Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, August 7, 2016

Animal farms

We visited a musk ox farm and were given a tour that was fascinating.  I had never seen this animal up close - it really isn't an ox, but a goat.   Their underwool is 8 times warmer than sheep's wool, and the Native peoples have exclusive rights to weave and sell it.  There were many items on display that were so soft and warm, and incredibly expensive!   The wool is called quiviut (ki'-vee-ut).

Click on a picture to enlarge.





The musk ox is a beautiful animal and seems to be very gentle.  The red buildings in the background are where people stay who come to help with their care.

Next we went to a reindeer farm.




This new baby and his mom were so cute.  I think he isn't more than a day old. 

There were also other animals that the kids enjoyed - the chickens and the hog.  I note that I have a couple of photos I could call "The End", but that is Judy's (Bird Lady) thing.




 The reindeer are in a huge pen, and next to them is Dolly, the bison. The guide told us that Dolly is very gentle as she has never been around animals other than reindeer and considers herself one of them.






I don't want to bore anyone with too many photos, so please allow me to continue with the reindeer in tomorrow's post.

Another word about the weather in Alaska.   It was mostly in the 60's which was wonderful after the triple digits in Sacramento.  I wore my fleece jacket much of the first few days and was very comfortable.  The rain is sporadic - off and on - and was never very heavy.  When the sun came out it was the most glorious sight, and everything took on a new look.  I find a similar experience in Sacramento during the rainy season (of which we don't have many these days).  The rain is needed and welcome, but if the sun comes out it is a gift, if only a brief view.

Speaking of weather, my son Mike told me they left Sacramento at 109F and arrived in Monterey a couple hours later where it was 59F!   What a change.

I'll post again tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Gypsy I think one of the animal pictures would make a great header. Please continue with a narrative of your experiences. I'll never get to Alaska so I need to see it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never say never. I didn't think I would ever get there, but my kids knew I wanted to bet my 50th state! I've loved all the states I have been in, but this one is unique!

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying reading about your adventures in Alaska.

    Note: You can get qiviut yarn at places like this - http://www.muskoxfarm.org/#!musk-ox-farm-qiviut/r1do7 OR http://www.bijoubasinranch.com/100-qiviut-lace-1/
    The stuff is too expensive for me to ever be able to buy, but I would love to fondly a skein of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember that the cost of items made with quviut were extremely expensive. It is so warm and lightweight, that if I lived in a frigid climate I would go for it.

      Delete
  3. My son had a work assignment in Alaska way up on the north shore. There were a lot of polar bears up there and they didn't know what humans were and just figured they were another source of food. Every time he had to leave the compound, he was accompanied by an armed guard. Also, Russia was directly across the water from where he was. It was the closest place where the U.S. is to Russia. He is glad to be back home, now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see more areas in Alaska. As it was, we were in just a small part of it,, and it's gorgeous!

      Delete
  4. I am enjoying your Alaska posts. For some silly reason I am amazed that it is so green but I guess it would be since it is summer!

    The critters look so happy and comfy in their surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's green but then you can see snow and ice on top of some of the surrounding mountains.

      Delete
  5. W








































































    WOW 109 to 59, now that's a real but pleasant shocker. Still I'd rather be in Alaska. Sounds like you are having such a good time.







    WOW!! 109 to 59 that's a huge and happy change in the weather. But Alaska sounds better to me than either

    ReplyDelete
  6. We visited the Musk Ox Farm a few days after you did. It was an interesting tour and I indulged in an ounce of the yarn to make myself something REALLY REALLY special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved watching the musk ox - their eyes are so expressive. I would love to see what you make with the yarn. It is so wildly expensive I don't think I could even afford a small bit of it. The tour guide let us feel her neck warmer that was made from quiviut and it was so soft and warm, unlike anything I've ever felt.

      Delete