be able to avoid it - still waiting to hear from the dr.

      Delete
  3. I couldn't resist checking out Folsom. That is a pretty good distance from you. I hope you find something closer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to take the freeway for about 10 miles. Also, Folsom has grown so much it's difficult to recognize these days. One problem I have is I can't take my eyes off the road long enough to search for a bldg or a street number, etc. If it isn't obvious within a split second I can't keep looking away from my driving.

      Delete
  4. I, too, have always considered it rude to be late. When I was teaching in Dallas, the school principal used me as an example of someone who was never late, even though I had quite a drive to get there. I NEVER could get the message over to our daughter, though. I told her more than once that I had wasted years of my life waiting for her. An hour late. Two hours. We were heading to MN together---us in our RV--- they in their truck pulling a trailer. The plan was to leave by 9, so we could have an easy trip to Tulsa. They showed up at our house at 10. At 11, they were walking their dogs around our block. Grandkids used to tell me that Mom was confused. If she said she would be somewhere at a certain time--- that is the time she MIGHT be leaving her house. Things are better now. Both grandkids are driving. I pointed out to their mom that the kids pay attention. Both of them let me know if they are going to be five minutes late. Made her look bad. So now she is more prompt.
    Too bad you aren't going to any more sessions, since you said you enjoyed them. One of the worst things about getting old is the problem posed by
    transportation. Oftentimes the duress of getting there nullifies any benefits of being there!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter sounds like your daughter - never been on time in her life I don't think. I think it is caused by a deep seated anger, I sure she doesn't have a clue that it's there. My guess would be her Type 1 diabetes and all the other autoimmune disorders that go along with it. I'd be damned angry too, and I wouldn't be able to suppress it like she does. I try to be more understanding of her now.

      Delete
  5. Since this comment for Sherry came in after I replaced yesterday's post, I'm reprinting it here, as well as Sherry's reply:


    Janet has left a new comment on your post "A Welcome Day!":

    I have read that black elderberry syrup will kill a virus or protect against it. There are research papers to support this on the internet. A lot of people buy "Sambucol" and you can even get it at Walmart. I haven't tried it, but it may be worth pursuing especially as antibiotics are not able kill viruses.

    http://www.inl.asia/resources-main-navigation-bar/three-scientific-papers-on-sambucol-elderberry-extract-and-the-flu
    ---------------
    And here is Sherry's reply:

    Thank you so much. I’ll get some and see how it does.
    He’s coming home tomorrow and they say it’s no worry that I’m still coughing and have a fever since this is most assuredly a virus he gave to me.
    Hope they are right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother is a stickler for arriving on time too. I have no other choice as I do not want to upset her. The only exception was the ex-Uvalde doctor, since we had to wait anywhere from two to five hours to see him.

    I am always getting lost in San Antonio but have found Google maps to be a great help. I cut cereal boxes and use black markers and write in large letters to guide me to my destination since I have poor vision and can not afford to take my eyes off the road. They also have pictures of nearby landmarks and of the actual destination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I write out directions as well, but like your idea of using something like cardboard from a box and using a black marker.

      Is your Mother Spanish? I used to tease my Salvadoran husband about being on Spanish time. He was late for everything except his job!

      Delete
    2. My mother was born and raised in Mexico City. Her maternal grandfather was from Spain and her paternal grandfather was from France, both men married Mexican women and stayed in Mexico for the rest of their lives.

      Delete
  7. Mom takes thyroid medication as well and at least in her case, she does not seem to have side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason anything I take orally, including OTC's, really affects me negatively. It's not always like side effects, but just plain agony with my heart beating fast and then super slow, pains in my shoulders, etc.

      Delete