Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Another good breakfast

I baked muffins for breakfast, using walnut flour, eggs, just a tad of sugar (I don't like honey or other syrupy substitutes for sugar), a few other ingredients, and a cup of fresh blueberries.  The walnut flour is grainier than the almond flour the recipe calls for, but I like the muffins and will use up what I have on hand.  This recipe makes 12 muffins and I ate half of them for breakfast - will warm the rest up tomorrow morning.

All I did today that I can remember is that I washed a load of towels and dried them on the line.  I have another laundry basket ready to go, but it can wait.

I'm still reading Fred and Jo's blog of their trip to Alaska.  I was so anxious to get to the Alaska part that I started reading there and continued through their drive back through Canada.  Now I'm catching up on the border to Alaska section of the trip.  I think I would like to see the Canadian Rockies myself one of these days.  In fact, I've been looking up info and what I can find on my maps.  I recently got rid of nearly all my AAA maps - they were getting old anyway - and I debate getting a whole new set now.  Even if I don't use them on trips it is fun looking at them and seeing the detail, planning how I would drive from one point to anothr, etc.

So I've been doing a little daydreaming.  What if I would drive next spring from Sacramento up to Glacier National Park, and from there to Banff or nearby site in Canada.  I could do it if I made myself find camping spots along the way instead of paying for motels each night.  Of course if it is raining then I'm glad to get a motel room!

I think I would prefer going in the spring although the weather that far north can be so unpredictable.  So alternately, I could drive to NY in spring, stay 2 or 3 weeks, and then return by a very northerly U.S. route with a little "jog" north into Canada.  I had once planned to drive from Duluth up Lake Superior, into Canada and around and down into Michigan, but illness from some meds that had been prescribed to me made me have to cancel those plans.  Also, I'm not sure if I can compare campgrounds in the U.S. to those in Canada.  A campground is a campground, eh?  But maybe it is the manner in which they describe them that confuses me.  I would definitely do tent camping, not RVing, and would prefer to be in tent-only campgrounds.  I would welcome comments and suggestions from anyone who has info on camping in Canada.

This is what I do periodically when I get antsy for the open road.  I know that open road is slowly closing for me, so I have this strong feeling that I should do it while I can (and if I can).  As I have mentioned before, driving is the one thing that doesn't bother me as much, sight-wise, except I CANNOT do interstates any more.  I can't turn my head quick enough to merge in or out of a lane, for one thing , as I require more time to get oriented and by then traffic is whizzing around me.  I also CANNOT do cities, the size of which are almost always located on an interstate.  The traffic and looking for signs while keeping an eye out for everything around me, is just too much any more.  Little towns out in the sticks are great though!

The photos on the Wishnie's blog are superb and if you see the camera equipment he operates with you can understand why.  They are avid birders and I know many of my readers also love to see, identify and photograph birds, so you may want to check out Fred & Jo's.   I love to see birds but can no longer look through binoculars or at least not as quickly focus on them as I should.  When I lived in NC I could tell you every bird that passed through Asheville (with a stop at my bird feeder), and I loved being able to identify them.  Now I can't do it, and my memory fails me as well, so I am content to just look at a beautiful bird and admire it's glory!  But I get my "fix" when I see bird photos on your blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment