Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Noise Reduction Problems

I think I'm having difficulties from using the earplugs to minimize the night-time noise here. (The TV upstairs was still on at 5 am, although at low volume. But if I can hear it, it isn't low enough.)

Nearly all day yesterday I had quick dizzy spells and sensed a loss of equilibrium. A google check indicated that dizzy spells aren't usually life threatening, but can be from a couple of different causes, including vertigo. I have never had vertigo but I don't think my symptoms matched it. What I was feeling could have been due to allergy problems which are rampant now (my black truck is yellow from the pollen ) and possibly something to do with the inner ear.

I tried a fleece headband that is among my backpacking gear, but it doesn't work. There are sound-reduction headbands available but they seem to start at around $60. I'm going to try the plugs again but not insert them very far into my ear, and see what happens.

At one point I thought about going to the emergency room, but decided against it. I have to be pretty convinced that I'm dying to go anywhere near the medical profession. Things are better today, so I'll just wait and see.

I know some would suggest I complain about the noise, but look at it from my perspective as well as how everyone else here would view it. An older woman complains about the stereo and TV of 20-something neighbors. You know where the sentiment would lie. I hope I wasn't this inconsiderate when I was in my 20's, and I fervently hope this isn't payback.

By the time I set off on a trip my new maps are going to be pretty dog-eared. I sat out in the cool morning in my lounger and looked longingly at my planned route as well as the state maps to see where I might be able to switch to some of the back roads. There seem to be a lot of unpaved roads in Montana, and I'd like to steer clear of those if I can, although my F-350 would certainly be up to it.

9 comments:

  1. You could try talking to your neighbours directly. Some young people don't have a clue! Maybe if they knew they were keeping you awake, they'd be more considerate.

    Are you giving up your apartment when you head east?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the light-headedness goes away quickly, Gypsy.

    It could be allergies, or your eyes, or several other things.
    It might be the ear plugs upsetting your equilibrium, so maybe a quick word to the offenders might help.

    I rented an apartment once, I could only stand it for two weeks!

    But if it continues, as an ex-nurse, I really think a trip to the doctor is in order.
    Happy Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless your neighbours upstairs are very reasonable people, complaining might only make the problem worse. It's a very tough situation to be in. Hopefully the earplugs will work better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I know what you mean by trying to steer clear of the medical profession for as long as possible. Dizzyness may be suggestive of an inner ear problem. Maybe those ear plugs were temporarily in too far. Wished I had a solution for your upstairs noise problem, but.......

    ReplyDelete
  5. ask the building manager to tell them a complaint has been made and they need to be quiet between 10-7 am..Thats only fair!!
    Make sure you are drinking plenty of water dehydration can cause dizziness! And Blood pressure, if you are annoyed that causes stress and stress can raise the BP, speaking as a retired Paramedic-
    Relax, drink plenty of water, and make sure you are eating properly-the heat can take a toll on ya too!!! I hope you feel better and enjoy finding those wonderful spots to explore on your maps!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What roads in Montana are you looking at? Roads like Highway 2, 200, 12, 212 are all really good two lane paved roads. And they keep you off the interstate. This summer we have wandered most of those roads and when we leave in a week, we are going down 212.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sure hope you can get the upstairs people to be quiet. It is not too much to ask to be quiet from 10-7. I bet they just don't know how loud they are.
    I hope the dizzy issue clears up soon for you. When I hear the term dizzy I always think of Tommy Roe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Gypsy, I feel sorry for you!

    I used to own a 2 family unit where I lived in the lower and had renters in the upper. Each thump and bump and bout of noisy tv or music, I would remind myself that the rent was making 3/4 of my mortgage payment and I would suffer with it. It wasn't excessive, but I could still hear it.

    One time when the wife was down in my unit paying the rent, and her husband came home, clomped up the wooden stairs in his workboots, slammed the door at the top, and proceeded to clomp on the hardwood floors doing things (per usual routine) When she heard that from my point of view downstairs, she got wide eyed and asked: "Do we ALWAYS sounds like that to you???" Yes..... after that they started taking their shoes off in the foyer and doors were closed rather than slammed. It made a HUGE difference.

    Sometimes people just don't realize---

    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your neighbors need to know they are annoying you. Please talk to them directly or through your building manager. They will never change unless they are told they are making too much noise! Why should you suffer in silence?

    ReplyDelete