Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 29, 2016

Reading an old blog

I'm referring to the blog that inspired me to travel full-time in an RV with the hopes of eventually driving to Alaska.  Of course, that never happened, but I decided I want to re-read Fred & Jo Wishnie's blog, 

http://www.mytripjournal.com/MTJ/WebObjects/MyTripJournal.woa/1/wa/mapclick?index=128&tid=13250&page=0

Their blog is written in a different format than is Blogger, but it's easy enough to maneuver.  I selected a place to begin shortly before they crossed the border from Canada into Alaska.   They covered much more of Alaska than my 10 days in the state, and of course they were younger then and had more energy to get around, so their blog is the most informative and interesting when it comes to Alaska as far as I'm concerned.   I look forward to some good reading, and hope that some of you will enjoy it as well.  It can't easily be read in one "go", so I will bookmark my stopping places along the way.

In just the first few posts of the Wishnie's trip to Alaska they ran into road work, delays, etc., mostly because the extreme winters cause upheaval to the roadways and pavement.  These delays are a certainty and happen through Canada to Alaska, from what I saw in the several Alaskan blogs I read.  That was one reason (among many) that I realized I had no business hauling a 34' 5th wheel on that long arduous trip, alone.

I got an email from Jeannie asking if I would like to go to the gym this evening, and the answer is a resounding YES!  I have been pretty faithful about walking at least 6 days a week, but it's been well over a month since I've worked out.  I need to get back to it and welcome the chance to go tonight.

I'm debating a trip to Costco, but since I will go to the gym late this afternoon I think I will postpone the Costco trip until tomorrow.  I'm out of beer, but that's no biggie and I will do without it until then.  I have some bottles of IPA on hand for when Steve or Joe visit, but I can't stand that stuff and would rather drink water!

10 comments:

  1. What a compliment for the writers of said blog to have been an inspiration in wanting to visit Canada and Alaska.

    Excuse my ignorance but what is IPA?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it stands for India Pale Ale. It has a very strong flavor that I don't care for. I love a golden ale, or a blonde ale, or a lager or a pilsner, but not the IPA!

      Delete
  2. I'll have to read this blog. I love anything Alaska. Thanks for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying reading it because my memories of Alaska are so fresh in my mind, and I've been to some of the places they mention. I don't think I would ever like to go back in a big RV though - driving is one thing, and even tent camping I could do occasionally depending on the weather, but no RV. It's funny how a person changes over time. Also, there are things that definitely interest me such as wildlife exhibits and such, but "old" antiques? Those things are probably no older than I am, and while I might enjoy seeing something I remember from childhood I don't want to walk through a museum of old crap! I guess I belong in a museum?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the link. What are they up to now? I'm always amazed at how you like the gym. I went, it was good for me, but I never "liked" it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last I read their blog they had sold their RV and moved into a house, in Arizona I think. After I finish the Alaska entries I plan to go back and get updated on what they are doing now.

      I absolutely love going to the gym. Sometimes it's a drag when I just go to walk but I'm always glad I did. Last night I got a good (for me) workout and thought I'd feel sore today but I don't. I think the walking is helping with the swelling of my ankles - that scared me into walking more but I still need to not spend so much time sitting.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link. What are they up to now? I'm always amazed at how you like the gym. I went, it was good for me, but I never "liked" it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Martha. Thank you so much for your kind words about our blog. It was definitely the highligh t of our 9 years on the road. I so wish we could go there and do it again. It is just that awesome. I am so thankful for all the years I blogged so that we have all those memories to look back on. Not just Alaska, but so very many places we visited, and things we got to see.

    You are right. We did sell the RV early last year and have settled in Tucson. We have a small townhome and are very much enjoying the community of Tucson. Since settling down here, we have gotten involved in Pima Animal Care Center, the county animal shelter, volunteering there several days a week. After having just one dog, our dear Boo Boo, we now have THREE rescued shelter dogs at home as well. Life is not boring, that's for sure. We do miss the travel, but in a nostalgic way. We definitely don't have the energy to do it anymore. But there is indeed life after RVing. Thanks again for sharing the link to our blog. Hope your readers enjoy it.

    Jo Wishnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jo, thank you so much for writing. I thought you were in AZ but intend to go back and read your last few blogs when I finish with Alaska. I don't think I even had an RV when I first read your blog, and it definitely was one of the thing that made me want to travel in that style. It's been a long while but I finally made it AK thanks to my kids; as I'm getting older I was content to just go with the flow and do whatever the others wanted to do. So I didn't get to Homer or Hope, but that is an incentive to return!

      Thank you so much for contributing something so special to my life, and I'm sure others have been inspired as well. By the way, I think yours is one of the best written blogs, and the photography is superb.

      Delete
    2. You're welcome. I am so happy I could be your inspiration. We wanted anyone and everyone to know the joy of that lifestyle. It still warms my heart when people tell me that they summoned the courage to do what we were doing because of something they read. May you have many more years of adventure ahead of you. Enjoy.

      Delete