Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, April 10, 2016

Blueberry Muffins! + Update

One of the vendors at yesterday's market sells walnuts, and I saw that he had bags of walnut meal as well.  I thought of the recipe I found for muffins using almond flour, and figured I would try it with walnut flour.  I don't have honey, stevia, or maple syrup on hand, so I just used 1/4 cup of sugar.  I thawed out a cup of blueberries, and mixed the batter in late afternoon.  Out of 12 muffins I ate 5 of them while they were still warm.  I've had one this morning and I'm sure there won't be many left by the time I go to bed.  The texture and flavor aren't like the blueberry muffins made with white flour, but has a definite nutty taste.  I used half the bag (2 cups) of walnut meal/flour, so I will be able to make another batch soon.

One thing I don't understand is that the recipe calls for 2 eggs, plus an additional 2 egg whites.  I followed the instructions and can throw the leftover yolks into an omelet or scrambled eggs, but wonder what would be the difference if I just used 4 whole eggs.  The batter would be a little looser, but other than that I'm not sure what would happen.

I mentioned yesterday that I saw the space shuttle when I was at a SAC Air Force Base in Omaha back in 1986 or so.  In going through my photos I found this.  (Click on photo to enlarge).


I actually have 3 different photos and thought I moved them from my iMac to a thumb drive, but can't find the other two.  This shows the shuttle pretty well though.  I think it's the same one that exploded several years later.

Rain today off and on, but I think I will try to get over to Michael's to see their photo storage boxes.

I've heard a lot lately, mostly on YouTube, of the benefits of drinking a glass of lemon water every morning.  I decided to try it after watching a video called "The 28 day Challenge".  Every morning while my coffee is brewing I pour filtered water into a glass, pour half of that into my electric kettle, squeeze the juice from half a lemon into the glass, and as soon as the kettle starts making noise I pour the hot water into the cold water/lemon.  I have it down so that the glass is full of comfortably warm lemon water.

According to the video there are many benefits to this practice, including improved digestion, and of course, weight loss.  Everything recommended in this country stresses weight loss, so I decided I would take this challenge for 28 days and monitor my weight so that I can quit immediately if I start losing weight.  I think I've probably been drinking this stuff for about 10 days and think I weigh the same, but I've noticed I don't have the leg and foot cramps I was plagued with, and I seem to get less indigestion.  It's worth it for the leg cramps alone, so I will continue at least until I leave for NY later this month.

A while back my chiropractor recommended drinking a glass of warm water first thing in the morning, and I find it to be much more palatable with the lemon.  If anyone is interested in this video which is only about 2 minutes in length, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-jSMNd-rVo

A week or so ago Carolyn (Am I Going Someplace) updated her blog and mentioned drinking lemon water every morning.  I might just write her and ask what benefits she has noticed, and will post them in my blog.

You'd think I'd be so damn healthy with all my attention to this stuff, but I wish I'd find something to get rid of belly fat.  I never had it until my gallbladder was removed, followed a couple months later by an umbilical hernia repair.  I don't actually worry too much about it - at my age I am what I am and don't bother trying to cover up the flaws - but this is one area that I'd like to improve.

UPDATE:
After wracking my brain trying to remember the name of the AFB in Omaha I looked it up.  Offutt AFB, and I wasn't even close to remembering it.  I don't know if it is still an AFB or if any part or all of it has been decommissioned. 

13 comments:

  1. Don't drink too much of that lemon juice. . . It may turn you into a sour puss (grin).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I sure don't want to be known as a sourpuss!

      Delete
  2. When I was researching cancer prevention a couple of years ago, there was a mention to drinking water with baking soda first thing in the morning at least an hour before eating.

    When I did the research in Spanish it said that if you add some lemon juice it would have better results do not remember why.

    If I could lose some weight that would be great but so far with the baking soda, I have yet to drop an ounce :(

    If you find anything for belly fat (besides exercise) PLEASE post it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard about baking soda and water, but mostly for indigestion. I'll have to take a further look. I didn't mention it in my post today, but I think the lemon water also detoxifies the liver, and removes toxins from the body. Who knows? I'll stick with it for the 28 days and see how I feel. The bad thing about lemon is that it is acidic which isn't good for tooth enamel.

      If I could exercise for the belly fat I'd be able to get rid of it, but since the doctor who repaired my hernia said it was due to soft tissue. I had been exercising pretty hard at the time, and now I'm afraid to do anything to cause another hernia, so I just put up with the belly fat.

      Delete
  3. Those muffins sound good, I want to go to the Natural Grocery soon and will put the Walnut meal on my list.

    I also have a picture taken of the shuttle that took off from Davis Monthon Air Force base here in Tucson, one of the guys went on the roof of out building and took amazing shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can also use almond flour, which might make a better looking muffin. The walnut meal seems to be a little darker, and with the blueberry color in the batter, the muffins have a dark color. I have to say also that the texture is no where as fine as regular flour - I'm going to try almond next time and see if there is much difference.

      Delete
  4. IIRC a teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar in water is suppose to do the same thing as lemon in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they would work about the same. I was drinking water w/apple cider vinegar in the evening to help with indigestion, but with the lemon water in the morning it seems to work very well all day. Plus, I think I get a better night's sleep with no leg cramps. I don't know if it's all related, but I certainly feel better.

      Delete
  5. For your post a few days ago on peroxide.

    http://www.thisblewmymind.com/unknown-uses-hydrogen-peroxide-revealed/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link. I didn't think about removing stains from clothes, and the part about sanitizing toothbrushes is brilliant. There are also quite a few Youtube videos that list uses for Hydrogen Peroxide.

      Delete
  6. My great aunt Carrie who lived to be 102 drank a glass of hot water with lemon every morning. I used to drink coffee and put a lot of sugar in it until I realized that actually I didn't like the taste of coffee and that was why I was putting all the sugar in it. I switched to hot water with lemon and love it. But if you go to a restaurant and ask for it they always say, do you want tea? No, hot water with lemon. Just water? Just water with lemon. It's hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like drinking it for the positive effects I notice, but I can't wait to finish the glass of lemon water and pour my first cup of coffee - with 1/2 & 1/2, NO SUGAR1 Coffee will always be my morning beverage of choice, and I have never wavered since I was a teen and started drinking it. My late day beverage of choice is, of course, a good beer! It's funny that the wait staff in restaurants isn't on to the trend, but that will change.

      Delete
  7. I, too, guzzle a pint of warm water first thing in the morning. I use it to take my morning thyroid pill. Since I have no thyroid at all, it is important for me not to forget this little chore. I have been doing this for about 13 years. At the same time, I fill a 24-ounce jar with water and leave it out on the counter. During the day, I try to make sure that all of that water disappears down my gullet. This little ritual definitely keeps the mail moving!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete