Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, February 5, 2017

Miss Snappy

Ara had the girls stay overnight at her house to give Jeannie & Donald a break.  Arianna brought along "Miss Snappy", the class pet, a turtle.  One of the maintenance men found it a year or so ago trying to cross the street, picked it up and gave it to one of the teachers.  Most of the classes have a pet which they can bring home for a weekend.  I believe Autumn was the one who brought the crayfish, and ended up keeping him over the summer and I guess he's hers now.  It has grown to be huge, and even got out of the big aquariuum they bought for him - they found him under the couch!

Here is a photo of Miss Snappy (click to enlarge)




It's a wonder she is still alive - Arianna handles her constantly, turning her over, putting her in the doll bed, etc.  I think the doll bed idea wasn't such a good one as the turtle soiled it :-)  Now she is pretty much confined to the big tub they keep her in when Arianna isn't holding her.

Ara sent me a picture this morning of the girls.  They all slept on the fold-out couch, and Arianna must have kicked Ara throughout the night.  We had a good laugh about having kids crawl in the bed with us and sleeping in our parents' bed when we were kids.  

My husband and I slept in a double bed and by morning we had 4 kids with us wherever they could find a space.  Those memories are so precious to me and can never be matched.  My husband hated it but I loved every minute of the closeness.  And I love it when I hear my kids complain about the interruption of their own sleep now when their kids climb in bed with them during the night.  I just laugh and tell them, "What goes around, comes around".  It's ironic that some of the best memories are the ones that could have driven you crazy when they were happening!

I'm on my way to Ara's now - we will do the gym and then the NYT puzzle.  Love those kinds of Sundays.

 

7 comments:

  1. I thought it was pretty funny since he didn't mention any of his own sterling qualities. Blogger has made it so much easier to remove all trace of unwanted blog comments, and I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun with the kids. How sweet of her to keep the girls and give the parents a break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying to work out a deal where we will both stay at Jeannie's house for a week in Nov & take care of the kids. My youngest son, Joe, will turn 40 and he and his wife are going to some Carribean island for a week. They have invited the family to join them, and I'd love to see Jeannie & Donald get to go. I might be tearing my hair out by the end of the week!

      Delete
  3. Yes, what goes around cones around they say. Such wonderful memories for you and one day for them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the older I get I seem to remember only the good things in the past when it comes to my kids. All the grief and worries are forgotten. But of course, now I have adult-type grief and worries!

      Delete
  4. Bonding with her sisters while at the same time giving Jeannie and Donald a break is a win-win situation for all.

    Arianna may have Miss Snappy for a while, you brought to mind a neighbor when I was a child. This lady who I guess must have been around 50 and her elderly dad lived next door and she had a turtle that she had had since she was about Arianna's age.

    I am catching up on your blog but did not want to commment on previous entries, so I will write it here...I am so jealouse you got to eat at Chipotle's, then had Donald's burgers that evening followed by tortolini soup the following day. Would you believe I have never tasted tortolini soup (may have misspelled it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to spell it either. I'm going to buy some more at Costco today - tortellini is the best tasting stuff I've ever eaten. It's like a cheese ravioli, only better. The kind we got has 5 different cheeses in it, but it isn't overpowering, just delicious.

      I'm a little concerned about Miss Snappy - I thought turtles and those kinds of animals carried diseases. Handwashing isn't a priority with young kids!

      Delete