Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Win some, lose some!

Yesterday was a very good day.  Everything seemed to go well, but that didn't mean that I was on a roll!  This morning my iCalendar told me I had an appointment to get my hair cut, so I was out the door at about 10:15.  I took the 50-Freeway as I usually do, and traffic seemed to be heavier today but I made it with no problems.  When I arrived at the salon there was a sign on the door saying that they had moved a couple of miles away, still on Howe Avenue (one of the busiest streets in that area).  Many businesses in the Center were vacant and it looked like a major renovation was about to happen.

I wasn't sure how far down Howe avenue I had to go, but as it would be on my right, I didn't think I'd have too much trouble.   I finally found it, parked in a terribly crowded lot, and went into the salon.  My hairdresser came out to tell me that my appointment was tomorrow morning.  It wouldn't have bothered me so much, for one thing it was my error as to the date of my appointment, but I couldn't figure out why someone didn't call and say they had moved.

I drove home thinking about what to do - I certainly didn't want to think about driving over there in the traffic tomorrow morning, and decided by the time I arrived home that I wasn't going back.  I have no idea how to even begin finding a new hairdresser, but it will definitely be someone close to home.

Then I drove to Jesse's Neighborhood Garage to check a noise I've been hearing.  Someone told me that it sounded like a fan belt, so I wasn't too worried about something expensive - hahaha - I was told it was the A/C compressor, and I am looking at approx. $350 for the part.   So I will be driving with the windows open and the A/C off for a while.  When I moved to Sacramento in 1983 I drove a 1982 Toyota, with an after market a/c that didn't work all that well.  I never did like a/c so I just drove all over Central CA in the hot summers with the windows open.  I did it then and can do it now, although I don't look forward to it.  My remodeling definitely will take precedence.

So I'm going to deal with my hair being longer than I like it, and see if Jeannie will trim the front so I don't have hair in my eyes.  

A person can't always have great days, but most of mine are pretty good, so I have to take the downers as well.   I'm not happy about it though.

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Gypsy! Sorry about your downer day! Yes, the hair salon people could have told you that they had moved. About the A/C. Our grandaugher's A/C is having problems. The difference between driving with windows down years ago, and doing it now, is ----at least here in the DFW area --- the tremendously worse pollution. So many vehicles on the highways make it very difficult to breathe!! Too bad about the timing of that compressor breakdown!

    I don't think you do all that much driving anyway, though, and when you do, it isn't during peak times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right that I don't drive much any more, and when I do I like to drive in the morning. Sacramento's heat usually gets bad around Noon and the mornings are mostly cool.

      Delete
  2. I found a hair dresser right here in the park for only $8 a cut. (of course we all give her more) She actually listens to what you want and is only a two minutes golf cart drive away. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are really lucky to have someone so close, and especially so reasonable. I went online and found a couple who are near where I live and have favorable reviews, plus they don't charge premium prices. I won't try one of them until I get back though. I look and feel like a shaggy dog right now!

      Delete
  3. Don't blame you for wanting a closer hair dresser. Sorry about the AC. I don't think I could take the pollution or the noise of driving with my windows down but I certainly understand having priorities for what money we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like everyone else I get used to the modern comforts available. Sometimes I don't mind challenging myself to do it the old way, which is usually a lot more difficult or uncomfortable.

      Delete
  4. I think they should have called also to let you know they moved or when you made the appt they should have asked did you know we moved. And was she to busy to get you in since you were already there? No customer respect these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made the appointment at the time of my last haircut, and just wrote it down wrong in my calendar. I found the little appointment card and it indeed said Friday. I am unhappy they didn't call to let me know about the move. I was there about 5 or 6 weeks ago and I don't think anyone had an idea of a move. Many small shops had signs they had moved as well, so the tenants were probably not informed well in advance. There is renovation going on and maybe the rents were going to increase, so lots of businesses moved. It turns out to be a blessing in disguise for me though, as I don't like to drive all the way over there. The new place would probably be easier since I wouldn't take the freeway; I drive near there when I visit my eye surgeon, REI, etc., but usually try to stay closer to home these days if I'm in the driver's seat.

      Delete