Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Slow Saturday

As usual I awoke way too early this morning and decided to stay up.  I like to have a leisurely breakfast and enjoy my coffee in the early hours.  

I started to tackle the cleaning of the laminate floors, which I do on my hands and knees.  I have a study foam pad of approx. 12" x 14" that I kneel on, and raise myself up a bit on my hands, and then sort of "scoot" the pad when I need to do a new section of the floor.  I know there has to be an easier way but would probably require buying some type of mop or device that I don't have room to store anyway.  I don't intend to do this very often.

This morning's effort required moving a huge recliner to the other side of the room, and also to move the HEAVY coffee table off the area rug it is on so I could vacuum the rug and pick up the crayon pieces that were under the table.  When everything dried of course I have to move it back!  Now I have a little more than half the room to clean and I just don't know if I want to start it this afternoon.  I took time off for lunch and a nap, and my momentum is completely gone now.

I wanted to look up a medical condition on Google, so after I checked out a couple of sites I went to delete the history of visiting them.  I can't believe how many unwanted records are there - anytime I click on history I see a complete record of everything I've done on the computer, including writing my blog, reading blogs, etc.  Now I check it several times a day and delete eerything but the bare minimum.

Worse than History, is Privacy, specifically cookies.  I had cleared all the unwanted cookies but after checking the medical info I wanted to look at and then going into cookies, I found some for Facebook and quite a few other social media sites, plus some I don't have a clue why they are there.  So now I'm going through them several times a day and deleting the cookies I don't want.  Do you know when you read my blog you leave a cookie on my system, as I am sure I leave cookies on yours.  Those aren't a problem to me although I delete them when I see them, but I'd just like to know WHY are they even there!  I wonder who has access to them besides me.  I know someone else must be able to find them or why would they even be there in the first place, certainly not for my benefit.  And if stuff on my computer isn't there for my benefit, then whose?

It's not quite as hot today, "just" 81 at 2:30 but going up to 91 before it starts the downward descent to the low of 59 tonight.  We should be hanging around the 92 mark for a few days, and I am looking forward to when the normal daytime temperature is in the area of 72!

I'm going to get the mail in and then return to my floor cleaning job.  The sooner I get it over with the better I will feel.

 

12 comments:

  1. I run a free program regularly to clean my computer called ccleaner. Been using it for years. Clears all the trash away and will also check your registry for left over junk after updates and makes repairs if needed. So far, I have never had a problem with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't figured out an easy way yet to do what I want to do, and that is, get rid of most of the history but leaving a few important ones, and the same with cookies. I suppose I should have something that deals with other stuff that collects on a computer and slows it down.

      Delete
  2. Like Chuck I had CCleaner on my old laptop that the computer tech at the local library installed to try to speed up the old thing.

    With this new computer I do not know what I am doing :-(

    Congratulations on tackling the floor on a weekend. I woke up so early today that I have no energy to do anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I probably have the most difficult part to do tomorrow as I have to move things. I didn't move the couch - just reached as far as I could to come up with dusty crayons!

      I'm not really worried about the speed of my computer because it runs faster than I do! I just would like to know why all these cookies are left on my computer, and how they are used. And I don't trust that my history can't be hacked into, or the cookies. It's not knowing and the fact that they are surreptitiously left on my computer that makes me angry

      Don't worry, I have an old computer and still don't always know what I am doing!

      Delete
    2. CClean removed a lot of old files, cookies and everyday junk that one picks up just surfing on the internet. The first time it took a long time to complete, like 40 minutes. After that if I did it after every daily session and it went faster. Because it removes so much unwanted stuff my computer ended up with improved performance. It is a great tool and free to boot or at least it was for me since the computer tech installed it.

      Delete
    3. I might check it out. The only drawback I can see is that I want to know exactly what is being removed. All I know about are the cookies and history, but I'm sure there are other things I couldn't even imagine. I'd like to know what they are before they get deleted. Does CClean give you any idea?

      Delete
  3. There are things you can put under furniture legs to move them. I put some under my double recliner sofa. I was able to move it easily and it is heavy. They are called Super Sliders and I think I got them at either Home Depot or Lowe's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to go to Lowe's soon - I think they still are carrying bird baths and I've looked all over for one. While there I will look for the Super Sliders. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  4. I love getting up early when everything is quiet and the birds are singing. I always have a better day when I do. You are so ambitious with your cleaning. Now is when you need Rick Doyle to give you the answers to all your questions about why and who can see what. Thanks to your commenters for the cclean. I'm going to use it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm more likely to hear little dogs barking in the morning than little birdies, but I still like being up early.

      I use AdBlock so I don't see ads on my screen - sometimes there will be a big blank space that would have been an ad. But I think every page I go to that has ads places their cookies on my computer whether I can see them or not. And you know how every article ends with "Share on FB, Twitter, Etc."? I think that is why I get those cookies on my computer. I don't think I have any way around them except to keep deleting them as I visit a web site.

      Delete
  5. Next time someone sends you cookies, tell them to make them chocolate chip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd sure do that if I could - they are my favorite kind!

      Delete