Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, August 31, 2016

A new toy

I bought myself something I've been wanting for a long time - a Waterpik water flosser.  I got it yesterday at Best Buy, plugged it in to recharge it overnight, and tried using it this morning.  I followed all instructions to the letter but I still got water everywhere!  There wasn't a dry spot left.

I had one of those devices in the 1970's and it didn't seem to do that.  I think now and then one of my kids, probably my oldest,  would take a shot at the others  and I'd find water all over, but I never caught them in the act.  (Mike, my oldest, got by with a lot because he was somehow able to rarely get caught)   I'm not giving up on the water flosser and am determined to make it work!

I got ice cream today - Skinny Cow brand, although I'm not fond of the idea of low-fat ice cream.  I wondered "how bad can it be".  I wouldn't call it bad, but it isn't good ice cream.  It will suffice though through the two boxes I bought, but I'll probably have to treat myself to Haagen Dazs ice cream bars next time.  When I looked at the total carbs and sugar in some of the better brands I nearly fell over.

I've read Jo Wishnie's blog to the end of their Alaskan journey and at the point of them crossing back into Canada.  I noticed that in photos of Jo the last 2 or 3 days there is a sadness in her eyes.  I really think she hated to leave and i can surely understand that feeling.  I really want to go back some day, but the odds are against it, and that may have been the way she felt.  I'm so glad I decided to go back and read the blog again, especially so soon after my own trip.  I had a much different experience - much less time in Alaska, and not a lot of my own choices of what to see and do.  I really didn't want to make the choices at my stage of the game though - my son and his family paid for the trip and I was just happy to go along with whatever they wanted to do, they had two young daughters with them, and our hostess made some very good choices of things to do and see.  For me it was like a family vacation.  

I notice the 5 day forecast for my area calls for temps in the 80's.  That sounds good to me and hope we won't have much more of the sizzling heat, although Sacramento isn't finished with summer yet, I'm sure.  The sunsets have been gorgeous lately - a most beautiful color of blue sky overlaid with the red, orange and gold streaks, plus some very dark clouds overhead.  I don't know what's in those dark clouds - it certainly isn't rain.

Now I'm going to start on the Wishnie's journey through Canada.  That is an incredible trip in itself!

 

7 comments:

  1. Walmart brand... salted caramel truffle ice cream... I am addicted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely shop at Walmart although I keep a list of things to look at for every store in the area, just in case. I will add the ice cream - sounds good. What I love as much as anything is Kirkland brand (Costco) vanilla ice cream. It comes as 2 half-gallons packaged together, and that is a lot of ice cream. I have no self control once I start eating it!

      Delete
  2. We met Jo and Fred Wishnie one time years ago at a little eatery called Margies in the shadow of the Chiricahua Mountains about an hours drive southeast of Tucson Arizona. It was while we were Ranch Sitting in nearby McNeil. Really nice folks for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to meet them, but I followed their blog for several years. They seem so nice, their photography is great, and Jo is a very good writer. They certainly traveled far and wide!

      Delete
  3. Wish we had the Skinny Cow brand. In the Del Rio Walmart we only have one brand of diet ice cream...Blue Bunny (no sugar added).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonder how they come up with brand names - Blue Bunny, Skinny Cow, etc. The Skinny Cow is cold and it is refreshing on a hot day, but it sure isn't ice cream! I remember the old days when they would make ice cream by hand at family gathrings, with an old hand crank to turn the paddle. Now that was ice cream, probably 500 cal. a serving!

      Delete
  4. Love my waterpix, use it whenever I am too lazy to floss:)

    ReplyDelete