Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 12, 2010

Truck tires

I've noticed a subtle difference in the way my truck rides for about the past week, so this morning I took it first thing to Les Schwab. It turns out the inner tire on the right side had only 32# of air, and most of the tires needed some adjustment. When I removed the pressure pro sensors back in Georgia I couldn't find all my metal valve caps, and the place where I took it for service only had plastic. I asked the service tech today to replace them with metal. Maybe that is what could have caused a slow leak? I don't trust plastic valve caps at all, especially for a truck.

The front tires, which were supposedly new when I bought the rig, are showing some signs of wear, so I will have everything checked out again before I leave in September. Now I need to wash the truck which is starting to look yellow from the pollen, which must also be what is making me sneeze a lot!

I just love my truck although I know I should trade it for something smaller and more economical, but I feel safe driving it and that counts for something. Besides, not knowing yet what I will be towing (or if I'll be towing), I'll just keep it for now. I'm not putting many miles on it since I've been in Sacramento - it has just over 87k which isn't bad for a 2002. That diesel is just hitting it's stride.

The rest of the day has been spent just trying to sit still and stay cool.

6 comments:

  1. I think tires loose pressure just sitting. My truck is 2001, has 68,000 miles on it. The best thing to do for diesel is run the crap out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Duramax 2004 just turned 150,000 and finally is starting to loosen up and run right. The diesel mechanic tells me I really should not expect to see more than 300,000 more miles on the engine before it needs a major maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a lot of trouble with our pastic valve stems and didn't have any problem after we swapped them all to metal. Sure hope that solves your problem for you (I think it will).

    ReplyDelete
  4. The valve caps are there to keep little rocks and dirt out, not the air in, so I wouldn't have thought that it mattered what they were made of.
    The main thing about the wearing of tires is to have the front end alignment checked, and even a four wheel alignment once in a while.
    Take care. Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Jim and Sandie, metal valve STEMS are a must for heavy vehicles.
    You have to make sure the tire dealer has them before they mount the tires on the rims, so I usually take my own.
    They will say they have them, and then when you see rubber valve stems they say they were out, to appease you, as not many carry them.
    Take care. Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are seriously thinking of a Pressure Pro system before we head for the southwest this fall so I'll keep that plastic vs steel thing in mind for sure.

    ReplyDelete