Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 30, 2010

Test Results

I don't have time this evening to write a regular entry, but I did want to share my test results. Everything was just about perfect, and I still can't believe it. Maybe my lightheadedness is due to not eating enough nor at regular intervals. I can't think of anything else.

The real shocker to me was my total cholesterol level. All my life it has hovered around 240 and usually above that. Last year it came down to 192 and I was thrilled. Anyone want to take a guess what it is now? 156 !!! Since I eat anything I want (although I have just tended to get away from red meat but still eat it once in a while), I don't use anything called lite, lo fat, or lo cal, but pour 1/2 & 1/2 into my coffee, use real butter, cheese, etc., so I can only attribute the gradual lowering of cholesterol to the fact that for the past 5 or more years I have taken 3 fish oil capsules a day, 1000mg each. I use Kirkland brand which I buy at Costco although I have used other brands when there has been no Costco nearby, such as when at Savannah last year.

For those who are fighting cholesterol problems and think they must do without decent tasting food, maybe you should try the fish oil capsules. Drugs such as Lipitor may work a bit faster although there are side effects that I've never experienced with the fish oil. Of course my experience is my own and others may not derive the same benefits, but I'm sure happy about this reading. I am in no way trying to give medical advice, but just to share what I've encountered. YMMV (your mileage may vary).

14 comments:

  1. You are very lucky, I just had the worst cholesterol result. I thought I would be better than last year because I have been taking 2 capsules of Omega 3-6-9 oils every day and really try to eat properly including a breakfast of porridge every morning. Hmmmmpf I am crushed. :-( but I am glad for you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have high cholesterol myself. I am on 2 cholesterol meds and it hovers just above 200. I take 2 fish oil capsules but will up that to 3. Good cholesterol news for you.

    Stay Safe

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always great to find out from an independent source that your are "normal". That's great news and I'm glad that your nurse sister convinced you to go for these blood tests.

    Like you, all of my recent blood tests came back normal earlier this year and it's a good feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the good blood test results! We both take Fish Oil and have for years. Bruce does have to take a statin drug as well, because he has heart disease, but we still would never give up the Fish Oil caps (ours are from Costco too) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, like most other folks I know, fall into the high cholesterol group. Have declined the meds for that too so maybe I should be thinking about that fish oil idea. Maybe drop a raw fish or two in my morning shake. I think with that low cholesterol level of yours you just might end up in the Guiness Book of World Records:))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Good for you! I'm guessing 156 is a great reading. Up here our cholesterol is measured differently.

    Are you drinking enough water? That could cause the light headedness. Not eating properly could do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy to hear you got such perfect results and that your cholesterol numbers are so well. We also take the fish oil tablets and has helped John drop his levels as well. I am sure it is not for everyone, but I would rather try the vitamins first than that other junk they tend to push on us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so glad you didn't start taking that potasium stuff! Now, just start eating so you don't fade away to nothing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope you did a dance around your apartment with the good news from the doc. I just started taking the fish oil and am only taking one a day. Guess I'll up that and see what happens next year. My cholesterol isn't too bad but the doc wouldn't mind if I brought it down even more.

    I just found out that I have a Vitamin D deficiency - so I have to take a prescription strength Vitamin D. Never heard of such a thing. And I am in the sun more now than I've ever been in my life.

    Aren't our bodies amazing and complicated things?

    Now go eat something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hope you did a dance around your apartment with the good news from the doc. I just started taking the fish oil and am only taking one a day. Guess I'll up that and see what happens next year. My cholesterol isn't too bad but the doc wouldn't mind if I brought it down even more.

    I just found out that I have a Vitamin D deficiency - so I have to take a prescription strength Vitamin D. Never heard of such a thing. And I am in the sun more now than I've ever been in my life.

    Aren't our bodies amazing and complicated things?

    Now go eat something!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear things are well. I have always been lucky....so far my cholesterol numbers have been good...and I definitely don't eat as I should!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well thats good news Im glad you got your mind at ease about it!! I take fish oil but am not a good pill taker I forget to take it then I forget if Ive taken it!!
    Sounds like you have been busy, I was busy for the past couple of days so trying to catch up...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I take the Omega-3 fish oil too. I get mine at Wal Mart. Upped it to 1400 mg this month. Just have to take one, but, boy is it big! Glad you are OK.Maybe add some protein drinks to your diet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super news Gypsy!I am glad everything worked out in your favor.

    ReplyDelete