Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, August 14, 2016

Odds n Ends

In looking over the photos on my camera I came across some I hadn't included with the relevant post.  You may remember I mentioned a pool party at Joe's house before we went to Alaska, and the cupcake contest held that day.    (Click photo to enlarge)





The kids did the judging and the last photo shows the gathering of the judges and the entries.  I sure can't remember which cupcake was the winner but they were all good.

On another note, I bought a new hummingbird feeder - the old one was leaking and when I noticed the slow drip I took it down.  I filled and hung the new one yesterday but didn't see any visitors until just now, mid-day on Sunday.  A little birdie drank like he just couldn't get his fill.  I'm so happy to see them back again.

I looked several places for a bird bath and simple bird feeder, but I think the stores are probably getting ready to set out Halloween items (Costco has already done just that), and it won't be long before the crazy Christmas retailing season.  This is mid August and I think I should be able to find a bird bath, but I haven't checked Lowe's yet.  I hesitate to get a feeder because in the past I've had so many problem with squirrels eating all the bird seed, and I won't feed squirrels!  I also want to hang the feeder where it won't draw the feral cats in the neighborhood.  I hate those things, especially when I find where one has taken a bird inside the mobile home skirting to finish it off.  I know nature is what it is, but I am not going to enable it if I can help it.  Sorry to the feral cat lovers who may read this.

All is set for my initial art class tomorrow.  I'm taking Autumn, my granddaughter, as I think she will get a lot out of the class.  She is an excellent artist for her age, and her style is bold and confident.  I can't wait to see how she does.  The first week in September come my two classes in Landscape Painting and Seascape Painting, by the end of which I should know if I should continue or not.  I am sure about my lack of talent, but if I enjoy myself then it might be worth it to continue.

I think the sunsets have been weird lately - there is a brilliant golden red ball descending below the horizon, but no streaks or color in the sky at all.  Just the sun setting.  Maybe that is common enough but I've never noticed it before.

Later:  I just spent the afternoon with Jeannie & her 2 girls, walking around Target with the lists of their school supplies needed.  It was fun to see the reactions of different parents and their kids.

12 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I paint because I like to paint. Then I throw them away. Lack of ability has no business getting in the way of painting for the joy of painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe you've shown some of your work on your blog in the past, and you are way better than I am. I am not kidding myself, but I want to learn something and have fun. Also I want to help my granddaughters to learn a thing or two about it.

      Delete
  3. I love all the cup cakes and especially the ones that look like hamburgers they are just to cute.

    I took my hummer feeders down as I had not seen one in a long time and the syrup just kept getting throw away because of the heat. I found one half eaten bird on my porch and a few days later a lot of feathers in the yard, when I went back there I almost stepped on the head. Gross! We have had problems with feral cats before but the mass feather pile could have been a hawks kill.

    Hope you have a great time at the art class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could forgive a hawk much easier than a cat.

      As long as I see one hummer at the feeder I'll keep it out there. The weather is so hot that I think I need to wash and refill it more often.

      Delete
  4. Paint for yourself. Enjoy the process and let the outcome be what ever it is going to be. I have been getting the urge to paint something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really excited about it, especially since I have decided I'm not going to be the next Grandma Moses, but just have fun doing it.

      Delete
  5. I only paint if it is one of those wine and brush events:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if I would paint better if I had a glass or two of wine.

      Delete
  6. I really do think art is like music, we all have talent and can be trained. Some have more natural talent and the training is easier for them than those of us with not so much natural talent but don't tell yourself you aren't any good before you even start. I'm anxious to see some of your great art. I sure am sorry I didn't get to be at that cupcake eating event. That is a LOT of cupcakes. There must be dozens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know myself well enough to be realistic about that particular talent. I'm not going to worry about talent this time though, and will concentrate on learning techniques and having a good time trying it out. One of these days I may post a picture of the one I did in Alaska plus some that I do here.

      There were dozens and dozens of cupcakes, but after all the food that was set out I sure didn't have room for even one cupcake!

      Delete
  7. Those cupcakes look absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete