Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 8, 2016

Reindeer

There are pretty many reindeer in the large pens, and at one point we were allowed to go in with them.  We were warned to not touch their antlers as they are very sensitive.  The antlers brushed us as they crowded around.  Everyone was given a small margarine size cup full of pellets to feed the deer.   You pour a few into your hand and when a deer nudges up to get it you put your hand with the pellets into his mouth.  They can't bite as the teeth they have are far back in their mouths.  It's a weird sensation to say the least.

Deer come up to you to look for food and then, being somewhat fickle, they go on to what they think are greener pastures.  Deer are always softly bumping you to get more pellets.  It was fun, a little strange, but a great experience.








The bunny is in the wrong sequence as are the horses.  I don't like rabbits so I wouldn't touch one, although kids enjoyed it.  The horses were waiting for a scheduled trail ride, and it seems like I have more "The End" photos.

These two are taken in the pen, but I couldn't hold my camera when all the animals were surrounding me looking for food, so I didn't get any good "action" photos.







Another day we went to a good location to ride the ATV's.  The first group went out and I stayed behind with a few others, just enjoying the scenery, having just about decided I didn't want to ride.   When they came back Joe asked me if I wanted him to take me out.  I told him only if he didn't drive fast or reckless, and he promised.  He was as good as his word.  After a short time out I told him I was ready to go back.  I'm glad I can say I've been on an ATV, but don't think I'll repeat it.   Too noisy, bumpy, and the terrain was more rugged than I liked.  The rest of them rode all the way out to a glacier but I didn't go nearly that far.


Someone got a photo of Joe and me on the ATV but I haven't seen it yet.




Pam had packed a nice lunch and we enjoyed sitting by the river eating and wondering if there were fish to be caught.  That was the topic of discussion with every body of water, large and small, that we encountered.

Tomorrow I am determined to get back to walking on the treadmill.  I'd like to rouse up enough energy to walk around the Park in the evening as well.  I know I have heart disease and am noticing a couple of signs of it, and walking is the best thing I can do for it according to what several doctors have told me.  It's a habit I need to get back in to.

 

10 comments:

  1. Great pictures and what a wonderful experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had experiences I couldn''t have gotten anywhere else.

      Delete
  2. I bet you had a wonderful time, for sure. Great pictures, I enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I really did enjoy my trip. The personal part of it was fun as well - I think I mentioned that our hosts have a family that is constantly in and out of their house. Several of their grandchildren went with us on the ATV ride, and family activities are fun to me.

      Delete
  3. I don't like ATVs. They are too noisy and tear up the Earth all over. According to the Cleveland Clinic research, you can reverse heart disease by removing oil from your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like ATVs. They are too noisy and tear up the Earth all over. According to the Cleveland Clinic research, you can reverse heart disease by removing oil from your diet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived long enough to have heard advice to remove one thing or another from your diet, only to have the "experts" come back 10 years later and say, "Oh wait, that's good for you". I pretty much stick to the same diet I've eaten for years. I usually use olive oil when baking fish, etc., but I've started to use butter and it tastes better.

      Delete
  5. I would love to be bumped by reindeer. What a great time. I'm not a fan of ATV's either. When I was younger and the body didn't ache so much they were okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very sweet, beautiful, and gentle animals. I've never cared for "off-roading" in any kind of vehicle but I'm glad I tried the ATV for just a short trip.

      Delete
  6. What a fun filled vacation you had. I have never been up close and personal with a deer or bunny but I am always up for a new experience.

    Nice pictures.

    ReplyDelete