Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Rainy Saturday Morning

I'm going to enjoy just sitting here for a little while and drinking my coffee.  The rain has begun but I still hope to get over to the market for a few items, even if I have to carry an umbrella.

I've kept busy this past week looking through some of the photos - I need to return two of the bins to Jeannie as I think I removed all of my pictures.  I've sorted mine by decade (or era) and some are in more specific categories, such as my TDY trips when I worked for the Army.  (TDY stands for temporary duty, and for civilians refers to a business trip.)  My memory is starting to deteriorate - one of my first trips was to Omaha, and while there the team and I went out to the military SAC base on the weekend.  I can't for the life of me remember the name of that base!  They had nuclear devices there, one of which was on display.  The highlight of that trip was the unexpected joy of seeing the space shuttle and plane taxi over to the roadway we were on, turn around, and take off in the opposite direction.  Again, I can't recall many details, but I did get to see it up really close.

Thanks to Kathy who recommended the photo boxes for storage.  I found a website (you can't get them at Staples, which I checked), and I ordered two boxes.  Supposedly they hold up to 1100 photos each, so I think I can get a good start on my monumental task of photo storage.  I do have some albums, and found one with pictures from my various hiking trips in the east.  I discarded quite a few, and was eventually able to get them all into the album (with space for a few more photos that will certainly turn up.)

I also sorted through the sentimental items and feel satisfied that I'm keeping the ones I can go back to and enjoy from time to time.

The most important task I've accomplished is that I arranged for a pickup of items I'm discarding - the truck will be here next Thursday.  Everything is piled up in my living room, and the spare room I was using is looking better and better, with space to actually walk across the room.  I bought some special cleaner for laminate floors which I am anxious to use in each room, once I get the mess cleaned up and everything I'm keeping put away and in its place.  

I've been getting daily updates from my sister, Julie, who is traveling with husband Paul and their golden labradoodle, Tallulah (the dog who loves pearls).  They left Nevada and finally arrived in Cincinnati yesterday.  She wrote me that they stopped at a city park in Oklahoma City to have lunch a few days back.  There was a lake in the park.  Paul was throwing a frisbee to Tallulah, but as it was very windy the frisbee sailed over her head and into the lake.  Lulah didn't miss a beat and went into the lake like a shot!  Traveling with a dog can be so much fun, and I've never really enjoyed it as much after Lady died. 

I don't hear any more raindrops, so I might dash off to the Market in a few minutes.

I did want to ask if anyone has had experience of transferring select digital photos that are stored on a computer (a Mac, preferrably) and having pictures printed.  I rarely go back to look through photos stored on the computer and probably won't look at the printed photos very often, but it sure would be a lot simpler to enjoy them in printed form.  I can find all sorts of instruction online for transferring them from print to the computer, but not the other way around.  I welcome suggestions.

Have a good weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Transfer the photos you want to a thumb drive and then go to Walgreens or a place like that to have them printed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to do that although I always have difficulties with getting photos out of the Mac iPhoto program. That's why I don't back it up as often as I should.

      Delete
  2. I must have been the second one to recommend photo boxes in that post. Glad you found some. Michaels always has them. Love the name Tallulah and for a labradoodle absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why in the world didn't I think of Michaels! I will look there tomorrow, as I'm sure I will use more than the two I've ordered online. Tallulah is such a sweet and loving dog, full of fun, and settling down a bit from the puppy stage. I'd love to have one like her but a check of the prices from breeders set me straight on that!

      Delete
  3. My mind just boggles when I think about all the photos I have & how they are all so basically disorganized. I am absolutely swamped. Good for you keeping your photos organized & staying on top of things. The older we get the harder the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, Al. Don't give me too much credit yet, as I have just started the process of organizing the photos. I have whittled down the paper photos, with some more to be done; I'm just going through the digital stuff, deleting the out of focus, uninteresting ones, etc. Why did I take at least 50 (so far) shots of my hummingbird feeder over the years. I'm sure I'll come across more of them.

      Delete
  4. You are doing quite a job getting through everything. Pictures were tough and I'm glad that job is all done. I have been going through the ones on my computer too and deleting quite a few.

    Hope you made it to the Farmers Market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did make it to the farmer's market, and today got only a few things that I really wanted. Since I'm going to NY at the end of this month I need to stay from anywhere I can spend money, although I rarely skimp on good food.

      Delete