Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Looking Up1

I think maybe things are looking up a bit.  I spent the morning on the phone with Geico Ins., and was amazed at the policy I got from them.  As a former govt. employee who retired at a somewhat high grade, I got a very good deal.  Now to get that info to the DMV - they told me they send out the new cards to DMV on Saturdays, so I will just hang in there and hope things start going better for me.

It has been a gloomy, pouring-down-rainy sort of day - the kind that can have you down in the dumps!  This afternoon I decided I've had enough of this attitude, so Ara and I spent  about 30-40 min. at the gym and I attempted an attitude adjustment.  Things can only get better now.

Ara will start work on Monday, the day her boyfriend arrives for a week's vacation.  Too bad he couldn't have made it last week, but he loves biking and can find a lot of good places to ride in this area.

I got the blood work taken care of this morning.  The tech was so good I couldn't even feel the needle going in, and I complimented her on her expertise.  Then she darn near killed me taking the needle out!  I exaggerate, but it hurt coming out.  I'm glad that's over with and hope to see the results tomorrow.  The one good thing they always notice and remark on is how good my blood pressure is.  That's one thing to be thankful for.

The weather is getting a bit milder outdoors, and slightly warmer in my house although I still use the small heater when I'm sitting in the living room.

I'm starting to get emails on the National Parks and Forests, and places to camp.  Of course that has me dreaming, and I'd like to find a different place if I can.  I don't want anything too remote, but someplace I can feel comfortable in a tent.  I wish they didn't mix tents and RV's in the same locale, but I guess they will take whomever comes first and pays the fee.  I haven't done much camping in Nevada, but every place seems so empty, unless I stay closer to the Lake Tahoe area which I don't want to do.  Maybe I'll try Oregon, but not Crater Lake.  It's a beautiful place but one of the worst-run campgrounds I've ever been in (privately run).  One of these days I need to check my equipment as I know I've given a lot of it away.

I'm sure I'm not the only one dreaming of spring right now, and getting into the great outdoors.  I'd love to hear from those of you who have started thinking about it and planning.


 

10 comments:

  1. I've had GEICO for many years and their premiums are reasonable and they are reliable. Some Red River rats got into our car and ate the wires and it was insured for that. They sent a tow truck way out where we live to take it to town (which is 40 miles away). I keep getting calls from other insurance companies who say they can save me money over what I am paying now and they have never been able to match it. Maybe this is because I am such a long time customer. Anyway, I think you will be happy with GEICO.

    Send some of that rain -- we are in a drought here in southern Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm going to be pleased with GEICO, and don't know why I didn't look into them sooner.

      I knew parts of CA were still in drought. What a shame because I'd send you everything we've received this past week. I'm tired of hearing it hit the roof, the streets, etc., although I am grateful for the farmers' sake.

      Delete
  2. I think I am going to look into some new ins. too. I have been with State Farm for years and have never had and accident but my rates keep rising.

    Camping is on my mind big time. I need to go thru my gear too and still need to find someone to build a bed for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a decent sleeping bag so that's what I will use, plus a big 4-person Big Agnes tent. It was nice and spacious when I had the dog, but probably more than I need now.

      If I were you I'd give Geico Ins. a try and see what they can insure you for.

      Delete
  3. I dream of camping all the time, however here in Del Rio we hit 88 yesterday and it was in the high 70's today (we had a cold front) and I have this terrible fear of snakes.

    If I want to go camping I need to do so in February because come March...the heat will take over and I will once again have to wait until late October or early November (Chili Cook-off time) to have an opportunity to do so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 88 is pretty warm. Does it cool off at night? That is the one positive thing here - usually even when it gets hot in the daytime it cools off in the early evening and lasts until late morning.

      I'm not sure if I'll go to NY in May or June or I would start planning a camping trip then. I just don't want to be in a campground around one of the national holidays.

      Delete
    2. During winter we usually have a few days in the 90's but it does cool off at night. Sadly that is not the case during the summer months.

      I had no idea you were planning a trip to New York...that is a long drive!

      Delete
    3. I love that drive across northern part of the country but it costs a lot of money. I would probably fly, which I don't look forward to because I have about 15 min. to run between 3 terminals in Chicago airport on the trip to NY, and a 5 hour wait on the way back. It's a really stressful trip.

      Delete
  4. I didn't know you were looking for insurance or I would have recommended Geico too. I must have missed that post somehow. I'd like to get emails from the National Parks and Forests. Who sends them to you? All I ever get is junk in my email. I agree that tenters should have their own loop. Sadly it seems like there are fewer and fewer tent campers and more and more RVers. I know I'm surely not one to talk as a former tent camper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on all kinds of lists for parks and forests. Next time I get an email I'll forward you a link. I've really become disillusioned with the Park Service and probably Forests is the same way. The upper echelon does not support or worry at all about their rank & file employees or their volunteers. They can do a CYA thing so fast when the need arises, and I don't trust them to have even the campers' best interests at heart, just their own.

      Delete