Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Trip to Home Depot

Steve, Joe, and I went to Home Depot this morning and bought the tub, toilet, window, backerboard for the wall tile, and misc. items such as grouting.  They were doubtful about it fitting in my living room, but I moved a chair, coffee table, etc., and there is room for two more of everything.  (Click to enlarge)



It was fun spending time with them, and they did some other jobs for me such as getting the swamp cooler operational, trimming the deadly oleander bush, and such.

It looks like they will start the demolition of the old tub and wallboard, and window, and install the new while I'm gone.  I guess it's better for me to not be here.  The one thing we didn't get today was the sink/vanity top.   We will wait until I get back, and if the top can be removed without tearing up the vanity base, then all we need is the new sink top.  Otherwise, I might have to buy a whole new set, in which case I might as well go wider.  My current vanity is 30" wide whereas the space is 48"  I would prefer to go with the width in between the two.

I've begun to pack but still am not sure about what to take.   

It's been a fun day and even Mike got in on the action.  Steve was on top of the roof and needed some piece of equipment, but Joe and I were sitting on  the driveway talking and didn't hear him.  So he called Mike in NY, and Mike called Joe on my driveway, and the rest was brotherly, good-natured ribbing for the most part. 

I went to the gym last night, came home and ate an organic ice cream bar, drank a bottle of Sam Adams lager, and slept like a log all night.

Steve and I took a good look at the back yard while we were waiting for Joe to arrive, and he has some great ideas on how to redo the entire yard and rock that is currently there.  The space is absolutely of no use the way it is.  He proposed removing the rock and laying a foundation of crushed granite, then building boxes for gardening around one side and along the back fence.  I would like to plant a couple of lemon trees as well, and growing vegetables in containers sounds better to me than to have a big plot of ground devoted to gardening.  He also suggested putting up lattice along one side and planting something like jasmine, or even grapes or other vines.  In the end it will depend on how much money I have left over from trips to NY and Alaska, and the bathroom remodel. 

12 comments:

  1. Your living room is so light and airy. Yellow is so cheerful.

    I'm excited about your container garden plans. You will enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Janet. I love warm colors, red and yellow being my favorites.

      Steve is even talking about including a small composting bin, which would make me very happy. Almost all the food I buy is organic, so leaves, peelings, and parts I don't use, plus the pulp from juicing, can all go into compost rather than just into the garbage. I'm looking forward to seeing it all happen.

      Delete
  2. Those boys in your life sure are terrific!! You are going to have such a wonderful house when they get finished. We had 3 big compost bins when we were in full scale huge gardening and used those when we were in "production" with hundreds of tomatoes and tons of green beans etc. But we had a little compost bin that I bought on line for our daily scraps. It was great. You'd really like one and they aren't expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a really nice compost bin when I lived in North Carolina, but the bears finally ruined it and I quit trying.

      I wish I could do more to help with the remodeling, but I'll be lucky if I can paint the walls and ceiling. I just don't have the strength I used to have.

      Delete
  3. things are coming together for you know. Yes good idea to be gone for this reno. My cousin just had they're bathroom done and it is the only one. She had us laughig so hard about how she went from store to store or the gym so she could use the bathrooms. Her neighbor finally convinced the to use her house anytime. Even gave them the code to the alarm system and their daughter put them up for 2 nights in a hotel.
    The garden plans sound nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't too worried because the laundry building across the way has restrooms, and one of my sons say the bathrooms have showers. I figured I'd go to Jeannie's to shower, but in the long run I'll be out of their way and they can work at their own pace.

      Delete
  4. Make sure you post pictures of the finished upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When Jim remodeled our bathroom in Springfield, VA, Todd and I went to Montana to visit Grandma and Grandpa. Best decision ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to see that it will be better for me to be out of the way.

      Delete
  6. What a pleasant surprise you'll come home to!

    ReplyDelete