Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, April 1, 2016

Another Friday gone!

The weekends seem to be getting closer together now.  The next 3 days are supposed to be sunny and 77degrees.  That's getting awfully close to 80, which I consider the "hot zone" and I much prefer the 70's.  With all the rain here and snow in the mountains, the weather service is predicting another drought summer for us, whining that the snow pack is below the traditional average, and yada, yada, yada!   I have always tried to not waste water or anything else, but I sure hate them constantly beating the drum about it.  Was all that rain only good for making weeds grow?

I just cleared out some of the cookies on my computer.  I try to do it every week or two, but it has probably been 3 or 4 wks since I last deleted a bunch.  This time I deleted 380 cookies!  That is truly a bunch of crap, folks.  I hate it that companies can put something on my computer without my permission or knowledge.  In some cases they are obviously companies I do business with, but many are no doubt just advertisers on a page I visit.  My computer is running very poorly lately.

I finished lining the drawers in the kitchen, first pulling off the old sticky liner.  I used to like geese and ducks but this liner features geese with silly blue ribbons and bows around their necks.  It was a self-stick product and who knows how long it has been there, so it was difficult pulling it all up.  I managed it though and the kitchen drawers look spectacular, but I never want to see a cutesy goose again!

I had to go back to Costco this afternoon to pick up an Rx for my eye drops, and asked them about rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.  It is a mistake to buy it there because they don't just sell one of anything.  Not only were the bottles of both products in a package of two, but each bottle contains a full quart.  I had hoped to find something in a smaller quantity, so I only bought the peroxide and will look for the alcohol somewhere else.  Costco had individually wrapped alcohol soaked pads, but they were packaged 100 to a box and 4 boxes together.   It's nice if you can split the packages or bottles with someone else, which I often do.  I sure don't need 400 alcohol pads!

I have developed an infection of some sort on the arm where I was stabbed by the oleander bush.  Yesterday it became a blister and if I had alcohol to sterilize a needle I would have lanced it then.   Today it looks different and still hurts.  When I discarded all my meds and OTC's I must have gotten rid of the ointment I now need, but all those products were out of date anyway.  I hate to buy a tube of something I will use once and then let it sit in a cabinet for years.   I think a big bowl of ice cream would make me feel a lot better, but I don't have any on hand.  

I came upon a Youtube channel for a woman who cooks and bakes using alternatives to wheat and sugar.  I'm intrigued by blueberry muffins made with almond flour, although I'll have to go over to Whole Foods to find the flour.  I hate the thought of driving into their parking lot as it's not easy for me to navigate.  If I make these muffins I won't use Stevia but will probably try with a quarter-cup or half-cup of sugar, and then taste the dough to see if I need a bit more.  Hopefully it will be good  with less sugar than most muffins have.  I don't have any idea how almond flour will change the taste of the muffins, but I heard that they are pretty good.  Now to find a low-carb, low-sugar croissant or danish!

 

9 comments:

  1. Have you looked at Elana's Pantry for almond flour recipes? I really like some of the recipes. We have friends who have celiacs disease and I take the almond pulp from making almond milk; dry it and then grind it into almond flour. I sub honey where ever she calls out a syrup that I don't keep and use coconut oil for any fats she has recommended and haven't had any trouble with the results. Here is a link to her web site: https://elanaspantry.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will check out Elana's Pantry, and thanks for the comment. I don't care for honey, so I'll just use sugar, and my dislike of anything coconut is well known. I'll find a sub for coconut oil. It's worth a try.

      Delete
  2. I never did like all the duck stuff just use clear or white liner. I found some that stuck on but it wasn't that really sticky kind and is much earier to remove, but it sure is hard to find.
    I remember when I was a kid my mom and eveyone elses mom used to run the needle threw their hair to sanatize it. Makes you wonder how we all didn't get some kind of horrible infection and need to have something amputated. If it opens or get raw I would use the peroxide on it. Oleanders are nasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This wound from the oleander is really surprising because it's lasted so long. I may end up having to see a doctor to get it lanced. I know they would then want to prescribe an antibiotic which will just mess up my immune system. I'll stay with the peroxide today and see what happens.

      Delete
  3. I think low 80s might be OK for me without the humidity. 88 here yesterday. Now that's too hot. I think all the weather people have jumped on the doom and gloom wagon but if they are right it should kill your weeds along with your grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last fall there were no green yards anywhere - just dead brown grass. I couldn't believe how they all came back when the rains started.

      Delete
  4. I think low 80s might be OK for me without the humidity. 88 here yesterday. Now that's too hot. I think all the weather people have jumped on the doom and gloom wagon but if they are right it should kill your weeds along with your grass.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Without out my phone, I would often lose track of the day of the week:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes check the day, date, or time on my Jitterbug phone. Usually I see it on my computer.

      Delete